Does the State of California needs to come down on Hollywood?

Feb 28, 2009
Millions of watts of power used every day in movie and TV production there. Impossibly-bright stage lighting, environmental controls, Hummer limos and private jets for the stars, CO2 "smoke" and massive, power-gulping computers for special effects, and so on ad-nauseum, all in the name of entertainment.

Aren't California's grid and pollution problems worth a look into this, before they start going after Joe six-pack and his 50" TV set? Do the klieg lights have energy star ratings? The Hummer Limos -- are these hybrids? Is there any thought given to global warming and killing off Polar bears, in Hollywood production?

Thoughts to ponder.

Last edited:
Millions of watts of power used every day in movie and TV production there. Impossibly-bright stage lighting, environmental controls, Hummer limos and private jets for the stars, CO2 "smoke" and massive, power-gulping computers for special effects, and so on ad-nauseum, all in the name of entertainment.

Aren't California's grid and pollution problems worth a look into this, before they start going after Joe six-pack and his 50" TV set? Do the klieg lights have energy star ratings? The Hummer Limos -- are these hybrids? Is there any thought given to global warming and killing off Polar bears, in Hollywood production?

Thoughts to ponder.

Thos are good points MM.

Now, Can you send that memo to Las Vegas too while you're at it?

I've always wondered how much power is used in that town each day.

• Banned

Thoughts to ponder.

Thos are good points MM.

All of Vegas' power is hydroelectric, from the Hoover Dam. Completely emission-free.

However, it would be within the realm of Nevada to regulate the wattage they use, just like California is trying to do with Joe Six-pack's 50 inch TV.

Were Nevada going after Joe's TV, I would then be making a thread about huge power use in Vegas.

See how neat this is?

Thoughts to ponder.

Thos are good points MM.

All of Vegas' power is hydroelectric, from the Hoover Dam. Completely emission-free.

However, it would be within the realm of Nevada to regulate the wattage they use, just like California is trying to do with Joe Six-pack's 50 inch TV.

Were Nevada going after Joe's TV, I would then be making a thread about huge power use in Vegas.

See how neat this is?

If you think it's neat, then I think it's neat, since you're such a neat-o guy! :thup:

• Banned
Thos are good points MM.

See how neat this is?

If you think it's neat, then I think it's neat, since you're such a neat-o guy! :thup:
Well..... Thank you momma, thankyouverymuuuuuch.....

But seriously, this can of worms works nationwide. If we're really serious about CO2 in the atmosphere, we should first be outlawing any and all use of it for entertainment, recreational and other frivolous purposes such as fake smoke for pro team entrances, music concerts, wrestling events, Hollywood special effects, and so on. We should ban its use in toys such as paint ball guns, anything that uses a CO2 canister, for starters.

If it's REALLY so bad, we should ban dry ice for everything but emergency medical use. We should phase out the use of CO2 in firefighting, where it's been mostly superseded by better technologies. We should outlaw it for water treatment, where millions of tons of it annually are manufactured, used and released into the atmosphere, and where it's also been superseded.

If it's REALLY that much of a danger, its manufacture should be carefully regulated and TAXED, instead of what we have now which is nothing. You can buy a CO2 machine and make as much of it as you want to your heart's content.

OK, dingleberry, how is the process of making and using dry ice going to change the amount of CO2 going into the atmosphere. It is made by using CO2 that is the byproduct of other industrial processes, and would be released into the atmosphere immediatly were it not made into dry ice.

What is Dry Ice? | How to Make Dry Ice | Forms of Dry Ice | Uses of Dry Ice

Dry ice is made from pure carbon dioxide that is a (recycled) byproduct of other industrial processes such as the manufacture of ethanol. The gaseous carbon dioxide (CO2) is first pressurized and refrigerated to form liquid CO2, which then is allowed to expand in an atmospheric chamber.

The primary source for non-cyclic CO2 is the burning of fossil fuels. And the amount that we have put into the atmosphere represents a 40% increase in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. It would be far higher were it not for the fact that the oceans have been absorbing vast amounts CO2. Enough that the oceans are becoming acidic enough in places to affect the viability of single celled organisms at the bottom of the food chain.

Acidic oceans may tangle food chain - UPI.com

By ROSALIE WESTENSKOW, UPI CorrespondentOrder reprintsTHE DALLES, Ore., June 6 (UPI) -- Increased carbon levels in ocean water could have devastating impacts on marine life, scientists testified Thursday at a congressional hearing.

