Dog Training

April

AngelsNDemons
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2012
Heaven and Hell
I have a year and a half old female American Pit that WILL NOT stay out of the garbage...no matter what.

I have heard that hot sauce and chili powder sprinkled onto the garbage helps, because they don't like the scent...it gives a burning sensation in their nostrils when they stick their head in and sniff it.

Should I try that? I really don't know what else to do...it's starting to get old and I am pretty frustrated with her right now.... :cranky:

I have a year and a half old female American Pit that WILL NOT stay out of the garbage...no matter what.

I have heard that hot sauce and chili powder sprinkled onto the garbage helps, because they don't like the scent...it gives a burning sensation in their nostrils when they stick their head in and sniff it.

Should I try that? I really don't know what else to do...it's starting to get old and I am pretty frustrated with her right now.... :cranky:

I'm a cat-person, but I have experience with dogs. It depends on what the trash is in. Does she dig in the indoor or outdoor thrash can? Putting a smell that bothers the dog on the thrash can would keep it away, but chili powder would mostly cause it pain.

Last edited:

My two pit bulls love hot sauce. It sounds to me like you haven't established yourself as the Alpha in the pack. My dogs(male 2 yrs 8 mo and female 3yrs 9 mo) used to get into everything when they were very young. Now they never touch anything I designate off limits. If your dog believes you are in charge and not her she will mind you.

I'm a cat-person, but I have experience with dogs. It depends on what the trash is in. Does she dig in the indoor or outdoor thrash can? Putting a smell that bothers the dog on the thrash can would keep it away, but chili powder would mostly cause it pain.

I am mainly a cat person too, I have ALWAYS had a cat around since I was a baby...I have a grey tabby who thinks he's a dog too and get's in the trash too...the trash can in my room, the trash can in the living room,and the main trash they seek to dump and pick through is the kitchen trash...

lmao...as I was writing this, guess what? She got in the frickin' kitchen garbage. :mad:
I don't know about the hot sauce ...I do not have any hot sauce and I only sprinkled a little bit of chili powder earlier...she STILL got in it.

Damn dog! (I do luvz her much though)♥

My two pit bulls love hot sauce. It sounds to me like you haven't established yourself as the Alpha in the pack. My dogs(male 2 yrs 8 mo and female 3yrs 9 mo) used to get into everything when they were very young. Now they never touch anything I designate off limits. If your dog believes you are in charge and not her she will mind you.

So how do I discipline her and get her to know this? When I catch her in the act I 'spank' her...I am pretty strict with her in other ways...she listens to me very well when it just comes to telling her "no, don't get on the couch" (when she was in heat... I really need to get her to the vet to get fixed) and other commands...shes just coming out of her heat, she stopped bleeding about a week ago...could that be what affects her? She's been more ornery this time around (second heat) with 'not listening'.....especially when it comes to the garbage.

Sit a mouse trap in there, the dog will never go back again.

LOL...I did set a trap there..a couple of weeks ago, my roomie saw a mouse and freaked out and went out in the middle of the night to go buy mouse traps...it's still there because my cat caught the mouse that night and left it in the dining room for all to see when we got up.

The traps are still there by the garbage can and pantry area just in case...even one by the toilet in the bathroom...:lol:

Last edited:
A couple of things that worked for me is a bottle that squirts water, when the pooch is in the act a spray followed by a reprimand and a time out works wonders. I have a baby gate I use to pull across the door opening after the dog goes into the room. Much like a penitentiary for dogs and I say get in there criminal for good measure. Dogs need consistency and predictability that way the get trained.

No mouse traps and get some cans with covers.

Go here: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-SS-725CS-Powered-Light-Duty-Electric/dp/B000HHO9EE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1354424978&sr=8-11&keywords=dog+shocker]Amazon.com: Fi-Shock SS-725CS AC Powered Light-Duty Electric Fence Charger, 5-Acre Range: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

This inexpensive package will enable you to set up a shock trap in your trash can that will condition your dog to stay away from it.

