Dog Training

Discussion in 'Pets' started by AngelsNDemons, Dec 1, 2012.

1. AngelsNDemons

AngelsNDemons . Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,776
    I have a year and a half old female American Pit that WILL NOT stay out of the garbage...no matter what.

I have heard that hot sauce and chili powder sprinkled onto the garbage helps, because they don't like the scent...it gives a burning sensation in their nostrils when they stick their head in and sniff it.

Should I try that? I really don't know what else to do...it's starting to get old and I am pretty frustrated with her right now.... :cranky:

2. Immortal_Echo

Immortal_Echo Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm a cat-person, but I have experience with dogs. It depends on what the trash is in. Does she dig in the indoor or outdoor thrash can? Putting a smell that bothers the dog on the thrash can would keep it away, but chili powder would mostly cause it pain.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    My two pit bulls love hot sauce. It sounds to me like you haven't established yourself as the Alpha in the pack. My dogs(male 2 yrs 8 mo and female 3yrs 9 mo) used to get into everything when they were very young. Now they never touch anything I designate off limits. If your dog believes you are in charge and not her she will mind you.

4. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Just to know what we're dealing with...is it a covered trash can?

5. AngelsNDemons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,776
    I am mainly a cat person too, I have ALWAYS had a cat around since I was a baby...I have a grey tabby who thinks he's a dog too and get's in the trash too...the trash can in my room, the trash can in the living room,and the main trash they seek to dump and pick through is the kitchen trash...

lmao...as I was writing this, guess what? She got in the frickin' kitchen garbage. :mad:
    I don't know about the hot sauce ...I do not have any hot sauce and I only sprinkled a little bit of chili powder earlier...she STILL got in it.

Damn dog! (I do luvz her much though)♥

6. S.J.

S.J. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,782
    Sit a mouse trap in there, the dog will never go back again.

7. AngelsNDemons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,776
    So how do I discipline her and get her to know this? When I catch her in the act I 'spank' her...I am pretty strict with her in other ways...she listens to me very well when it just comes to telling her "no, don't get on the couch" (when she was in heat... I really need to get her to the vet to get fixed) and other commands...shes just coming out of her heat, she stopped bleeding about a week ago...could that be what affects her? She's been more ornery this time around (second heat) with 'not listening'.....especially when it comes to the garbage.

8. AngelsNDemons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,776
    No... :eusa_shifty:

9. AngelsNDemons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,776
    LOL...I did set a trap there..a couple of weeks ago, my roomie saw a mouse and freaked out and went out in the middle of the night to go buy mouse traps...it's still there because my cat caught the mouse that night and left it in the dining room for all to see when we got up.

The traps are still there by the garbage can and pantry area just in case...even one by the toilet in the bathroom...:lol:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  10. Connery

Connery BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,270
    A couple of things that worked for me is a bottle that squirts water, when the pooch is in the act a spray followed by a reprimand and a time out works wonders. I have a baby gate I use to pull across the door opening after the dog goes into the room. Much like a penitentiary for dogs and I say get in there criminal for good measure. Dogs need consistency and predictability that way the get trained.

No mouse traps and get some cans with covers.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1