Does true Conservatism still exist in America?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JZcrayZ, Aug 9, 2008.

1. JZcrayZ

JZcrayZ Obama Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought Conservatism involved limited government, lower spending, and use of the military only for protecting our vital interests?

In its stead we've been given so called "NEO-CONSERVATISM" which takes the worst parts of American Liberalism, namely big government, high spending, and optional wars, and displays it under the banner of Conservatism.

Some may even argue that "NEO-CONSERVATISM" of the Bush administration is a lot like Fascism. It is heavily supported by corporations, limits civil liberties, and starts wars in order to unite the public in putting full faith in their government.

Fortunately for America, the Heritage co. peeps are on their way out. Hopefully the defeat of Ron Paul will be like the defeat of Barry Goldwater and will open the way for a new Ronald Reaganesque figure in the conservative movement.

Until then :eusa_pray:

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I think there IS true conservatism in America.

I don't think those people will ever get into power, again.

True conservatives truly want smaller, less intrusive government, not only less intrusive for business and corporations, but for everyone.

The Reganistas and neo-cons are not true conservatives, as I understand the term.

I say this because when these guys did have the power, they acted much like the power mad liberals they so hate.

I think the last truly conservative POTUS we had was IKE.

He was, and continues to be my model of a decent and truly conservative Republican POTUS.

My other model of a truly conservative POTUS is Teddy Roosevelt.

But of course, his brand of conservatism was so much more liberal (because his time was so different than ours) that expecting any Neo-con to want a man like him in office (one who busts monopolies and creates national parks and so forth) is ridiculous.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Nobody gives a shit about the issues conservatives claim to care about. It's a big joke. People are idiots. America is a big, bloated hunk of dick-stupid. It's turning into a third-world country where nobody speaks English and everybody shits in the street. I long for the cleansing fire.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Define "true conservatism in America." Your version is relative to what you've been told it is.

You bitch about "neo-cons" taking the worst of the liberals, then turn around and pray for another Reagan. Reagan is the Democrat-turned-Republican that started the current trend of the GOP expanding government, spending big, and rallying round the flag at every chance.

Before you start praying for something, you should at least know what it is you are praying for.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,302
    Conservatism today seems mainly a reaction to liberalism. It started not long after FDR turned around the results unfettered (unregulated) capitalism caused. Reagan, considered by many as the icon of conservatism is the beginning of another decline in America in my opinion. The working class and the sense of caring for America have been lost since Reagan. Consider Bush only vetoed childcare and you wonder how we got here. I have yet to see a positive result from conservatism: war, deficits, more poverty, religious interference in our lives, separation of rich and poor grows, corporate corruption and outsourcing, environmental destruction, are not good things yet the believers still believe. So tell me what a true conservative is and what they have done that is good for Americans?

6. greenpartyaz

greenpartyaz Corporate Watchdog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Conservatism is a dying breed. It may have served us well at one time, but it has no place in today's society. As a nation, if we are to survive the next hundred years, we need to change the way we look at each other. Pull yourself up by your boot-straps mentality only harms the nation, and we are degraded as a whole. In Canada, they have a different approach, "We are all in the same boat", "We are all Canadians", "You help your people when they are sick", that is how you build a good society. "We are all in this together." Any time you draw a gun first and shoot first, you have degraded us as a whole. Any time you rob social security to pay for the bloated military budget, you have robbed us of our heart. Any time you ignore poor black people in the Mississippi delta after a disaster, you have taken our soul. :eusa_whistle:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    Way to give up and say you're an idiot who needs your government to walk you through life.

8. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,373
    Conservatism will not die. Its an ideology. Its not an easy ideology because it deals with personal responsibility and accountability. Personal responsibility, low taxes, limited govt...enough for security and infrastructure, would do wonders for this country....NOT voting more presents out of the treasury.

9. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I consider myself a True Conservative, and I have to say I see very few politicians today that I feel share my core values.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,813
    No