Dog lapping up luxury

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
March 21, 2004

An indoor swimming pool in western Canada has gone to the dogs. Literally.

Former swimming instructor Kendall De Menech turned her 11-metre home pool into an aquatic therapy centre for pooches more than a year ago and now bathes with more than 50 canines a week.

They splash around in lifejackets and play with tennis balls, Frisbees or other toys.

Some come to flex their muscles or soothe their aching joints, referred to De Menech by vets, as swimming creates less stress on joints than running in a park while warm water increases blood circulation and reduces swelling.

Others are just there to play, brought by doting owners who want to treat their pet.

"The dogs have a blast. Many people told me their dogs start whining when they turn onto my street because they're so excited to get here and swim," De Menech said.

She started the business, dubbed K9H2O, after learning from vets that dog surgeries were on the rise.

"If you're going to invest money for surgery as a pet lover, then it makes sense that you would pay for a therapeutic recovery program for your dog too," she said.

"I know that swimming is good for people. Doctors often say if you have an injury, get into the pool and swim, so there's no reason it couldn't work for dogs to help them rebuild their strength faster," she said.

De Menech installed a ramp in her pool, adapted a shower for dogs and added a therapy room.

She offers swims for older dogs or amputees that can no longer run in the park, swim classes for puppies, a lifesaving program to train dogs to rescue drowning people and even a canine boating etiquette course to teach dogs how to enter and exit a canoe without tipping it.

Also, an acupuncturist visits once a week to treat dogs on site.

Incredibly, De Menech's dog pool is not the first. There are several in Britain which started as aqua therapy centres for race horses and more are starting to appear elsewhere.

There is another in Ontario and two more are planned for the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Quebec.

"It's a crest of the wave," De Menech said.

But pampering pooches and other pets is not without its critics.

Opponents bemoan the growing amount of money that people spend on their pets saying it is partly to blame for a shortage of veterinarians available to treat large farm animals such as pigs and cows or to conduct food inspections.

Over the past 20 years, enrolment at veterinary schools in North America has been flat, said Charles Rhodes, dean of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatchewan.

Bill Joiner brought his dog Zilly to the pool after the puppy suddenly lost control of her back end. She was able to move her legs enough in the water to develop her hind muscles.

"Sometimes, I think we should have put her down, that it would have been better for her. But, we took the chance that she would get better.

"Today, she is healthy and runs with other dogs with no fear, well, she bunny hops. She's a very likeable dog and will likely live to a ripe old age," he said.

Link

Oh boy my dog would love this, but the Snake river will do for now.

Four dogs, whoa that's a pack!

I have one dog. A chocolate lab and he is a big nerd, about 95 pounds right now. He is a pig ear eating machine.:D

Hey they may have help with fishing too. Did you know labradors were first bred to retreive fishing nets.

I saw a show on Animal Planet some time ago. It was about labs and Newfoundlands being trained to rescue drowning people, in pairs the dogs would grap onto the persons wrist and swim them back to shore. Or a single dog would be outfitted with a harness for the person to grab onto, amazing. And they do it all for alittle praise and a treat. Dogs are awesome.

Me too. Chocolate lab is my dream doggie. Mtnbkr...your dog has a cutie name too- Jedi, right?

Point him to the photo...such a cutie putie, Evil.

Boy, but Clyde had personality. That was the most energetic and friendly doggie on earth. He put the bunny to shame!

From the article:
But pampering pooches and other pets is not without its critics.

Opponents bemoan the growing amount of money that people spend on their pets saying it is partly to blame for a shortage of veterinarians available to treat large farm animals such as pigs and cows or to conduct food inspections.

Doesn't look like a subject to bemoan, more so an growing oppurtunity for young animal lovers to go into a prosporous occupation. Seems to me if there was a shortage of vets then there would be a higher demand for their services and more value placed on those services.

they are jsut mad casue your not spending your hard earned money on a cause <I>they</I> consider worthy. i think i have to have the most spoiled poosh though. sleeps with a warm body all the time. doesnt matter if its 100 degrees out hes right there. has his own chair at the table. hell i even cook the little bastard steaks now and then. dog food you say? yeah right, give him that mixed with his people food and he eats around it. spoiled little boston! ill dig up a pic of him later

Originally posted by Johnney
they are jsut mad casue your not spending your hard earned money on a cause <I>they</I> consider worthy

I think you are absolutely correct about that. The thing is it shouldn't be anybodies damn business how much money people choose to spend on their pets. Unfortunately there will always be people who think they know better.

Would love to see a pic of you dog Johnney. I spoil my dog to but I think your's has my dog beat. I'm not letting my dog visit your house, I don't want him getting any ideas. :D

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I think you are absolutely correct about that. The thing is it shouldn't be anybodies damn business how much money people choose to spend on their pets. Unfortunately there will always be people who think they know better.

Would love to see a pic of you dog Johnney. I spoil my dog to but I think your's has my dog beat. I'm not letting my dog visit your house, I don't want him getting any ideas. :D
id spoil yours too.
the only one i wont is the mean ass pit thats next door! hed eat me if he had the chance.
when i had riley outside today, the neighbor on the other side lets his lab and collie run loose for some reason. well riley was going all crazy and i was on the other side of the fence by the garage, so i yelled at him to come over there and he did. while i was bending down to pet him i heard a noise behind me, it was that damned lab. he usually isnt too friendly, and i thought i was about to get bit. but he came up by my, about 2 foot away and went to the fence. riley didnt like that one bit!! he went ape shit...lol
then he went back to his yard. was sweating it for a couple seconds. id hate to strangle soemone over something like that

I am excited !! I got a lhopsa ahopsa today !! She is 8 weeks and adorable I will post a pic as soon as I can !! :D :D

Originally posted by JAMES UHLRICH
I am excited !! I got a lhopsa ahopsa today !! She is 8 weeks and adorable I will post a pic as soon as I can !! :D :D
cool, you almost have a dog!!!
:D

Originally posted by MtnBiker

I don't think you know what spoiled is...ask Jim about Jerome. That dog is so spoiled it's pathetic. He not only sleeps with Jim, he has to sleep on the pillow, under the covers!

He also had the best birthday cake---carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yummy.

Hey, Sandy, what a cutie she must be. 8 weeks...that' sjust about how old Jerome was when we brought him home. They are so adorable at that age! Can't wait for the pic.

When I lived in DC there was a resort just outside. It was a hotel for dogs and cats and had 'suites' - no kennels. These suites had 24cams inside/a television set that played animal plantet all day long, classical music all day (the tv was muted) and a hostess that came in with a flight attendant style serving tray for meals. There was a doggie play room for big and small dogs, a swimming pool, a massage therapist and an outdoor play area.
Pretty neat.
Some people are offended by such services for pets - but where there is a market - go for it. Nothing wrong with pampering your pooch anyway.

I would take my dog to a resort like that if there were one around here. He does get to go over to my friends house when I'm gone. And his dog buddy Archie play constantly and with a pond in the backyard.

Originally posted by Moi
I don't think you know what spoiled is...ask Jim about Jerome. That dog is so spoiled it's pathetic. He not only sleeps with Jim, he has to sleep on the pillow, under the covers!

He also had the best birthday cake---carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yummy.

Wow Moi, you are a good wife. I would be divorced if I spoiled my dog like that. I don't think a 95 pound lab that farts half the night is something I could have in my bed.

Jerome is one lucky pooch, such great parents.:thup:

He not only sleeps with Jim, he has to sleep on the pillow, under the covers!
thats riley!!! wiggle down to about your knees. snores and farts... dirty little bastard

Forum List

Back