Does the first amendment allow someone to display an ISIS flag?

The Star of David represents fascism, apartheid, oppression, genocide, murder, and crimes against humanity. ...... :cool:
star-trek-picard-facepalm-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1381.gif

The Star of David represents fascism, apartheid, oppression, genocide, murder, and crimes against humanity. ...... :cool:

Fell ok now? I think that your embarrassing post represents fascism, intolerance and ignorance.
Look at this. Support it?

The First Amendment would protect the display of the ISIS flag as freedom of speech or freedom of religion -- but not freedom of stupidity for inviting FBI surveillance, demonstrations, and death threats.

What if you watch your neighbors fly Islamic State flags on their homes, apartment windows or display them on their cars, aren't they protected by their US Constitutional First amendment to freedom of speech?

Could they be arrested even though they have their rights?

Yes, that is protected speech.

Many links would seem to agree. However,

"02.23.15
Justice Department: We’ll Go After ISIS’s Twitter Army
Not all speech is free—if it’s in support of ISIS. Helping the terror group spread the word online is a violation of anti-terror laws, a top Justice Department official says.

Help spread ISIS propaganda on Twitter or Facebook, and you could go to jail. That’s the message the Justice Department sent Monday, as a top official said he is willing to indict people who assist ISIS with its use and production of social media. The announcement raises questions about where the government would draw the line between support for a terrorist group and legally protected free speech."
Justice Department We ll Go After ISIS s Twitter Army - The Daily Beast

Is what I would think. Displaying a terror group's flag or otherwise promoting their propaganda may not be protected like a country's flag would be. We'll have to wait and see what the Courts decide.
Just flying the ISIS flag should be protected under free speech. That being said, flying the ISIS flag would probably be seen as probable cause for a judge to issue a search warrant to go search the place for illegal terrorist related activities. Big brother will be watching this person very closely.

You realize, of course, that the confederate flag has been banned from some state owned property and the ISIS flag is not flown at any state owned property, right? Individual citizens may fly either, or both flags on property they own.

Those are Walmart cakes. Walmart said they wouldn't do a confederate flag cake and someone went in with an isis flag. The clerk didn't have a clue what it was but once Walmart management found out about it they put that on the no-do list as well. But, of course, facts aren't important in this.

What if you watch your neighbors fly Islamic State flags on their homes, apartment windows or display them on their cars, aren't they protected by their US Constitutional First amendment to freedom of speech?

Maybe not arrested, but they would get harassed and threatened with investigation.

The First Amendment may say it's legal
but Common Sense may say it's not a good idea.

Similar to promoting the expansion of a Mosque near the 9/11 Ground Zero site.
It's legal but not a good idea, given the public response.

Same with the whole Confederate Flag issue. When protesting Obama within a political context, when it's understood a political statement is being made, that's clearly exercising the First Amendment within that context.*

But in a city that just suffered a blatantly racial attack on a Black church,
not such a good idea.

OK to drive around Texas with stickers and plates if the Confederate Flag is one of the Six Flags recognized in Texas history. But I wouldn't recommend showing up at a Black church waving that flag on Juneteenth when everyone is celebrating Emancipation from slavery.

======

*NOTE: I interpret that to mean how one side sees it as defending States' Rights or power over tyrannical abuse of federal authority (while others may see it as Black White racism). I see the BIGGER statement being made is that just because one group sees the flag as racist symbolism, doesn't diminish the equal rights of others to use the flag to symbolize state sovereignty WITHIN the federal union, but not forced under federal mandates. Both can be going on at the same time, as part of the nature of free speech.

Last edited:

well of course they can.

the bullshit about the Con flag was pure censorship. The left absolutely HATES freedom, but I think things like flags lets me know what kind of people I'm dealing with.

well of course they can.

the bullshit about the Con flag was pure censorship. The left absolutely HATES freedom, but I think things like flags lets me know what kind of people I'm dealing with.

Florida veteran battles city for right to fly flags honoring service members Fox News

Remember this Florida Veteran facing $300 in fines per day
for flying flags honoring Vets at his restaurant that violated local codes he argued restricted his freedom of expression.

This is where the Founding Fathers might remind us to apply some Common Sense.

My common sense tells me that if a governing entity gets so "big for its britches" that we can't even treat a common citizen
as a human being, but as a number, then that larger jurisdiction needs to be branched or localized further where there IS personal and direct accountability between govt and people. People need to answer directly to the next highest level, in order to have equal representation and protection. If the govt gets too big and removed from the people, it creates these problems of losing contact and representation, which affects due process and conflict resolution to redress grievances.

In Houston, I am pushing the idea of redelegating the legal authority of the city to be localized per district, through respective legal departments that answer to constituents and address grievances affecting the residents, city govt, and the public.

The first amendment of the US Constitution protects him. So go ahead, feel free to unfurl your ISIS flags!! Be proud!!

Just remember the Constitution won't stop your house from being burnt to the ground.

:lol:

Yes, they have the right, no, they cannot be arrested because flying a flag in not against the law. Of course, they will most likely not see the next day, but that is also their right! God bless America!

Forum List

Back