Does the media think we're all Homer Simpson?

walwor

May 19, 2004
Kentucky, USA
If Homer J. Simpson were watching the war:

1. The war goes on more than a day or two. (D'oh!!))
2. We take Baghdad in a matter of weeks. (Woo hoo!)
3. There's still some fighting going on. (D'oh!)
4. Saddam's statue comes down, Iraqis are happy. (Woo hoo!)
5. Saddam supporters and foreign "jihadists" stage terrorist-style attacks dressed as civilians. (D'oh!)
6. Saddam is captured. (Woo hoo!)
7. Outlaw cleric Sadr controls Najaf, fighting breaks out. (D'oh!)
8. Pressure put on Sadr by top cleric al-Sistani to stop resisting. (Woo hoo!)
9. Photographs of prisoner abuse released. (D'oh!)
10. Iraqi general insists that resistance end. (Woo hoo!)
11. John Kerry's whole campaign based on hoping U.S. will fail in Iraq and he wants to spend his 4 years apologizing to the world. (D'oh!)
12. George W. Bush has more backbone than any other world leader today. (Woo hoo!)
13. Polls show Bush may lose. (D'oh!)
14. American public realizes that Kerry has Big Loser Attitude and reelects Bush. (Woo hoo!)

Okay, the last one is wishful thinking. But seriously, President Kerry? >shivers<

If we were all Homer Simpson does that mean we would have sporadic neighborhood wars with the Presidents Father?

I don't know that the media thinks we are collectively stupid. I do, however, think that media understands they collectively the American people have extremely short attention spans, like their news in easily digestible sound bite format, and don't really want to think much about what's going on the country. It's a sad commentary, but the media is driven by what will get people to watch the news or buy a paper, and as long as the people continue to take their news in pellet form like a bunch of laboratory rats, this is what the media will do.

acludem

[qoute]'s a sad commentary, but the media is driven by what will get people to watch the news or buy a paper, and as long as the people continue to take their news in pellet form like a bunch of laboratory rats, this is what the media will do.[/qoute]

The sad part being the irresponsible attitude of the media.

But it is not like the media is just making these events up. That way of interpreting it is just your spin on it. Perhaps you think that you are homer simpson. :poke: no offense

no doubt the media is currupt and irrisponsible, but that is because this culture is obsessed with violence like many others. If they can make people scared so they stayed glued and attentive then they will to get more money for advertisment slots.

Originally posted by Insertalias
no doubt the media is currupt and irrisponsible, but that is because this culture is obsessed with violence like many others. If they can make people scared so they stayed glued and attentive then they will to get more money for advertisment slots.

I agree, as long as your saying any other alternative to a free capitalist media is simply more corrupt as well.

Our media is the best it gets.

Americans like to be entertained. The news is just too boring without the lights, graphics and music. I don't have as much of a problem with that as much as I do the spin that is placed on stories. Sad indeed.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
NEGATIVE! I say the media is more likely spitting out what you want to hear depending what side of the political party that you reside with. If CNN can spew out something so negative about what the current administration is doing in Iraq while FOX is saying the complete opposite it must make one wonder who they are after for their listening audience. Well that's just my opinion on it!

I look at our media as a bunch of attention hounds. It doesn't mean anything bad in that context, it's just clear CNN especially would cater to an anti-American agenda because of the worldwide audience it broadcasts to. It expectially has a "projection problem" with how America is not being liked, because American's like CNN less and less.

With declining standards for obectivity someday CNN and Al-Jazeera could merge!

Sadly enough, there are way too many Americans that fit the HJS profile which is what makes the Simpsons such a funny show.

I agree with all the citicism the media in general gets, we have to keep 'em honest, but in reality I feel that it is up to us to not be their slaves.

For my own education, I try to pick SOME sources I trust(a constantly changing list) and go with them for the most part. Anyone with half a brain can see through MOST of the propoganda.

I don't really know what the answer is, obviously we all want some spin-free news.

What irritates me is the reporting, for example, on how oil prices are now at record highs.

Not in one case has the media actually noted that adjusting for inflation in real dollars, this is actually not true.

Because they think most Homers out there won't get that. Inflation? Huh?

But Lisa has to actually get on the web and actually reveal what is a "record high" is really a farce in any real sense of money.