Although most of the concern about carbon emissions has focused on the atmosphere and resulting temperature changes, accumulation of carbon dioxide in the ocean also could have disturbing outcomes, experts said at the hearing, which examined legislation that would create a program to study how the ocean responds to increased carbon levels.

Ocean surface waters quickly absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, so as carbon concentrations rise in the skies, they also skyrocket in the watery depths that cover almost 70 percent of the planet. As carbon dioxide increases in oceans, the acidity of the water also rises, and this change could affect a wide variety of organisms, said Scott Doney, senior scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, a non-profit research institute based in Woods Hole, Mass.

"Greater acidity slows the growth or even dissolves ocean plant and animal shells built from calcium carbonate," Doney told representatives in the House Committee on Energy and the Environment. "Acidification thus threatens a wide range of marine organisms, from microscopic plankton and shellfish to massive coral reefs."

If small organisms, like phytoplankton, are knocked out by acidity, the ripples would be far-reaching, said David Adamec, head of ocean sciences at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

"If the amount of phytoplankton is reduced, you reduce the amount of photosynthesis going on in the ocean," Adamec told United Press International. "Those little guys are responsible for half of the oxygen you're breathing right now."

Cold Facts on Global Warming

Fig.2. Absorption of ultraviolet, visible, and infrared radiation by various gases in the atmosphere. Most of the ultraviolet light (below 0.3 microns) is absorbed by ozone (O3) and oxygen (O2). Carbon dioxide has three large absorption bands in the infrared region at about 2.7, 4.3, and 15 microns. Water has several absorption bands in the infrared, and even has some absorption well into the microwave region. There is already sufficient CO2 in the atmosphere to absorb almost all of the radiation from the sun or from the surface of the earth in the principal CO2 absorption bands. (Data from ref. [1], page 93; original data are from Howard et al [21] and Goody [22]).
The net effect of all these processes is that doubling carbon dioxide would not double the amount of global warming. In fact, the effect of carbon dioxide is roughly logarithmic. Each time carbon dioxide (or some other greenhouse gas) is doubled, the increase in temperature is the same as the previous increase. The reason for this is that, eventually, all the longwave radiation that can be absorbed has already been absorbed. It would be analogous to closing more and more shades over the windows of your house on a sunny day -- it soon reaches the point where doubling the number of shades can't make it any darker.

Not even bullshit. Just shit. And you should be able to recognize it.

What is the primary greenhouse gas at any given moment? Not CO2, but water vapor. When you double the CO2, you create more heat which causes more water to evaporate.Which heats things up much more.

Now if it were just the water vapor, not a problem. An atmospheric residence time of less than 10 days means it will be gone before there is significant heating. Unless, of course, there is something that is still retaining the heat that caused the evaporation in the first place. Something like CO2 with an atmospheric residence time of about 200 years.

As for his other arguement concerning the net effect of continued doublings, how does the cretin explain Venus?

Damn, Fact, you should be able to see the simple flaws in this fellows so called logic.

OK, dingleberry, how is the process of making and using dry ice going to change the amount of CO2 going into the atmosphere.
You source ONE link which makes the recycle claim. But the FACT is, MOST dry ice is made from CO2 manufactured specifically for that purpose. Ever seen a CO2 machine? Hint: most of the more "efficient" ones use natural gas.

And thus far, I notice you're not addressing either the topic of the thread, or the half-dozen or so other frivolous uses of CO2. All of which should be BANNED if we really and truly believe CO2 is a threat to the environment.

Again, the topic:

Does the State of California need to come down on Hollywood?

Aren't California's grid, budget and pollution problems worth a look into this, before they start going after Joe six-pack and his 50" TV set? Do the klieg lights have energy star ratings? The Hummer Limos -- are these hybrids? Is there any thought given to global warming and killing off Polar bears, in Hollywood production?

I don't think all those far left Hollywood types would be happy with that. They would probably say, "no, no, we'll buy carbon credits." and then raise the price of movie tickets.

I personally don't buy into this global warming senario. I think we are on our way to the next ice age. In the year 2232 Canada covered by glacial ice and sea levels down 14 feet. lol

I don't think all those far left Hollywood types would be happy with that. They would probably say, "no, no, we'll buy carbon credits." and then raise the price of movie tickets.

I personally don't buy into this global warming senario. I think we are on our way to the next ice age. In the year 2232 Canada covered by glacial ice and sea levels down 14 feet. lol

And your evidence on which this opinion is based is?

And your evidence on which this opinion is based is?

What? personal opinions aren't allowed?

Forum List

Back