Dogs and the beach!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I've been taking the pups to the beach every night, and it has been so much fun! I pick up the kids, we cook dinner, then we load up and head to the beach, anywhere from 7-8 pm.

The first few days I was just taking Klaus. Where I go you have to climb a big dune up, then down, to get to the beach. Now these aren't just hills, it's soft, pale sand, and it is steep. I've been pulled over I don't know how many times by Klaus who will unexpectedly lunge and hit the end of the leash, aside from his tendency to pull hard on the leash both uphill and downhill.

So we have been toddling up and down these dunes, but I make him stay behind me, because the Dog Whisperer says that's what pack leaders do. They don't allow their dogs to race ahead of them, or pull on the leash.

I'm also dealing with exhuberant kids, and I haven't been very good about working on the fine tuning.

But I've been making him walk sedately behind me, both going up (though he's quite a good puller when we're going up...it still isn't very pleasant, and the risk is that you meet somebody else with a dog, and he's the first one there, which I don't want. I want him to wait for permission to greet people and dogs.)

Well he's doing it! No fight about it at all! He tried to sneak by me a couple of times the first couple of days, but now he just falls in behind me..even when we have Mylo, who goes ahead (these trails are single file.

Last night we took Mylo (day 2 for her) and I decided we'd leave her on the leash and forego the hysterical wailing that accompanies her spastic bird chasing and wave jumping (the kids freak out) and the iffy recall (she doesn't have any). Klaus was perfect. He was polite and waited for me to release him and didn't run over anyone, and stayed close (he always does, unless he sees another dog...and he still comes back. Eventually.)

And Mylo did better, too! I had her on a long lead...she pulled and wanted to chase pelicans but eventually she even quit doing that. Going back I had both dogs on one lead, and it worked SUPER well. I think soon I'm going to tie them together and turn them loose, because I can call Klaus back. Somewhere along the line, he's become top dog.

Ok really boring but it was a good outing last night. Mylo was mannerly when we walked back to the car, she fell in behind me, with Klaus, which is a new thing for her.

And they have stopped with the nightly barking/racing around/tug of war episodes that can go on, off and on, for hours in the evening. Klaus is smart, though. After dinner he starts watching me, and if I sit down, he woofs at me. It's time for his walk, dammit.

I'll take pics tonight. I haven't taken the camera when I have both dogs..that's a little risky.

558220_466002846746108_262345745_n.jpg

396125_466002713412788_888844187_n.jpg

306765_466002763412783_994429026_n.jpg

252651_466002466746146_1454438184_n.jpg

Which is which, 'koshergirl'? Looks like a Jack Russell (I may be wrong) but I have no idea what breed the other dog might be. He looks like a bundle of energy, though!

While I am not really a dog person (I prefer cats) we have three dogs at home - two Border Collies (Cooper and Suki) and a Jack Russell named Trevor. Suki pulls on her leash frequently, and no amount of training has managed to get her in line. Cooper isn't so bad, and Trev just trots along, he can't really pull on the lead because he has such little legs!

They love the beach as well - although Trevor hates the waves. He was standing on the sand once and a big wave washed over him and he had a fright, lol.

She's a Jack, or Parson Russell (Parsons have longer legs).

He's a saint bernard.

These are long shots that I've zoomed and cropped so they aren't very detailed, and for that I apologize...I need a better camera!

Klaus is a good boy. He has allergies that affect his ears and every now and then we have to dose him with steroids...and when we do he gets pretty hyper. So he was a little more active than he usually is tonight, lol. He likes the beach though...likes to get in the water. When we go where there are creeks he gets in and swims around. Mylo runs straight into the water but then comes out..she's fearless and when she sees birds she goes after them wherever they are...and on the beach they are usually over the water. We have a lot of fun with the pups.

He only has one foot on the ground. Lol..he and my son are both obsessed with that thing.

My cousin has rat terriers.

Her fave now weighs 3.5 lbs. Mylo weighs around 13..they've never met, haha.

Her ears don't really stand all the way up..it's the wind that does that. He ears tip over in front.

Ah Samson, we can always count on you to elevate the timbre of the discussion....

Where we go, it's so windy and wet that all traces are gone by the time we show up again the next day.

Mylo did poop along the trail last night...I'll take a bag tonight and if it's there I'll pick it up and mail it to you. But I don't hold out much hope.

No, that doesn't happen.

You don't understand..gale force winds. All the time.

Sign? I don't see no stinkin sign.

There's no crap on our beaches...and everybody takes their dogs. In fact, by the time you walk to the water from the dune your tracks are gone. Poor Mylo gets sandblasted.

great pics.

walking dogs on the beach is one of my favorite things in the world

Forum List

Back