Does The Universe Have a Purpose?

Does The Universe Have a Purpose?

where there is life there is purpose ...

well, if the universe is the result of random shit happening, I guess its purpose is to be a place where random shit happens.......if I believed that to be true, I would dedicate my life to making sure lots of random shit happened to everyone around me.....

Last edited:
Basically, I think he's saying that most of Time used thus far by the universe we inhabit has been sans Monkeys.

On the one hand, thinking that it's all about us and our Image truly is childishly arrogant.....
On the other hand... perhaps the better spin is to consider this as just the beginning of the Time of Man.​

"Hey, hey, we're The Monkeys!"​

To the Stars, Kids. To The Stars.

It's Time to put the ancient stories in to proper perspective, learn to live together, and and drive this fucker back to The Stars.

`

I like what Neil says. :thup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pL5vzIMAhs

Neil rocks. :rock:

Like the sentiments expressed in Babylon 5 by DeLenn,

""The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out. And, as we have both learned, sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective."
- "A Distant Star"

""All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall."
- "Confessions and Lamentations"

"We believe that the Universe itself is conscious in a way we can never truly understand. It is engaged in a search for meaning, so it breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of life. We are the Universe, trying to explain itself."
- "Passing Through Gethesemane"

If you loved Star Trek but wish it'd gone more into spirituality, try B5 :)

:beer: Shit happens!

Sometimes it's Good Shit!! :beer:
Announcer: "So here's your last deal Ms. Presky -- now, which would would you rather do? Hit this dude over the head with a bag of sugar ...or beat out that rhythm on the drums..."
Mrs. Presky: "Er....ahhhhh....I'll take the bag."
Announcer: "You mean your gonna trade this four foot cube of 18 carrot Swiss Bouillon and the snake knives, Mrs. Presky, all for that little bag ???"
Mrs. Presky: "Yes!"
Announcer: "Well alllllright!! Open it up!!"
Mrs. Presky: "Why. . why . . this is a bag of shit!"
Announcer: "But it's really GREAT shit, Mrs Presky."
-- Firesign Theatre, Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers.

Firesign-Theatre-Dont-Crush-That-Dwarf-Hand-Me-The-Pliers-Cover.jpg

well, if the universe is the result of random shit happening, I guess its purpose is to be a place where random shit happens.......if I believed that to be true, I would dedicate my life to making sure lots of random shit happened to everyone around me.....

If the Universe is random you don't need to forcibly do random in order to be random.

An intelligent and logical argument, but pure speculation. His statement about the chances of his being correct can only be described as faith. I get why he believes what he believes, but that does not make it any less belief.

Actually, it's not a belief.

It's a "conclusion" based on observation which is subject to change if some event comes along to prove that conclusion wrong.

In a nutshell? That's science.

I think Hawking is overrated in his philosophy, but not in his physics.

His thoughts on advanced civilizations being hostile towards us are ill founded, imo.

If the Universe is random you don't need to forcibly do random in order to be random.

sets fire to GT's house and says "what?"............

sets fire to GT's house and says "what?"............

*looks at homeowner's policy*

*Giggles, waits 15 minutes before calling fire dept. :lol:*

An intelligent and logical argument, but pure speculation. His statement about the chances of his being correct can only be described as faith. I get why he believes what he believes, but that does not make it any less belief.

Actually, it's not a belief.

It's a "conclusion" based on observation which is subject to change if some event comes along to prove that conclusion wrong.

In a nutshell? That's science.

Observation of what? As Dr. Tyson points out, we have been in the universe for a very short time and restricted to a miniscule part of it. The period of time in which we have been observing much of anything beyond our own atmosphere would, on a universal clock, be counted in small percentages of a millisecond. Yet he says he is 99% certain? I think not. On a universal scale, we have observed almost nothing.

In the absence of evidence, any conclusion is belief. The only evidence presented in that video was that of our own ignorance. I certainly concede that point. But I do not follow how our ignorance is evidence of our knowledge.

Forum List

Back