Does The Democratic Party Have a Future?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
With what looks like tidal waves coming in November, sweeping the Democrats out of office, one has to ask, does the party have a future?
The post Depression coalition of union workers, blacks, minorities and urban dwellers seems to be breaking down. The Left, mostly upscale whites on the coasts, are unhappy with Obama for not delivering on the agenda they thought he would. He was too conservative.
The unions are unhappy because he has not delivered on card check, one of their last best hopes.
Southern moderates (so called bluedogs) are unhappy because their bribed and cajoled support for healthcare will mean many of them will lose the election. Others who opposed the leadership will continue to do so. For them, Obama was too liberal.
The Dems also took power by forging new coalitions in the South and Midwest with pro gun and anti abortion people by promising to take those off the table as issues. Now there is nothing preventing the party from going back. Indeed, there was mumbling about more aggressive pro abortion stances recently. This will alienate the new Democrat affiliates that brought them to power.
So after this election, what's next? The Democrats ran in '06 on stopping the war, making the economy better and improving ethics in Congress. They failed utterly on all three counts. Unqualified to govern, is their only role that of loyal opposition?

In this Two-Party System,they will always have a future. Some sheep will never get enough of that endless Democrat Race-Baiting & Class Warfare stuff. That stuff really does sell in dumbed-down America. I'm pretty sure it will always sell. So they have a future but it might not be as bright as they once thought. I just read a great article over at The American Spectator on Redistricting and what it means for both parties. Red States are definitely on the rise while Blue States are in decline. The coming Redistricting will be the biggest victory for the GOP it has enjoyed in many many years. So yes the Democrats do have a future but it's definitely not as bright as the Republican Party's future.

Of course they have a future.

Look at 2006, 2008. The Reps got kicked out on their ass and have come roaring back.

If they don't live up to expectations they will get kicked out and the Dems will come roaring back.

Two party system. It sucks. But there it is.

A better question is this: Are the Republican full of themselves and believe myths they themselves created?

People thought the DNC was toast after 2004. In two years they retook both the House and Senate. 2 years after that they took the White House.

Afte 2008, word on the street is that the GOP was toast. 2 years later they're poised to take the House and make gains in the Senate.

The two parties won't ever really die. They may change, but they don't die. If the DNC loses in November, they'll come back at some future point.

But come back as what?
The Dums came back last time largely by making alliance with pro gun, anti abortion types in the mid west and south. Similarly the GOP won in 1980 etc with the "Reagan Democrats" (who seem to be back in the GOP camp this year).
But now that coalition is falling apart from its own contradictions and general failure of leadership. So where will they go for a winning strategy?
The question is probably unanswerable now because they will respond to whatever happens in the next two years.

The Democrats will keep both the majority in the House and the Senate. Mark my words. Now if they fail to initiate real progressive change between now and the next election, then they have something to be afraid of.

The Democrats will keep both the majority in the House and the Senate. Mark my words. Now if they fail to initiate real progressive change between now and the next election, then they have something to be afraid of.

The dems should keep the senate. I doubt they'll keep the house, unfortunately. but really, the idiots claiming this is somehow the death knell of the democratic party are brain dead and clearly have no sense of history.

Funny how they delude themselves into forgetting that they just got soundly thrashed two years ago. They play this way, they'll get thrashed again.

buncha loons. :cuckoo:

Honestly, I don't know. If I did know that, I'd be buying up lottery tickets.

Part of what lets the other party bounce back is that typically the party in power falls apart. The GOP opened the door for the DNC to come back in 2006 after repeatedly mocking independents while simultaneously alienating their base. The DNC managed to blow it in 2 years time by ticking off their base with watered down healthcare and financial reform while ticking off moderates and independents with spectacular spending.

Chances are good the new guys heading to Washington will eventually screw it up and open the door for the DNC again. Chances are VERY good that it won't take long at all. It seems party control is flipping pretty fast these days. If the Tea Party goes social conservative, chances are the GOP won't even take the White House in 2012.

Like I said, it's hard to know what will happen. Once a party gets power holding that power is pretty difficult. The winners squabble over the spoils, while the losers regroup in shared misery. That's just how life works.

The dems should keep the senate. I doubt they'll keep the house, unfortunately. but really, the idiots claiming this is somehow the death knell of the democratic party are brain dead and clearly have no sense of history.

Funny how they delude themselves into forgetting that they just got soundly thrashed two years ago. They play this way, they'll get thrashed again.

buncha loons. :cuckoo:

I think they will. But of course, that's my opinion. It'll be an interesting year for sure.

My thoughts too. Taking the Senate in 2006 required a once in a life time stars aligning kind of situation. Getting to 60 in 2008 was pretty similar.

The GOP will probably take the House, but the Senate will probably stay in the DNC's hands with slim control.

The Rabbi, unless you were born sometime after the first Tuesday of November in 2006, when the exact same thing was said about the republicans, there's no excuse for how ridiculously retarded this thread is.

Last edited:
In this Two-Party System,they will always have a future. Some sheep will never get enough of that endless Democrat Race-Baiting & Class Warfare stuff. That stuff really does sell in dumbed-down America. I'm pretty sure it will always sell. So they have a future but it might not be as bright as they once thought. I just read a great article over at The American Spectator on Redistricting and what it means for both parties. Red States are definitely on the rise while Blue States are in decline. The coming Redistricting will be the biggest victory for the GOP it has enjoyed in many many years. So yes the Democrats do have a future but it's definitely not as bright as the Republican Party's future.

Neither party has a consistant or reasonable ideology, which allows for various large coalitions to make up the majority of the voting bloc within each party. When these coalitions come to power the party crumbles within itself.

It's really not the two party system that I'm frustrated with, it's the fact that both parties are rediculously inconsistant and downright worthless. How can you claim to be for individual liberties and fiscal responsability and persue an unconstitutional and useless "War on Drugs"? How can you claim to be for freedom and victims rights and be anti-second amendment?

It's like both parties are on some planet where their inconsistancies actually make sense to them, and we ALL owe them our votes because we live in a two party system. Even within the two party system we could vote for Republicans and Democrats that actually adhere to their principles, and we'd be alright.

Of course that's not gonna happen and we're just going to keep complaining about how f-ed up the two-party system is while voting for the same people that make the two party system so f-ed up, and then taunting the other side when they loose when their loss actually means... N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

The Dems should just get it over with and officially be known as the Communist Party. That way, all the simps that are still confused will have it spelled out for them.

Does The Democratic Party Have a Future?

Of course. This is the same stupid question the Democrats were asking about Republicans less than two years ago.

i think what's going to ultimately destroy the republican party is a function of demographics. At some point, the old white men are going to be replaced by younger people who don't give a rat's patoot if someone is gay.

and the southern strategy is going to meet head on with the fact that whites are going to be a minority.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back