Does The Universe Have a Purpose?

Observation of what? As Dr. Tyson points out, we have been in the universe for a very short time and restricted to a miniscule part of it. The period of time in which we have been observing much of anything beyond our own atmosphere would, on a universal clock, be counted in small percentages of a millisecond. Yet he says he is 99% certain? I think not. On a universal scale, we have observed almost nothing.

In the absence of evidence, any conclusion is belief. The only evidence presented in that video was that of our own ignorance. I certainly concede that point. But I do not follow how our ignorance is evidence of our knowledge.

We don't only have the ability to observe the present, we can also look into the past (and do so).

But I also agree, 99% certainty is quite a stretch.

99% certainty is that religion is wrong.

There is no "purpose" for the universe.

I agree with that.

99% certainty that science can't come up with a purpose for the universe any more than religion can.

Maybe Life is just a chemical reaction playing out over time and We are just a phase?

Please make the most of every opportunity, eh?

`

we do not have the intelligence/information to get anywhere close to an answer

I like what Neil says. :thup:

Neil rocks. :rock:

Like the sentiments expressed in Babylon 5 by DeLenn,

""The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out. And, as we have both learned, sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective."
- "A Distant Star"

""All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall."
- "Confessions and Lamentations"

"We believe that the Universe itself is conscious in a way we can never truly understand. It is engaged in a search for meaning, so it breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of life. We are the Universe, trying to explain itself."
- "Passing Through Gethesemane"

If you loved Star Trek but wish it'd gone more into spirituality, try B5 :)

Was going to post something similar as my personal view generally parallels that sentiment.
Really wish it wasn't from a cheesy show however.:eusa_shifty:

Sure we do. We can use our own experiences as creators as a proxy. It's not that hard.

First clue, the purpose will be revealed in what it became, not how it started.

Sure we do. We can use our own experiences as creators as a proxy. It's not that hard.

Ass-u-me-ing a purpose exists. Kind of a big assumption.

What if life just is, and the life you've been given truly is YOURS to do with what you want?

Ass-u-me-ing a purpose exists. Kind of a big assumption.

What if life just is, and the life you've been given truly is YOURS to do with what you want?
Not that big of an assumption and your life is yours to do as you want, more or less.

Not that big of an assumption and your life is yours to do as you want, more or less.

More or less....

Seems to me that the more people ass-u-me that the universe has a purpose, the less freedom they choose to claim.

Just ask any Sharia Muslim.....​

More or less....

Seems to me that the more people ass-u-me that the universe has a purpose, the less freedom they choose to claim.

Just ask any Sharia Muslim.....​
I don't see why. It's not like the universe is for any one person. We have the exact same freedom whether we believe the universe has a purpose or not.

....you REALLY are in fairytale/Star Wars/freak/etc land if you think you know anything about :
'''god''
purpose of the Universe
creation
etc

please explain:
god
creation
and let's have some specifics please

....you REALLY are in fairytale/Star Wars/freak/etc land if you think you know anything about :
'''god''
purpose of the Universe
creation
etc
I am amazed that you don’t know.

We don't understand 95% of the matter and energy in the universe so how can anyone even think they can divine a purpose from the 5% we do understand?

Forum List

Back