Does Style Matter?

Contessa_Sharra

Searcher for Accuracy
Apr 27, 2008
2008-09-17-sarahstylist.jpg

"Palin chats it up at an Alaska grocery store in June."

Sarah Palin Has Secret Style Team, Wore Pricey Valentino At RNC (SEE BEFORE/AFTER PHOTOS)

$2500 jackets, and she says OBAMA is "ELITIST!!!"

On the other hand, for just one occasion, it cost $2500 to de-tacky, tacky, tacky" the broad!

I'm new to this board, but I love seeing what Oreo considers to matter and be important as compared to what doesn't.

If Oreo wants a 'serious' take on this, yes it does matter. I have not seen a single story commenting on what any of the male presidential candidates have worn (through the primaries), but there were all kinds of them on what Hillary wore.

Style and presentation matter a great deal. In 1960 with the first televised debate, Nixon looked awful, sweating etc, and didn't match up against JFK. Most historians and polisci practitioners point to this debate as a major changing point in modern politics. Presentation matters.

Just as delivery will in the debate, just as 'lipstick' is apparently the difference between a bull dog and a hockey mom. Appearance does matter.

And just as Edward's 400 dollar haircut was a point of contention, so too should $2500 dollar jacket.

I'm new to this board, but I love seeing what Oreo considers to matter and be important as compared to what doesn't.

If Oreo wants a 'serious' take on this, yes it does matter. I have not seen a single story commenting on what any of the male presidential candidates have worn (through the primaries), but there were all kinds of them on what Hillary wore.

Style and presentation matter a great deal. In 1960 with the first televised debate, Nixon looked awful, sweating etc, and didn't match up against JFK. Most historians and polisci practitioners point to this debate as a major changing point in modern politics. Presentation matters.

Just as delivery will in the debate, just as 'lipstick' is apparently the difference between a bull dog and a hockey mom. Appearance does matter.

And just as Edward's 400 dollar haircut was a point of contention, so too should $2500 dollar jacket.

Just goes to show that no matter how hard the various noisy minorities try, men and women remain a little different...

...and HOORAY... for that little difference, HOORAY!

-Joe

Of course, it matters.

It matters even if the press never mentions it.

It matters because human beings judge people on looks -- even if they are trying not to.

It matters regardless of your gender, too.

Taller men, for example, have a far greater chance of winning an election than a shorter ones do.

A tall man who leads aggressively is often thought a nature born leader.

A short man who leads aggressively is often assumed to have a Napoleonic complex.

Statistically speaking, a man's height when entering the work force will have a larger impact on his starting salary than his college GPI, all other things being equal.

So yeah, damned right these things matter.

Obviously women, who are attractive have a leg up on women who are not.

Many of us will say that we pay no attention such matters as physiognomy and personal style, but we are basically bullshitting ourselves.

We are forming opinions about people before they say a word.

It is impossible for us not to do this.

Obviously such issues are not the only things that people take into account in a selecting a candidate, but looks (and style) matter, for sure.

If you doubt this, just ask someone who is very ugly, or very beautiful, very tall or very short, very thin or very fat, if they have to overcome strangers' presuppositions about who they are and what they're like, based on how they look, when they meet new people.

If you doubt this try radically changing your looks or your style of dressing and grooming, and see the way how the world treats you differently than it normally does.

Hell yes, style matters.

Last edited:
First Cindy McCain came under fire for wearing an outfit estimated to cost $313,100 on opening night of the Republican National Convention. Now, Page Six reports, Sarah Palin has taken a liking to designer duds (not to mention expensive eyewear--it was revealed today that Palin's glasses cost $400).

BFD. My glasses cost $400, and I only use them at night to read before bed.. What does that have to do with anything of any importance? We've taken to following people through grocery stores now just to find some dirt?

How sad.

Hey, Shat, do you think she slums at Walmart?

Do you ever wake up in the morning and try to resist being a bitch, or does the complete inability to vary from the norm just come naturally?

BFD. My glasses cost $400, and I only use them at night to read before bed.. What does that have to do with anything of any importance? We've taken to following people through grocery stores now just to find some dirt?

How sad.

Agreed.

Our political system is trash because people like trash.

How sad.

Exactly,try finding a good pair of glasses with scratch resistance for less,then talk about bi focals some folks need which are a lot more. I suppose we could all shop from the bargain rack at walgreens since demos think the best pair of glasses for your eyesight is BAD. Unless it's them doing the shopping I'll wager. How stupid is this argument.
:cuckoo:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back