Does this even make sense?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Last week I clicked on a link from here to that fucked up messageboard arguewithanything (not the real name) and immediately my internet security program notified me that it blocked about 10 trojans.

Ever since then approximately every 20 minutes I'd get the same notification, no matter that I hadn't been back to that website since.

I finally decided to block arguewithanything from loading any images to my browser and that seems to have done the trick...I've gotten no notifications for over three hours now.

:confused:

are you asking for Mod help for a different forum?

I didn't have a problem like that when I posted there.
I did have a problem with some racist guy following me around calling me a "****** lover" though. :)

yea.. I caught some of that too when I posted there... as a black man! stirred some shit THAT day. There were a few I tried to pull back here though. There are some who post there that would be great additions here.

yeah! I remember there was a few that were good. I can't remember who joined here but I know we have one who crossed over.

Last week I clicked on a link from here to that fucked up messageboard arguewithanything (not the real name) and immediately my internet security program notified me that it blocked about 10 trojans.

Ever since then approximately every 20 minutes I'd get the same notification, no matter that I hadn't been back to that website since.

I finally decided to block arguewithanything from loading any images to my browser and that seems to have done the trick...I've gotten no notifications for over three hours now.

You have stopped the pop-up by blocking the site. However it sounds like a virus is now on your harddrive and your virus scan probably wont pick it up.

Do a full scan though if you haven't already (maybe I should read down a few posts and make sure i'm not repeating advice)

After the full scan report back.

You have stopped the pop-up by blocking the site. However it sounds like a virus is now on your harddrive and your virus scan probably wont pick it up.

Do a full scan though if you haven't already (maybe I should read down a few posts and make sure i'm not repeating advice)

It scans every night and doesn't find anything.

That sounds a whole lot like the 2009XP Antivirus virus. I hope not, the sucker is a bitch, you think you've blocked it and each time you reboot it's back even stronger than before. Very few virus cleaning programs can get rid of it and those that do cost as much as $50.

That sucks you only have 2 solutions.

Pay an expert stupid money to come to your house and fix it or, my option:

1) Save all your files that you don't want to lose (word docs, pictures, ect ect)
2) Format the harddrive
3) Reinstall your OS
4) Reinstall your software
5) Reinstall your files from #1

:(

EDIT: There is a 3rd option...do nothing and hope there is no virus.

I don't think I got the virus, my internet security seems to have completely blocked it...its called gen:trojan.heur.nt8aukhrpji and a few variants.

No, I'm asking if what I described is possible. Are images from a site you once visited capable of acting this way?

Yes. Media files (JPEGs especially) can hide even programs in them. Using stack overflows and errors in coding it's possible to infect a computer. You may have more than your security caught, especially if you are on an OS with open system directories. I would do a deep scan.

No, I'm asking if what I described is possible. Are images from a site you once visited capable of acting this way?

Yes. Media files (JPEGs especially) can hide even programs in them. Using stack overflows and errors in coding it's possible to infect a computer. You may have more than your security caught, especially if you are on an OS with open system directories. I would do a deep scan.
I will but I don't think I got anything. So you're saying that a jpeg could stay hidden in my temp files and keep trying to load something whenever I connect to the internet?

That sounds a whole lot like the 2009XP Antivirus virus. I hope not, the sucker is a bitch, you think you've blocked it and each time you reboot it's back even stronger than before. Very few virus cleaning programs can get rid of it and those that do cost as much as $50.

If there was a betting pool going, I would put money on that.

If there was a betting pool going, I would put money on that.
Sorry! You lose.:lol:

My daughter's computer got that one, I downloaded something that got rid of it. Nasty bugger it was, too.

I will but I don't think I got anything. So you're saying that a jpeg could stay hidden in my temp files and keep trying to load something whenever I connect to the internet?

The JPEG itself, no, what it does is cause the computer to think there is something it needs to do (such as create a new file) using interrupts. Usually the file is created or attached to another in the system directories or an autoload program. Some pick specific files programs. Linux masks the interrupts, so you have to go through the system to access the hard drive, Windoze does not. Anything that uses a JPEG-like compression can do it really, GIFs can to, as well as almost all video. Anything that runs in Flash can as well. Java, not so much (you have to okay access for Java thanks to Sun). MP3s can if you stream them.

The JPEG itself, no, what it does is cause the computer to think there is something it needs to do (such as create a new file) using interrupts. Usually the file is created or attached to another in the system directories or an autoload program. Some pick specific files programs. Linux masks the interrupts, so you have to go through the system to access the hard drive, Windoze does not. Anything that uses a JPEG-like compression can do it really, GIFs can to, as well as almost all video. Anything that runs in Flash can as well. Java, not so much (you have to okay access for Java thanks to Sun). MP3s can if you stream them.
Okay, thanks, KK. For once I won't call you an idiot. ;)

Forum List

Back