Does this anti-discrimination law protect LGBTQ workers? 3 cases ask Supreme Court to decide

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Let’s talk about sex. No, not that sex, but the word “sex” and how the U.S. Supreme Court will interpret it in one of the nation’s most important anti-discrimination laws.

The law in question is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which you probably know as the crowning achievement of the civil rights movement. The act banned segregation on the grounds of race, color, religion and national origin, in all places of public accommodation. And Title VII specifically focused on the workplace and employers. It prohibits employers from discriminating against workers because of their race, color, religion, national origin or sex. Title VII also created the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to bring lawsuits on behalf of workers who claim discrimination.

The part of Title VII that bars employers from discriminating “because of…sex” is at the heart of three cases that the Supreme Court will hear Oct. 8, during the first week of the new 2019 term.

...Not surprisingly, the three cases have triggered a tsunami of amicus briefs with opinions from across the political, ideological, religious, academic, health, labor and business spectrums. The briefs in the transgender case can be found here and the briefs in the two sexual orientation cases can be found here. And you can read transcripts of the Oct. 8 arguments later that day and listen to the audio on Oct. 11 on the court’s website.
Does this anti-discrimination law protect LGBTQ workers? 3 cases ask Supreme Court to decide

I haven't had time to go through the briefs yet.

Civil Rights says "prohibits employers from discriminating against workers because of their race"
This is why Affirmative Action an illegal policy because is it discriminates based on gender and race.
A gay person is probably much more likely to be discriminated against in employment because of his race.
Affirmative Action in college admissions is also illegal.
We have a lot more work to do on Civil Rights, but the Left is holding back progress.

whites are discriminated against
whites about 65% of the population and blacks 13%
race.jpg

I don't believe the Supreme Court is going to rule that sex in the Civil Rights Act includes gay and trans people. I don't believe it does either as that wasn't the intention of the law at the time of its creation. A separate federal law would be needed, but it doesn't have much of a chance to pass with the current makeup of Congress.

I don't believe the Supreme Court is going to rule that sex in the Civil Rights Act includes gay and trans people. I don't believe it does either as that wasn't the intention of the law at the time of its creation. A separate federal law would be needed, but it doesn't have much of a chance to pass with the current makeup of Congress.
The Civil Rights Act can be amended to include sexual orientation.

Otherwise, yes – neither the Supreme Court will rule, nor will Congress act, to protect gay and transgender Americans from discrimination in public accommodations and the workplace.

Forum List

Back