Dog Food.

I hear you can make your own. Anyone do this ?

Growing up, my dogs ate venison. Every year, I harvested a deer. We'd eat the tenderloins and other choice parts. The rest was portioned into servings for the dogs and frozen. Depending on the size of the deer, it provide enough dog food for the year...or at least supplement dry food.

Growing up, my dogs ate venison. Every year, I harvested a deer. We'd eat the tenderloins and other choice parts. The rest was portioned into servings for the dogs and frozen. Depending on the size of the deer, it provide enough dog food for the year...or at least supplement dry food.

So....your dog never really gets the excitement of 'New and Improved' venison....

I make a homemade dog food, but it is only a dinner treat and a supplement to the Canine Caviar Lamb and Pearl Millet kibble that they eat. I checked it out with a couple of vets and they did not have a problem with it as long as it is not their main diet. It consists of brown rice, scrambled egg, unsalted canned green beans, boiled hamburger and low-fat cottage cheese. I mix up batches and freeze it. I also freeze the water the hamburger was boiled in after rendering off the fat. Then when I serve it to them I add some diced baked chicken breast, some of the hamburger juice and a couple squirts of salmon oil.

I was going to give them a treat of canned food at dinner, but decided my own recipe was much more wholesome.

I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it. It is kind of a hassle, though, I'll warn you.

I've done it before for my darlings. When I had a pack of catahoulas I would at least supplement with natural diets. 4 was a lot to cook for. I'm hunting a baby black and tan coonhound pup for spring or summer and absolutely I am going to run with home cooking again.

The amount of recalls for even top name brands of dog and catfood is positively crazy.

And I'm talking top named brands like Iams and Eukanuba, Diamond, Wysong and more. Even dog treats have recalled for salmonella. Pigs ears in particular.

Dr. Pitcairn has some of the best most "do able" recipes. And his book "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats" has been in my bookcase for over a decade and a half.

My best training treat is to make my own dried liver treats. I'm telling you my dogs would be ready to do the dishes the laundry and vacuum the house for just a simple liver chip :D
let alone sit or stay.

I've done it before for my darlings. When I had a pack of catahoulas I would at least supplement with natural diets. 4 was a lot to cook for. I'm hunting a baby black and tan coonhound pup for spring or summer and absolutely I am going to run with home cooking again.

The amount of recalls for even top name brands of dog and catfood is positively crazy.

And I'm talking top named brands like Iams and Eukanuba, Diamond, Wysong and more. Even dog treats have recalled for salmonella. Pigs ears in particular.

Dr. Pitcairn has some of the best most "do able" recipes. And his book "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats" has been in my bookcase for over a decade and a half.

My best training treat is to make my own dried liver treats. I'm telling you my dogs would be ready to do the dishes the laundry and vacuum the house for just a simple liver chip :D
let alone sit or stay.

I am afraid of this to. My dog was laying on my bed, and started to heave, so I snatched him up and got him out. When he puked, it was all red and just terrible. I called my vet and tok the dog to the ER for pets and they checked him out. All was well. They figured that he just had a disagreement with the food. Any way, he was real shaky and all that went through my head was "Melamine". I just knew my dog was poisoned. The dog dispelled all the next morning by acting normal. Matter of fact he had his leash ready and was waiting by my door as usual. We have a pet shop here that makes organic dog chow in shop. I think im going to put him on that. Ill still take any recipes if you want to give them.

let alone sit or stay.

I am afraid of this to. My dog was laying on my bed, and started to heave, so I snatched him up and got him out. When he puked, it was all red and just terrible. I called my vet and tok the dog to the ER for pets and they checked him out. All was well. They figured that he just had a disagreement with the food. Any way, he was real shaky and all that went through my head was "Melamine". I just knew my dog was poisoned. The dog dispelled all the next morning by acting normal. Matter of fact he had his leash ready and was waiting by my door as usual. We have a pet shop here that makes organic dog chow in shop. I think im going to put him on that. Ill still take any recipes if you want to give them.

