Dog Whisperer

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
Now reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580622038/002-4893021-4576855?v=glance&n=283155"]The Dog Whisperer[/ame]. Tis all about nonviolent training. This new pup of mine is smaller than the ones I had in the past and is very anti choke collar. She really freaked out.

The book has a lot of new age lovethyneighbor stuff in it. But the training techniques seem to work very well. I wish the psychology was less than half the book. Check it out from the library if they got it.

Been busy lately. Like I mentioned, I got me a new pup and forgot just how much like an infant they are. Her name is Sadie and she's a Blue Heeler / Beagle mix. Rescued her from the midst of a buncha hoity toity purebreds.

At ten weeks (got her at seven) she is progressing good in training. Almost housebroken (no incidents in two whole days) and we are working on basic skills while playing.

Dolly (that would be the Lady of the House) is a cat person but has taken to Sadie quite well. The cats, now that is another story. The Eldest has officially chased her young butt out of the kids room (aka the cats domain) with stern hisses and much showing of claws.

The pics are at Webshots

For some reason I cannot seem to link to individual pics today. Must be a blond moment.

Abbey Normal said:
Adorable, Winn!

Thanks. Because you are such a discriminating person, you may call me Phil. I don't know who winn is anyway :p

New Camera, it makes the pics huge. I have to figure that out.

Abbey Normal said:
Phil it is!

P.S. What does Pegwinn mean?

Phillip E. Gwinn

I am a simple person. Anyone who steals my identity gets a boring life, until I find them. I tried the handles like SooperStud10654 back in the internet early daze and got bored with it. Besides, imagine the fun when some knucklehead challenges you to "post that crap with your real name". Then you can laugh and say, "at your leisure". Normally they don't post again.

Hobbit said:
The Dog Whisperer kicks @$$. I watch his show all the time. Just remember, calm assertive energy.

HE has a show?

Dude, give.

pegwinn said:
Now reading The Dog Whisperer. Tis all about nonviolent training. This new pup of mine is smaller than the ones I had in the past and is very anti choke collar. She really freaked out.

The book has a lot of new age lovethyneighbor stuff in it. But the training techniques seem to work very well. I wish the psychology was less than half the book. Check it out from the library if they got it.

Been busy lately. Like I mentioned, I got me a new pup and forgot just how much like an infant they are. Her name is Sadie and she's a Blue Heeler / Beagle mix. Rescued her from the midst of a buncha hoity toity purebreds.

At ten weeks (got her at seven) she is progressing good in training. Almost housebroken (no incidents in two whole days) and we are working on basic skills while playing.

Dolly (that would be the Lady of the House) is a cat person but has taken to Sadie quite well. The cats, now that is another story. The Eldest has officially chased her young butt out of the kids room (aka the cats domain) with stern hisses and much showing of claws.

The pics are at Webshots

For some reason I cannot seem to link to individual pics today. Must be a blond moment.

What a cutie! You can definetly see beagle traits! :D

I have a beagle and, they're not easy to train. All that stuff about "pack leader" and "telling them what to do" was a must with this guy. I used to poo-poo that type of advise since I had easily trained dogs in the past. Even crate training was something that I thought was mean and unnecessary. NOT WITH THIS GUY!

Our cat hates him too and has tried to kill him several times. I uncovered her Acme beagle killer the other day, so he's safe for now.

Hobbit said:
The Dog Whisperer kicks @$$. I watch his show all the time. Just remember, calm assertive energy.

And consistant!

PS: I don't get that channel. I'm dependent on his guest appearances on Oprah. :cry:

pegwinn said:
Now reading The Dog Whisperer. Tis all about nonviolent training. This new pup of mine is smaller than the ones I had in the past and is very anti choke collar. She really freaked out.

The pics are at Webshots

Too cute! Once I get all these people out of my house, going to get me a dog!

Said1 said:
What a cutie! You can definetly see beagle traits! :D

I have a beagle and, they're not easy to train. All that stuff about "pack leader" and "telling them what to do" was a must with this guy. I used to poo-poo that type of advise since I had easily trained dogs in the past. Even crate training was something that I thought was mean and unnecessary. NOT WITH THIS GUY!

Our cat hates him too and has tried to kill him several times. I uncovered her Acme beagle killer the other day, so he's safe for now.

I looked up the heeler half and they are supposed to be smart and easy to train. The beagle half is smart and hardheaded. Me and her gonna get along great. It is sooooo funny to watch her with the elder cats. Such ferocity, all nine pounds of her. :teeth:

Hobbit said:
He's on the National Geographic Channel on Fridays and Saturdays (and probably a few times I don't remember).

Watching now. Not sure it's the same guy as wrote the book, but, he's making sense. Thanks again.

pegwinn said:
I looked up the heeler half and they are supposed to be smart and easy to train. The beagle half is smart and hardheaded. Me and her gonna get along great. It is sooooo funny to watch her with the elder cats. Such ferocity, all nine pounds of her. :teeth:

I've heard and read that Heelers can be heard-headed and stubborn too. Beagles are can be TERRIBLE when trying to establish themselves as "pack leader". Mine still torments my daughter - takes stuff out of her school bag, steals treats out of her coat pocket, picks up her toys and runs by her with it in his mouth. :D

Do you hunt? Beagles are great tracking dogs, easy to train too. We have trained him to track a few things, he knows "hot dog" "bag" and of course "get kitty". Kitty being his toy kitty. We hide the above all over the house. In the winter, my daughter used to hide peices of hot dogs in the snow for him to sniff and dig up. Persistant little buggers too! :laugh:

Said1 said:
I've heard and read that Heelers can be heard-headed and stubborn too. Beagles are can be TERRIBLE when trying to establish themselves as "pack leader". Mine still torments my daughter - takes stuff out of her school bag, steals treats out of her coat pocket, picks up her toys and runs by her with it in his mouth. :D

Do you hunt? Beagles are great tracking dogs, easy to train too. We have trained him to track a few things, he knows "hot dog" "bag" and of course "get kitty". Kitty being his toy kitty. We hide the above all over the house. In the winter, my daughter used to hide peices of hot dogs in the snow for him to sniff and dig up. Persistant little buggers too! :laugh:

Those are awesome ideas. I hunt, but not often and never with a dog. Afraid I would get her hurt. She nips at heels. Apparently the herding instinct of a heeler is alive and well.

pegwinn said:
Those are awesome ideas. I hunt, but not often and never with a dog. Afraid I would get her hurt. She nips at heels. Apparently the herding instinct of a heeler is alive and well.

Apparently Beagles don't make good "show" dogs......duh, I wonder why. There are working shows that are neat, where they are judged on concentration, cooperation with other dogs, NOT barking and of course finding the object they are tracking. I swear, the damn things will recite all multiplication tables for food, they're that easy to train. However, no food, no dice. Not even a paw. :laugh:

My father said he had a mixed heeler, said it was his favorite dog. Either way, sounds like you have an interesting mix.

Forum List

Back