CDZ Does the Texas church shooting change the gun debate? 6 seconds to stop the attacker....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
It is there for the world to see.....a shooter is stopped in 6 seconds by an armed citizen....lives are lost, but many more lives are saved...how many?

In Russia, a shooter with a 5 shot, pump action shotgun killed 20 people and injured 70 with the police station 300 meters away from the location.

In the Texas Church shooting, a shooter with a 5 shot, pump action shotgun killed two, but in the 6 seconds he revealed himself, he was dead, and stopped by an armed citizen.

Can you honestly say that this doesn't create doubt if you are an anti-gun supporter....?

It is there for the world to see.....a shooter is stopped in 6 seconds by an armed citizen....lives are lost, but many more lives are saved...how many?

In Russia, a shooter with a 5 shot, pump action shotgun killed 20 people and injured 70 with the police station 300 meters away from the location.

In the Texas Church shooting, a shooter with a 5 shot, pump action shotgun killed two, but in the 6 seconds he revealed himself, he was dead, and stopped by an armed citizen.

Can you honestly say that this doesn't create doubt if you are an anti-gun supporter....?

If I was deranged idiot who wanted to shoot up a church, Texas is the last state I’d pick to do it in. Shit, you probably can’t walk 100 yards in any city in Texas with out passing someone who is legally armed. Fool, should have gone to Delaware.

I don't think of myself as anti-gun, more like anti-gun violence. If Texas churches want to allow guns that is their call. I think the debate should be over how this, seemingly deranged, person got possession of a firearm and what can be done to prevent future incidents.

I don't think of myself as anti-gun, more like anti-gun violence. If Texas churches want to allow guns that is their call. I think the debate should be over how this, seemingly deranged, person got possession of a firearm and what can be done to prevent future incidents.

These goobers have invariably have attracted legal attention to themselves for violent acts many time previous to their big finish. Lock them up, and leave them there. Or shoot them. I don't much care either way.

These goobers have invariably have attracted legal attention to themselves for violent acts many time previous to their big finish. Lock them up, and leave them there. Or shoot them. I don't much care either way.
So you're saying that not everyone gets the right to bear arms? Agreed. And if they have not yet done violence but just have acted erratically? A life sentence seems way too harsh. How about we keep a national list of such people and forbid anyone from selling or giving them a weapon?

So you're saying that not everyone gets the right to bear arms? Agreed. And if they have not yet done violence but just have acted erratically? A life sentence seems way too harsh. How about we keep a national list of such people and forbid anyone from selling or giving them a weapon?

Who makes the list, and what are the criterion for making the list? And that becomes the sticking point...because we don't trust people like you to be in charge of that list.

Who makes the list, and what are the criterion for making the list? And that becomes the sticking point...because we don't trust people like you to be in charge of that list.
As my mother always said, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of nothing". I think I may have misquoted her...

I know what we can do! Make illegal guns illegal! That would have stopped him!

Umm we already do that

I often wonder why we haven't made murder illegal yet.......I mean...shouldn't we do that to stop people from killing each other?

Umm we already do that
That's a relief to hear. How is it enforced exactly?

I often wonder why we haven't made murder illegal yet.......I mean...shouldn't we do that to stop people from killing each other?
So your point is that, since some people will break the law, we shouldn't have laws?

2aguy, it will not matter in the gun debate for people who are just anti-gun. I try to avoid places where I cannot carry, not because of fear, but for the same reason I avoid known rough bars, bad neighborhoods, and arguing with people in public. It is just good conservative common sense where I come from, as I see it. I have personally never had to pull my weapon since I was licensed and hopefully I can say that as long as I live. Still, the people at El Paso Walmart, and Memphis, Walmart and the bar in Ohio did not think they might need one either. When I hake back country I carry rope, knives, multiple means of making fire and a first aid kit, and a old fashion compass, sometimes two and a topo map, even on day trips. I kayak about the same way. A weapon does not add much weight and I still use common sense in public places, I keep it out of sight, and go to the range every once in a while to maintain proficiency even thou I have had weapons all my life. It is just good caution. I, my family and people I associate with are worth it. It is just a little more margin if we are at the right place at the wrong time.

Won't work. People already forbidden to have a weapon get them anyway.

Regulate criminals, not constitutional rights.

So your point is that, since some people will break the law, we shouldn't have laws?

Why do you guys always use that fake talking point? What we have in this country is a political party, the democrat party, that does everything it can to let repeat gun offenders out of jail on bond, or no bond, and out of prison on short sentences....sentences they change to make as short as possible......then the repeat gun offender goes out, gets an illegal gun and shoots people......

Here is my solution to both regular gun criminals and mass pubic shooters....and they actually work....

I support a life sentence on any criminal who uses a gun for an actual gun crime..... and 30 years if a criminal is caught in possession of a gun, even if they are not using it at that moment for crime.

This will dry up gun crime over night. Criminals will stop using guns for robberies, rapes and murders.....and those who do will be gone forever......

Criminals will also stop walking around with guns in their pants......which is the leading cause of random gang shootings in our cities. if they are stopped by police, with a gun in their pants, they are gone for 30 years...they will stop carrying those guns, and random gang violence will end.

You implement this with two other things...

1) No More Bargaining Away the Gun Charge.........it must be against the law to bargain away a gun charge as part of a plea deal....this stops.

2) When a criminal is arrested for any crime, and booked in...they will be read the announcement that any use of a crime is a life sentence without parole, owning or carrying a gun as a felon is a 30 year sentence without parole....when they are released from custody...the same will be read to them again....when they meet their parole officer it will be read to them again.....the U.S. government will also buy and send out Public announcements on this policy on t.v. radio. and cable......

That is how you stop gun crime over night.

Mass shooters are different..... but with only 93 people killed in mass public shootings in 2018, they are not the major problem in gun crime.

The value in my plan......it actually targets the individuals actually using guns to commit crimes and murder people....

It does not require new background check laws, it does not require gun licensing, licensing gun owners, gun registration, new taxes, fees or regulations on guns...

By making gun crime a life sentence, criminals will stop using guns for crime and will stop carrying guns around for protection.....

Also....a nurse, with a legal gun, driving from Pennsylvania, to New Jersey, will not be considered a gun criminal.....that will end. Criminals with a record of crime, caught with a gun will get 30 years, no deals.....and criminals who use guns for actual crime...robbing the local store, rape, robbery, murder.....life without parole...

This, of course, eliminates the need for more gun control laws...we can already do this.....
Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

2) get the media to stop covering mass shootings like it is the Oscars.....

3) We are already seeing this...get people who know these nuts to report these nuts....

4) Make sure the police who know these nuts arrest these nuts when they have the chance so they will pop on background checks....
What does each do to stop mass shooters....

1) keeps shooters from targeting people, since they target gun free zones.

2) The media not covering it like they are the criminal oscars deters copycats...just like they stopped covering teen suicides to stop the copycat effect

3) The only way to stop mass shooters, since they commit no other crime, is for family, coworkers and neighbors to report their violent behavior....the Odessa shooter should have felonies for the crimes he was committing but they didn't report his shooting his weapon from his front porch....

4) The Parkland shooter had 33 contacts with police and numerous contacts with police at his school.....due to Obama's "Promise Program" the police never arrested him for the felonies he committed....so he didn't pop on the background check..

Forum List

Back