If you don't care to bother setting it up and having a connection to an AC outlet, just buy an electronic fly swatter, leave it switched on and place it in the trash can on top of the trash. When the dog touches it a few times she'll stay away from it.

Both devices are effective but will not harm the animal.

Last edited:
A couple of things that worked for me is a bottle that squirts water, when the pooch is in the act a spray followed by a reprimand and a time out works wonders. I have a baby gate I use to pull across the door opening after the dog goes into the room. Much like a penitentiary for dogs and I say get in there criminal for good measure. Dogs need consistency and predictability that way the get trained.

Well see, I DO 'punish' her when she does that...she only gets in the garbage when she thinks no one is around to see her...I do the same thing consistently with her when it comes smacking her snout and telling her no, and then I make her go to my room and tell her to lay down and stay, that she's been a 'bad girl'...she lies down and stays. Every other time when it comes to just regular every day commands she minds me...it's when she thinks shes alone when she tries to get into the trash.
Just the trash...that's my only problem with her.
The scavenger instinct in her seems to over rule her when it comes to the garbage.

Go here: Amazon.com: Fi-Shock SS-725CS AC Powered Light-Duty Electric Fence Charger, 5-Acre Range: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This inexpensive package will enable you to set up a shock trap in your trash can that will condition your dog to stay away from it.

If you don't care to bother setting it up and having a connection to an AC outlet, just buy an electronic fly swatter, leave it switched on and place it in the trash can on top of the trash. When the dog touches it a few times she'll stay away from it.

Both devices are effective but will not harm the animal.

Hmmm...I will check that out..thank you. :)

squirt bottles are great.

Cayenne pepper is better then hot sauce....

but what you need to do is scare the crap out of her.... try an air horn. The second you see her in the trash.... air horn.

Well see, I DO 'punish' her when she does that...she only gets in the garbage when she thinks no one is around to see her...I do the same thing consistently with her when it comes smacking her snout and telling her no, and then I make her go to my room and tell her to lay down and stay, that she's been a 'bad girl'...she lies down and stays. Every other time when it comes to just regular every day commands she minds me...it's when she thinks shes alone when she tries to get into the trash.
The scavenger instinct in her seems to over rule her when it comes to the garbage.

I am talking about training,. That takes love, commitment and patience. Every dog I have ever had wanted love and boundaries. It was up to me to provide both. It was also up to me not to set them up. If I did not want them to pee in the house I take them out, if I do not want them in my garbage I cover it or remove it.

but what you need to do is scare the crap out of her.... try an air horn. The second you see her in the trash.... air horn.

Ah cayenne pepper! I didn't think of that...I don't think the squirt bottles will work, only because my roomies grandkids have come over and played quirt guns with her over the summer and she tries to jump catch the water in her mouth...she LOVES it, and the kids, lol.

An air horn! :lmao:
Hell..that'll scare the crap out of everyone here! :laugh:

Thank you.. :)

I am talking about training,. That takes love, commitment and patience. Every dog I have ever had wanted love and boundaries. It was up to me to provide both. It was also up to me not to set them up. If I did not want them to pee in the house I take them out, if I do not want them in my garbage I cover it or remove it.

agreed... you must set yourself as alpha....

Ah cayenne pepper! I didn't think of that...I don't think the squirt bottles will work, only because my roomies grandkids have come over and played quirt guns with her over the summer and she tries to jump catch the water in her mouth...she LOVES it, and the kids, lol.

:D

welcome....

I do give her lot's of love and attention...and I am patient with her. I do let her out to pee and poop...she does not do that inside...like I said, or rather should have put it...is that she knows I am the 'boss' or' alpha female'...I have no other issues with her at all...just the garbage, that's it.

So, what I get from this thread is that the solution is to go out and buy covered garbage cans.
I will do that first thing tomorrow.

:D

welcome....

;)

Forum List

Back