Does Spanking kids Work?

Wish my kids would have been like yours, wolfsister. Mine were boys...and obnoxious when in their terrible twos.

I think I got lucky with her. She has her moments but then I just give her a time out. So far, I've been lucky but you are right. This wouldn't work on all kids. And I also agree that beating a child is never a good idea. A slap on the butt is not beating and can be very effective. I've never had to do that, luckily. Fingers crossed.

Situational thought experiment;

Your 4 year old gregarious child climbs up onto the kitchen stove and is about to place a hand on a hot burner.

Do you...

A) Grab the child off the stove and give a lecture.

B) Grab the child off the stove and give a spank.

C) Let the child figure it out by trial and error.

??

Warn the child the first time, and tell the child that it is hot, and they should not touch. If the child ignores my warning, I'd let them touch the burner.

They will never touch it again, and will listen to me when I say that something is hot. Sometimes you have to let people figure things out for themselves.

Situational thought experiment;

Your 4 year old gregarious child climbs up onto the kitchen stove and is about to place a hand on a hot burner.

Do you...

A) Grab the child off the stove and give a lecture.

B) Grab the child off the stove and give a spank.

C) Let the child figure it out by trial and error.

??

Warn the child the first time, and tell the child that it is hot, and they should not touch. If the child ignores my warning, I'd let them touch the burner.

They will never touch it again, and will listen to me when I say that something is hot. Sometimes you have to let people figure things out for themselves.

Um. I think I would rather smack that grasping little hand than let it get a 3rd degree burn. At least, not on MY watch. Butts are for flat open palms. Mine felt my paw a few times. Then I didn't need to any more. The Look Of Death, aka Evil Eye worked better than anything. But they were older then too.

Like many things it depends on how you do it at least for me you give the child a warning tell them if they continue to act up and misbehave they will get spanked if they stop they won't and if you have to spank them explain to them why they got the spanking don't just whip them and let it go at that.

This something that has interest me for quite awhile now. Since I was spanked as a kid when I did wrong and for the most part I came out fine other than my Depression that I still haven't kicked out of.

But for the most part a sane human being. But new this new data of people who spank their kids for the most part do not do well in schools and are more aggressive is this old school way of discipline hurting are kids this the question I ask you guys here.

Do Not Hit Your Children with Belts - YouTube

Study Links Spanking Kids To Aggression, Language Problems

Maternal spanking at age 5, even at low levels, was associated with higher levels of child externalizing behavior at age 9, even after an array of risks and earlier child behavior were controlled for. Father’s high-frequency spanking at age 5 was associated with lower child receptive vocabulary scores at age 9.

Womanist Musings: Dear Black Community: Beating Children With Belts Is Not Discipline, It's Abuse

He further goes on to state that he is going to give the child a reason to cry and then beats him some more. In the next scene we see the child outside with a tear streaked face. The father makes him run, crab walk and then do push ups. When he realizes that the child did the push up on his knees he accuses him of cheating and demands 15 push ups. At the end of the video you see the child doing a push up with strain more than evident on his face with the words job well done on the screen.

Does NOT spanking a kid work?

there is a difference between beating and abusing a child.... to spanking.

This something that has interest me for quite awhile now. Since I was spanked as a kid when I did wrong and for the most part I came out fine other than my Depression that I still haven't kicked out of.

But for the most part a sane human being. But new this new data of people who spank their kids for the most part do not do well in schools and are more aggressive is this old school way of discipline hurting are kids this the question I ask you guys here.

Do Not Hit Your Children with Belts - YouTube

Study Links Spanking Kids To Aggression, Language Problems

Maternal spanking at age 5, even at low levels, was associated with higher levels of child externalizing behavior at age 9, even after an array of risks and earlier child behavior were controlled for. Father’s high-frequency spanking at age 5 was associated with lower child receptive vocabulary scores at age 9.

Womanist Musings: Dear Black Community: Beating Children With Belts Is Not Discipline, It's Abuse

He further goes on to state that he is going to give the child a reason to cry and then beats him some more. In the next scene we see the child outside with a tear streaked face. The father makes him run, crab walk and then do push ups. When he realizes that the child did the push up on his knees he accuses him of cheating and demands 15 push ups. At the end of the video you see the child doing a push up with strain more than evident on his face with the words job well done on the screen.

Yes it does. I spanked my girls when they were still in diapers. Didn't hurt them but it scared them. After that all I had to do was raise my hand and they immediately obeyed.

My kids were always well behaved and now as adults they are happy and successful.

I need to learn how to post YouTube videos. I would love to post Eric Cartman's experience with the nannies and with the dog whisperer.

Last edited:
I need to learn how to post YouTube videos. I would love to post Eric Cartman's experience with the nannies and with the dog whisperer.
[MENTION=44536]BobPlumb[/MENTION]

its easy

go to youtube

find what you want

copy the URL

paste into reply box

[ame=http://youtu.be/nnRmjZE1rvQ]South Park: Cartman being a dick on Nanny 911 - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone who has to strike a child to get his attention is seriously lacking in paranting skills. I never spanked my daughter, but her knowing that she had let me down and disappointed me hurt her more than any spanking ever could.

She is now 30 years old, engaged, a sucessfull RN, and happy. She told me that she will never spank her child either.

I worked for me.

Thank you Dad! :)

You're self-employed?

My ex never hesitated to vent her anger on our boys. Sometimes slapping them in the face. When I confronted her, she replied "don't tell me how to raise my children".
I smacked their butts on occasion, but never in the face.

My wife (and myself) never ever physically reprimanded our daughter.

Long story short- they all turned out peachy. :thup:

I worked for me.

Thank you Dad! :)

You're self-employed?

My ex never hesitated to vent her anger on our boys. Sometimes slapping them in the face. When I confronted her, she replied "don't tell me how to raise my children".
I smacked their butts on occasion, but never in the face.

My wife (and myself) never ever physically reprimanded our daughter.

Long storey short- they all turned out peachy. :thup:

So far those that say they don't spank their kids have girls. Hmmmmmmmm.......

Does Spanking kids Work?

Sometimes, yes....sometimes, no. It depends upon the emotional makeup of the child. Mom always used a switch on our bottom legs. The tortuous part was my brother and I had to go out an get the switch, from a tree and often that took many trips, as the first few were usually unacceptable in size.

She was a tender soul and I am sure the switching that stung, hurt her much more than it did us. :thup:

We turned out just fine, with no noticeable negative results, from our rearing. I thank them, both.

Depends on the kid and depends on the parenting style. Spanking gets a message across and hopefully the right message.

Forum List

Back