Oh that melamine recall was a nightmare a few years back. At the time I had my four catahoulas and four cats and it was crazy. My eldest cat Pyewacket was more 17 at the time and he was most definitely affected but lived thru it. Constitution like a horse. He refused to die and hung in with us till he was almost 21 :D

But with the melamine no one could even predict what would happen with any of your pets down the road. How it would affect them and/or shorten their lifespan. So many beasties were affected.

I've know a lot of people who used to do raw diets, but many backed off raw because of so many problems with e coli, salmonella etc. Only ones that have access to a butcher they know or their own game that they've processed themselves have stuck with a raw diet.

I'm ready to pack it in for the day in a minute but I'll gladly give you Pitcairn's recipes tomorrow. I'll just put them up in this thread.

What breed and how old? Because Pitcairn's diets are designed for normal to special needs dogs.

And I'll be more than happy to pass them along.

let alone sit or stay.

Oh that melamine recall was a nightmare a few years back. At the time I had my four catahoulas and four cats and it was crazy. My eldest cat Pyewacket was more 17 at the time and he was most definitely affected but lived thru it. Constitution like a horse. He refused to die and hung in with us till he was almost 21 :D

But with the melamine no one could even predict what would happen with any of your pets down the road. How it would affect them and/or shorten their lifespan. So many beasties were affected.

I've know a lot of people who used to do raw diets, but many backed off raw because of so many problems with e coli, salmonella etc. Only ones that have access to a butcher they know or their own game that they've processed themselves have stuck with a raw diet.

I'm ready to pack it in for the day in a minute but I'll gladly give you Pitcairn's recipes tomorrow. I'll just put them up in this thread.

What breed and how old? Because Pitcairn's diets are designed for normal to special needs dogs.

And I'll be more than happy to pass them along.

He is a pit mix, 2 and 1/2 years old, and works out daily.

I simply dumpster dive the local grocery store and feed my pack the tossed out meat dept items.
They also have the chicken house dead chickens to eat also, from down the road,
Road kills.
I do occasionally buy them processed dog food, but you never know what is in that stuff.

I simply dumpster dive the local grocery store and feed my pack the tossed out meat dept items.
Road kills.
I do occasionally buy them processed dog food, but you never know what is in that stuff.

I found what looked like an airsoft BB in a can of Alpo.

Road kills.

I found what looked like an airsoft BB in a can of Alpo.

Alpo has been on the FDA recall list as well.

I've got to go to town for a bit but when I get back I'll type out Pitcairn's recipes for you.

But here are some basic and very easy ones that I've used before and had book marked. BTW I've not worried about keeping the skin on the chicken as long as the dog isn't overweight and none of my babies ever were.

Zucchini and Chicken

Put a whole cleaned chicken in a pan and cover it with three small sliced zucchini and a mashed up clove of garlic.

Cook it at 350 degrees for approximately an hour and a half. When the chicken is completely cooked, take off the skin and bone it.

Shred the chicken and mix with the chopped zucchini and one cup of rice. Feed the dog two to three percent of his body weight daily but divide the amount into the number of daily meals he eats.

Liver, Rice, Vegetables and Chicken

Combine eight cups of uncooked rice with nine cups of water, a half cup of rolled oats and two tsp of salt in a large pot.

Bring the mixture to a boil then add a cup of milk, a quarter cup finely chopped parsley, six ounces of chopped liver, a pound of cooked chopped chicken, a third of a cup of corn or coconut oil, and two cups of mixed carrots, broccoli and other vegetables grated. Keep on low heat as you occasionally stir.

It takes about 20 to 30 minutes for the water to absorb. Remove it from the heat when that occurs, spread it out in a square pan or container, and allow it to cool. Divide it into daily portions.

Microwave Beef and Vegetables

Mix a half pound of inexpensive meat chopped into small pieces, a finely chopped carrot, small potato, and stalk of celery, a tbsp of gravy mix.

