Does unbiased news exist?

Fox is doing an excellent job with giving their viewers unbiased news.

No, they're doing an excellent job with telling you exactly what you want to hear.
Not only do they accurately report the news, they allow opinions from both political sides.
I like Fox because they aren’t spewing propaganda that favors any particular party.

:lol:

If that's what you have to tell yourself, so be it.
I knew that you’d soon be using that “:laugh:” emoji! lol

I’ve noticed that you start your post with it when you’re angry. :)

No, they're doing an excellent job with telling you exactly what you want to hear.
Not only do they accurately report the news, they allow opinions from both political sides.
I like Fox because they aren’t spewing propaganda that favors any particular party.

Again, if that's what you have to tell yourself, so be it.

Again, if that's what you have to tell yourself, so be it.
It was just an observation.
Having spent thousands of hours with psych patients over the past 12years, I sometimes notice things others would miss.
Just saying. :)

You know, I like to get news from several different sources. Why? Because I know that most of the mainstream media is going to throw in their opinion.

Here are the news agencies that I trust. Why do I trust them? Because the reporters very rarely say what their opinion is on a particular subject. They just report what happened, and I make up my own mind. BBC World News and BBC America are both good sources for that. If you have HBO, then I recommend watching VICE News at 6:30 pm CST. It's a 30 min show, and they cover quite a bit in that time. But, that is because they don't have talking heads telling you what they think about the thing being reported on, they just tell you what happened.

As far as the other news agencies? Well, if I want to hear what those on the left side of the aisle are thinking and reporting on, I check out an hour or so of MSNBC. If I want to know what the Trump supporters are going to be talking about that day, I check out 30 min to an hour of FOX News because a lot of times they end up repeating themselves over and over. If I want to hear things from a mainly left side, but with other stories besides the political ones, I check out CNN. If I want to hear about stories all over the country, then I check out Headline News.

But, I also think it's dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket and just get news from sources that supports your political party.

The more I hear and learn about politics and the media that reports on it, the less I trust either (politicians or media outlets). This includes all of the majors (CNN, msnbc, fox too).

I just think that every news site is biased in favor of their political affiliation, regardless of what side they are on.

I guess that led me to wonder, is there such thing as a totally unbiased, and honest news tv show or website out there, even if it's not a U.S based organization but one that does report on U.S. issues (such as BBC).

I'm just trying to find news I can trust, but I feel most U.S. based media is tainted. Perhaps there isn't a single reliable method of getting daily news that you can trust, but I thought I'd ask, to see what places most of you folks go to, to get your news.

TV/radio news in the United States is a FOR PROFIT operation.
Prior to the sunsetting of The Fairness Doctrine it was a non profit public service.
That's the root of the problem.
News media isn't designed to serve the public interest anymore, it is designed to get ratings and generate profit.
Has been that way ever since the Right deregulated the media industry.

This whole conversation is stupid, anyway. It's easy to ignore the narrative and focus on the facts - and as long as you can do that, the "bias" of the source is irrelevant.

If you are capable of thinking critically, it doesn't matter whether you get your news from Fox, Breitbart, or MSNBC.

I get most of my news from this message board. I see a thread, I read the linked article. I look up other articles. I gather the facts, and think about them - and I ignore the narrative built around it.

We haven't had unbiased news since Walter Cronkite retired. News is now a combination of entertainment, disinformation and cheer leading for our team.

I attended Brown in the late 1970's. Majored in journalism.
Cronkite gave a speech there, on the eve of his "retirement". The "official story" about him hitting the CBS mandatory retirement age of 65 was and is bullshit. The man was at the top of his game and was even known as "the most trusted man in America" and could have continued until he was 139 if he wanted.
He told us the real reason. He said that the news was now becoming a business and that it was about to undergo fundamental changes which would affect everything we would see, read and hear, and that he was unwilling and unable to do his job effectively in that atmosphere.

ADDENDUM to #70
Does unbiased news exist?

The newspaper business has always been a business, unlike radio and television news, but the newspaper business also endured more than a couple of scandals during our nation's early history. But even through its beginnings, the personal influence of even conservative and religious revolutionaries like Noah Webster, forced the industry to accept that its profit motive had to invest heavily in an approach that clearly separated editorial opinion from hard news.
The Associated Press is credited with having developed an almost universally accepted and sanctioned style for newswriting
Generations of newspapermen were trained in AP Style and copy editing.
Editorials are not presented as news, and vice versa.

The barriers to all that, the standards, the values represented by AP, or even by Franklin and Webster, are conspicuously absent in most modern TV-radio news.
The public isn't even conditioned anymore to expect any such standard either.

The result is, belief is now thought to prevail over fact. Facts have no value, only opinion does. It is the end of literacy and the triumph of spectacle.

Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle Summary - eNotes.com

Forum List

Back