They just hype it up and the hype would deflate and leave them essentially without a news story, IF they mentioned the record, er, really isn't yet close to a real measure. That's the "Enquirer" effect on mass media, it's been that way ever since the printing press.

the internet is the best media in my book. all extremes and many middle of the road sources. I don't watch tv much on purpose anymore but I read as much as possible online. it does however require a significant amount of fact checking and bullshit detecting similar to the mainstream news providers but it offers a broader and more comprehensive dataset.

btw, I'm the simpson family rolled into one, at times smart like lisa, dumb like homer, concerned like marge and bad like bart heh :)

Originally posted by Aquarian
the internet is the best media in my book. all extremes and many middle of the road sources. I don't watch tv much on purpose anymore but I read as much as possible online. it does however require a significant amount of fact checking and bullshit detecting similar to the mainstream news providers but it offers a broader and more comprehensive dataset.

btw, I'm the simpson family rolled into one, at times smart like lisa, dumb like homer, concerned like marge and bad like bart heh :)

Lol, I'm actually surfing the net like Lisa and watching Fox news like Homer at the same time. On the message board I feel like Mr. Burns somethimes.

I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until ... Oh, what the hell. I'll just crush him like an ant.

Mr. Burns: So, Smithers, what are you doing this weekend. Something gay, I expect?
Smithers: What?!!
Mr. Burns: You know, light and fancy free! Mothers, lock up your daughters! Smithers is on the town!
Smithers: Oh! Of course.

Ooh, the Germans are mad at me. I'm so scared! Oooh, the Germans!

Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.

Oh man I could have alot of fun quoting Simpsons today. It feels like that sort of day.

Originally posted by nycflasher
"Hot dogs........."

"That's two independent thought alarms in one day. Willie, the children are over-stimulated. Remove all the colored chalk from the classrooms."

Originally posted by Sir Evil
NEGATIVE! I say the media is more likely spitting out what you want to hear depending what side of the political party that you reside with. If CNN can spew out something so negative about what the current administration is doing in Iraq while FOX is saying the complete opposite it must make one wonder who they are after for their listening audience. Well that's just my opinion on it!

I agree entirely!

I'm surprised nobody took the bait on the Bush/Kerry remarks. Oh, well.

The Homer J. mentality comes in when people fail to keep the big picture in perspective- 9/11 should be foremost in all our minds. Taking over Baghdad and capturing Saddam Hussein should be big major victories, but obviously we are to believe all is lost because "more deaths have occurred since President Bush declared an end to formal hostilities" which we hear droned over and over, as if we didn't know there was going to be resistance. We keep hearing that "we don't have a plan to win the peace" but that's bullshit- we have a plan, we're implementing the friggin plan, but no one, not Bush or Cheney or anyone, promised it would be a day at the beach. The same attitude prevailed while the war was going on- we don't have enough soldiers, the supply lines are stretched too thin, the Iraqi resistance is too fierce, oh we're right outside of Baghdad? Well, that's where we'll really see the shit hit the fan, that's where the crack elite Saddam Hussein Brigade is entrenched, they're fanatical and they can stop bullets in midair with mind power alone, we really don't have enough soldiers for that, the supply lines are really stretched thin now- what, we took Baghdad? Well I guess that means it's all over, and not a moment too soon, we practically lost. Oh, there's more resistance? See, we told you we're never going to win, all the Iraqis will become terrorists against us, it's another Vietnam, they don't love us, they want us to go home. Uh- -we captured Saddam? I hope we're treating him right, did he get a home-cooked meal? boy that was really humiliating when they showed him getting his teeth checked.

I take it back, it's an insult to Homer Simpson to compare him with these people.

Yeah, the media, both right (FoxNewsFairlyBiased) and left (Franken+Moore) and other (??Quo Vadis, NBC ??) think we're fascinated by flashy pictures (whoo whoo!! pretty explosions!!)
and fortune-cookie-short summaries (Terror War: Losing?).
But if you've got a similar attitude about Kerry, you're definitely one of the Homers. He's a slow starter in campaigns, never shows his real message 'till the Sox are in the playoffs. His message isn't out because he's waiting to see how June 30 goes in Iraq -- at least.

This election cycle is about Bush, straight up.
If it turns out we don't like JK in charge, we'll vote in Guiliani in '08.
Meanwhile, I don't like Bush's methods (distract, disdain, and never ever admit you ever changed your mind about anything) and sure don't like his mercenary tactics.

Forum List

Back