DOG DAYS and Monday Morining Coming Down

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
It's hot as hell and the sun's not up,, it's what we call the dog days of summer, even the dog doesn't want to go outside. all the guys are up and i just saw them off fishing. They are going offshore to fish for grouper and snapper and on their way back in will troll for some King Mackeral.. What are you guys doing up so early?

Father's day was fun. made em some fresh salad and boiled shrimp and shrimp fried rice..

Luckily I don't spend much time on the ramp throwing bags anymore, what ever the temperature is you can add 15-20 degrees because of all of the concrete and jet engines. It's been in the mid to high nineties here with high humidity for the last 2 weeks, guys half my age are passing out each day. On top of that, people are stuffing more crap in their already heavy bags to keep from paying for a second bag. When you are inside the baggage compartment, there is no air circulation and you are on your knees. Typical 737s have 150-200 bags that have to be hand stacked deep inside the belly.

It's a great workout and easy to lose a lot of weight but shit, it is really hot!!!!!!:eek:

I believe I'd be amenable to hot after over 2 weeks of wet, and still going, with temps barely hitting 70. The humidity is insufferable. The damned doors are so swollen, no need to worry about not having a security system. Been wonderful for the insects though....

not gonna be too bad today....i could turn the poor little window unit off....but the humidity is gonna be a killer...typical summer days.....building up the heat till it rains...too early for dogs days....

The Dog Days of Summer

Everyone knows that the “dog days of summer” occur during the hottest and muggiest part of the season. Webster defines “dog days” as...
1 : the period between early July and early September when the hot sultry weather of summer usually occurs in the northern hemisphere
2 : a period of stagnation or inactivity

But where does the term come from? Why do we call the hot, sultry days of summer “dog days?”

In ancient times, when the night sky was unobscured by artificial lights and smog, different groups of peoples in different parts of the world drew images in the sky by “connecting the dots” of stars. The images drawn were dependent upon the culture: The Chinese saw different images than the Native Americans, who saw different pictures than the Europeans. These star pictures are now called constellations, and the constellations that are now mapped out in the sky come from our European ancestors.

They saw images of bears, (Ursa Major and Ursa Minor), twins, (Gemini), a bull, (Taurus), and others, including dogs, (Canis Major and Canis Minor).

The brightest of the stars in Canis Major (the big dog) is Sirius, which also happens to be the brightest star in the night sky. In fact, it is so bright that the ancient Romans thought that the earth received heat from it. Look for it in the southern sky (viewed from northern latitudes) during January.

In the summer, however, Sirius, the “dog star,” rises and sets with the sun. During late July Sirius is in conjunction with the sun, and the ancients believed that its heat added to the heat of the sun, creating a stretch of hot and sultry weather. They named this period of time, from 20 days before the conjunction to 20 days after, “dog days” after the dog star.

The conjunction of Sirius with the sun varies somewhat with latitude. And the “precession of the equinoxes” (a gradual drifting of the constellations over time) means that the constellations today are not in exactly the same place in the sky as they were in ancient Rome. Today, dog days occur during the period between July 3 and August 11..,,,,, No, the heat of summer is a direct result of the earth's tilt.

The Dog Days of Summer -- What are they?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

non bio son and i went to dinner...had a good time...he stayed till about 10 ish and booked home

son and father are in wv...doing what..who knows.. they are zip lining today and coming home...it will be nice to hear the noise

still in maine...eh?

Yeah.

Just got back from PA this week.

It was nice to visit a vibrant society for a change of pace.

Maine is boring. Beautiful, clean, safe and boring.

I may be moving South because I know that I need to take Rosetta to the next phase of operation and that requires help (probably both private and government) that I cannot find here.

But I want to keep the house here, too if I possibly can. It's too beautiful to let go...especially in this market.

Didn't get much sleep here last night due to the storms. Lots of thunder and lightening. Very heavy rain. Nellie, the beagle, kept trying to get under my pillow during the storm. It's hard to sleep on a lumpy beagle! Guess I'll have to take a long nap in the recliner this afternoon to make up for the lost sleep last night... I'll turn the ballgame on, get all cozy in the recliner, put Nellie on one side of me and Jingles (the other beagle) on the other and we'll all get a good nap. Maybe. Jingles is a big Cubs fan and when they score she has a tendency to bark. I'm hoping she doesn't bark much this afternoon. I need my rest!

I believe I'd be amenable to hot after over 2 weeks of wet, and still going, with temps barely hitting 70. The humidity is insufferable. The damned doors are so swollen, no need to worry about not having a security system. Been wonderful for the insects though....

Hey, I just noticed you're in NJ. I'm in PA (about an hour from the Jersey border) and yes, the weather has been sucky the past several weeks. Quite sucky.

Hey, I just noticed you're in NJ. I'm in PA (about an hour from the Jersey border) and yes, the weather has been sucky the past several weeks. Quite sucky.

Wouldja mind puttin' in a Change Order? I'm headin' towards Hershey next week for a couple of days.

Forum List

Back