Does the fall of an empire follow a pattern?

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
I was watching videos of people on the outskirts of Mariupol dig defensive positions into the hill to protect their town with nothing more than outdated rifles against a foreign army of far superior strength and could not help but remember another people who dug into hills and because of the lack of basic ammunition gave the order, "Do not fire until you see the whites of their eyes." Is that too far of a stretch or is there not a repetitive dynamic here?

Empires fall when the ideas the empire was founded upon turn into other ideas over time. Rome fell when it adopted Christianity instead of a wider more inclusive 'be whatever you want' system. The US is falling now because the ideas the Founders had about keeping religion out of government are not how the government is today where every politician's expected to be religious.

Empires fall when the ideas the empire was founded upon turn into other ideas over time. Rome fell when it adopted Christianity instead of a wider more inclusive 'be whatever you want' system. The US is falling now because the ideas the Founders had about keeping religion out of government are not how the government is today where every politician's expected to be religious.
So why did the British empire fall?

So why did the British empire fall?

It hasn't. God save the Queen! :)

I was watching videos of people on the outskirts of Mariupol dig defensive positions into the hill to protect their town with nothing more than outdated rifles against a foreign army of far superior strength and could not help but remember another people who dug into hills and because of the lack of basic ammunition gave the order, "Do not fire until you see the whites of their eyes." Is that too far of a stretch or is there not a repetitive dynamic here?
Oppressed people will revolt by whatever means. The citizens of the United States are well on their way to it as we speak. Power and oppression can push people only so far before they defend themselves. Back a wild animal into a corner and see what happens.

Oppressed people will revolt by whatever means. The citizens of the United States are well on their way to it as we speak. Power and oppression can push people only so far before they defend themselves. Back a wild animal into a corner and see what happens.
Try to grab a handful of food out of a dog's food dish and see what happens also. I don't care how fat that dog is he is still going to try and bite the hand that feeds it.

Try to grab a handful of food out of a dog's food dish and see what happens also. I don't care how fat that dog is he is still going to try and bite the hand that feeds it.
My wife has a dog that will do the same thing.

Political/media deception is a powerful tool. The French thought they were safe after WW1 by building a series of bunkers along the Maginot Line. German tanks merely bypassed the fortifications in yet another invasion of France. FDR thought he would defend the Philippines merely by appointing his favorite general. The U.S. lost an entire Army just four months after Pearl Harbor.

New Topics

Forum List

Back