Dog on the Balcony

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Kooshdakhaa, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Why do I have to see these things. When I walk my dogs I pass by a small apartment building, 4-plex maybe, and lately there has been a dog out on a 2nd floor balcony every time I pass by.

It's not a large balcony, it's small...maybe 4' x 8'.

Anyway, every damn time, no matter the time of day, there that poor dog is. Today when I went by the dog was barking at my dogs and a guy came out, no shirt on, big fat white belly hanging out. He told the dog to shut up and the dog immediately crouched down, laid down. That's a bad sign, concerns me that the dog is accustomed to being hit.

So what do I do?

I'm afraid that if I call Animal Control with my concerns they'll contact the guy and it will just make it worse for the dog. He'll take it out on the dog.

I was thinking about knocking on the guy's door and offering to buy the dog. I'm not exactly made of money. Some of my Dad's land he left us might sell soon, though, and I could choose this as my special celebration treat to myself. Knock on the guy's door and say, "I'll give you $500 for that dog out there on the balcony. I used to have one that looked like that and she was my best dog ever!" Something like that. I don't want to put him on the defensive.

Maybe I should try to make contact with one of those radical animal rights groups. This might be just the type of rescue they'd enjoy taking on. I can also research it a little more, ask around the neighborhood. Maybe the owners take the dog out for walks and stuff that I just haven't witnessed. But I did ask some kids that were near by if the dog was always out on the balcony, and they said "Yeah."

I just pray that the dog has some pleasure in life, other than wasting away out on that balcony.

I can't stand this kind of thing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

Wish I were in a place to send ya a few bucks to help out. I like the offer to buy the pup.

I hate seeing that sort of thing as well.

There is a dog on a leash in a yard near here... I pass by and he is always on the damn chain, but one day I was driving by and I saw a young boy out there playing with the dog and he seemed sooooo happy to have some attention.
    That made me feel better (sort of), but I still hate seeing a dog on a chain.

Keep us up to date on what happemd OK?

You have a big heart and thats a good thing.

3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Offering to buy the dog sounds like a good idea. Be super nice to the guy . . maybe you'll get lucky and get the dog out of there.

I don't understand why people have pets then totally ignore them like this; it's animal abuse, imo.

How could anyone be mean to an animal, let alone their very own dog or cat? :sad:

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    buying the dog wont solve the problem...he will just get another one....

tough...i hate to see this and i see it a lot in the country

5. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    I checked on the dog several times today. At 3:00 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:15 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. He was out on the tiny balcony every time. I went back and took a picture. Will upload it and show you when I have more time.

I think tomorrow I am going to make an anonymous call to our Animal Control and see how they would handle something like this. Will also call the local SPCA and Humane Societies.

6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    steal the dog...simple as that...but he will just replace the dog.....

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    go talk to the dude...offer to walk the dog.....see if you can get him started on being a good dog owner

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Document the dog on balcony when the weather makes it a clear case of abandonment/abuse.

Have a witness, too, along with your photos just to make the case airtight

Then contact the ASPCA.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that keeping a dog alone is abuse.

Dogs are highly social creatures and yet many of them are living lives of basic solitary confinement on the end of chain, in a house, whereever.

They're fed and watered, but they're also being psychologically abused, too and the idiot owners don't seem to even notice (or care?)

9. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    I'm not sure you have enough information to declare that this dog is being abused or is unhappy. What does the race, weight or gender of the owner matter at all? My sister's dog immediately responds when I tell him to settle down. That isn't a sign of him being accustomed to being hit, it's a sign of good training.

There is either more to the story than you're telling us or you're just making assumptions. Is the porch clean? Is the dog healthy?

10. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Donate that $500 to an animal shelter.