Put it in a casserole dish made for the microwave and cook it on high for seven minutes, then on medium for another five minutes. Check periodically to see if it's cooked. Allow it to cool for an hour before feeding.

Egg and Carrot

Mush up a hard boiled egg or make a scrambled egg, mix it with one tbsp of powdered milk and a quarter clove crushed garlic. Mash a quarter cooked carrot and add. Roll a cracker until you create a powder then add it and mix in enough chicken broth and olive oil for a good consistency.

Okey dokey, back now. Pardon any spelling errors. Typing on the fly. And kudos for going this route. I know it's less convenient, more time consuming, and sometimes depending on the recipe more expensive.

I lived thru that melamine nightmare, but even since then there have been so many recalls, and usually the recalls don't happen until a significant number of pets have gotten ill or died.

Dr. Pitcairn's Healthy powder is an excellent additive to these recipes.

2 cups nutritional yeast (natural food stores carry it)

1 cup lecithin granules

1/4 cup kelp powder

1/4 cup bonemeal

Mix all ingredients together in a 1 quart container and refrigerate.

Add to each Pitcairn recipe as required. but if you want to add this to commercial dog food you can do so.

Here's the ratios.

2 to 3 tsps per dayfor medium dogs

1 to 2 tablespoons per day for large dogs.

Now here's some quick and easy home made Pitcairn dog food recipes that will tie you over if you run out the natural food you say you're going to be buying. There are days when you inevitably can't make it to the pet store. And sometimes due to an ordering hiccup a pet store doesn't get a shipment of the type of food you are going to be feeding.

You know the old saying "shit happens". Pardon my french.

Quick Oats and Eggs

1 cup raw rolled oats or 2 cups cooked oatmeal

3 eggs

1 tsp. bonemeal or healthy powder.

Instructions:

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the oats cover, turn off heat, let the oats cook in the water for about 10 minutes or until soft.

Stir in eggs and the bonemeal and then cool.

The yield is about 2 3/4 cups This makes one meal or a half day's ration for a medium dog.

Quick Canine Oatmeal

3/4 cup raw rolled oats or 1 1/2 cooked oatmeal

3/4 tsp bonemeal

1 cup 2% milk

1 egg

Cook oatmeal till soft. Mix with the bonemeal and top with milk. add the Healthy powder (optional). In a separate bowl just mix the egg slightly and let your baby chow down.

Makes a little less than three cups.

And if really desperate don't worry about a couple of burgers hold the mayo and the mustard.:D

Here's my recipe:

3 cups uncooked brown rice
2 cups boiled, drained and crumbled hamburger (1lb raw)
1 can no salt added green beans, drained and chopped (I prefer "cut" rather than french style)
1 16 oz. carton low fat cottage cheese
8 eggs scrambled and chopped into small pieces (so it will mix uniformly with the rest of the ingredients)

I cook the 3 cups of brown rice in a rice cooker with 4 3/4 cups of water. Allow to cool somewhat than put in mixing pan and separate. Add the cooked hamburger, scrambled eggs, green beans and cottage cheese and mix all very well so ingredients are spread uniformly.

I freeze this in 4-cup sized Glad or Ziploc containers (I like the square ones). One batch fills three containers. One container is enough dinner for my five dogs, 2 large (dobermans); 1 medium (shar pei) and two small (minpins). The dobermans each get about a scant cup of this. I add a couple of ounces of chopped baked chicken breast, three tablespoons of the juice the hamburger was cooked in, and three-four squirts of salmon oil (less than a tablespoon).

I form the hamburger into about 1/2 cup sized balls and boil it in salted water. I take the hamburger out, let cool and then crumble it up and freeze in 2-cup portions for the recipe. I cool the liquid overnight in the fridge so the fat solidifies on top, remove the fat and freeze the hamburger juice in containers.

The reason I am freezing these things is because I make batches before I run out...stock up. And since it is perishable food, you have to freeze it.

What I like about this recipe is that the ingredients are all readily available. All human-grade foods, except for the salmon oil I use which is specifically for dogs.

Forum List

Back