Does the middle class have a future?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
I wonder: With the current middle class squeeze and future automation, can the middle class as we know it survive? I was thinking, when in the past things were automated e.g: the mechanical loom, luddites, the automobile, people adapted so why not now? Could it be that we could go through another 1950's style boom?
I suppose NO.
How will this influence on the whole political and economical system?
TPE-AMERICAN-MIDDLE-CLASS-banner1.jpg

don't know but I GUESS 'NO' , seems to me that jobs pay way less and that's even with many job seekers having some college or supposed skills . Far different then when I got my first good job as a 20 year old looking for a job . All I did was fill out the application and take a physical plus that job was worth 30-40 years with excellent benefits and a railroad rate of pay plus retirement . That got me into a job where 3 kids were raised and my wife didn't go to work until the kids were raised . I think that I was middle class , don't know for sure but I do know that I had it made !!

Nope. All you little worker ants with no true talent are gonna get replaced by machines. You will all become poor, and eventually culled off, harvested, or enslaved by the upper class who will evolve to become like gods.

Last edited:
I wonder: With the current middle class squeeze and future automation, can the middle class as we know it survive? I was thinking, when in the past things were automated e.g: the mechanical loom, luddites, the automobile, people adapted so why not now? Could it be that we could go through another 1950's style boom?
I suppose NO.
In my opinion, as long as voters continue to elect and to re-elect professional politicians to serve in government, the Middle Class has no future.

I suppose NO.
In my opinion, as long as voters continue to elect and to re-elect professional politicians to serve in government, the Middle Class has no future.

I truly believe that the middle class is being culled out. I truly do. In America, there are the very rich and the very poor. those left (in the middle) are not being replaced as they retire. Wages are now for part-timers. One of the primary reasons the welfare rolls are swelling. Those on the government dole will be far easier to control in the next 10 or so years.

whats it got to do with politicians Sonny . I do agree with getting rid of them though . Seems to me that the USA doesn't make anything anymore and I think that that's part of the problem .

Republicans want to crush the Middle Class and worship billionaires.

and herding the poor rabble into the cities where they can get services , food , shelter , healthcare and as you say be controlled Randall .

I suppose NO.

I truly believe that the middle class is being culled out. I truly do. In America, there are the very rich and the very poor. those left (in the middle) are not being replaced as they retire. Wages are now for part-timers. One of the primary reasons the welfare rolls are swelling. Those on the government dole will be far easier to control in the next 10 or so years.
I understand. I write about it all the time. I wrote about this same issue here on this forum earlier today.

whats it got to do with politicians Sonny . I do agree with getting rid of them though . Seems to me that the USA doesn't make anything anymore and I think that that's part of the problem .
Do politicians make the rules? Do politicians enact our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies? Do politicians allow businesses to off-shore out-source jobs un-penalized? Do politicians allow millions of illegal immigrants to live and work in this country? Do politicians allow businesses to import labor un-penalized? I wrote a piece on this subject earlier today on this forum, in detail. I'll find it for you and direct you to it. It will answer your questions.

yep , I see your point Sonny !! I'm aware but just didn't think about that .

What is more indicative of "Middle Class"?
Income or mindset?
2nd, 3rd and 4th quintiles of income are all classified as typical middle income but there is a large difference between the lower 2nd quintile and the upper 4th quintile.

I feel middle class today.
If I got a 50% pay cut tomorrow I'd feel middle class.
If I got a 50% pay increase tomorrow I'd feel middle class.

Middle America is being squeezed out of existence. WE pay for the tax shelters for the wealthy. WE pay for corporate bailouts. WE pay for bailouts to save Wallstreet, who turns their back on middle America when their profits are huge.

All the while the GOP defends the wealthy in their shafting of the tax system and the GOP defends multinational corporations as they shirk paying their fair share of taxes. The Repub party is in business for the rich guys and the low information poor, many of whom are in the south.

Middle America is being squeezed out of existence. WE pay for the tax shelters for the wealthy. WE pay for corporate bailouts. WE pay for bailouts to save Wallstreet, who turns their back on middle America when their profits are huge.

All the while the GOP defends the wealthy in their shafting of the tax system and the GOP defends multinational corporations as they shirk paying their fair share of taxes. The Repub party is in business for the rich guys and the low information poor, many of whom are in the south.
Certainly a contributing factor, no doubt.

Take a look at what is going on..
1). Right to work legislation
2). Education cuts
3) Cuts to senior care
4). Proposing that SS is a PONZI scheme
The very things that are needed by middle class people are on the chopping block. At least this is what is happening where I live. It is definitely part of a plan. A bunch of that money is being proposed to be given away to private firms. Scary.

As I see the problem:
I don't think a "middle class" is innately somehow magical, it just means "a class of people who have enough resources to live good lives". Basically, everyone should be middle class, or rather affluent middle class - there's no need for the starving poor class or the exploitative rich class.
I hope there is something reasonable in my words.

Forum List

Back