Does science make belief in God obsolete?

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I think someday peoplekind will attain a sort of immortality that will make this question even more complex. If you live for a very long time will you care about religion? Interesting stuff.

"This is the third in a series of conversations among leading scientists and scholars about the "Big Questions.""

A Templeton Conversation: Does science make belief in God obsolete?

"I am happy but frequently find myself wondering: Am I spending my energies in the right place? Am I doing the most meaningful thing I could be doing?" NB

Nick Bostrom's home page

Science has few answers. It won't be replacing Religion except as another form of Religion for a very LONG time. That is assuming the Christians are not right and we are not already in the end times.

I think someday peoplekind will attain a sort of immortality that will make this question even more complex. If you live for a very long time will you care about religion? Interesting stuff.

"This is the third in a series of conversations among leading scientists and scholars about the "Big Questions.""

"I am happy but frequently find myself wondering: Am I spending my energies in the right place? Am I doing the most meaningful thing I could be doing?" NB

Nick Bostrom's home page

I assume you are one of those who believes that a religion is only to help a human deal with death ?

Nick Bostrom's home page

I belive that Science (especially Medicine) is an extension of Religion (belief in a higher being - in my case God). Modern day miracle's - the healers of today are miracles. As least that is what I beleive.

I think someday peoplekind will attain a sort of immortality that will make this question even more complex

Me too. I have a standing bet with a tenured professor at a University of California campus that "ageless" mice will be developed within the next 10 years. You should check out the Methuselah Foundation if you haven't already.

However, there are some questions science simply will never answer. For example, what came before the universe? How would you develop a testable hypothesis that could allow you to even begin answering that question? I don't see how an average life expectancy of 175 years changes that.

Religion has just been a way to control people. Those that believe it now are just using it as a crutch. Science has pretty much disproved all of religion.

Oh and by the way, the bible is a great novel.

Religion has just been a way to control people. Those that believe it now are just using it as a crutch. Science has pretty much disproved all of religion.

Science has proven that we should love one another ? I didn't catch that one

Even Richard Dawkins, of The God Delusion fame, builds said book around the concept that God cannot be disproven, merely estimated to be insanely improbable.

Myself, I prefer a certain type of Deism...I can't help but look at all the complexity in the Universe, and think that there is some sort of higher power...although I believe it to be rather vain and self-important to believe that that higher power would have any special interest in us and our little speck of dirt.

Einstein said it better than I can:
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

I think that the early American Deists, Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen...Thomas Jefferson (Who swung around a lot of belief systems)...Benjamin Franklin, George Washington...These men represented an age of serious thought and spiritual exploration that hasn't been replicated since. If anything, I think we have regressed as a nation, in terms of using our faculties of reason as a supplement to assist in leveling an inquisitive eye at the institution of religion. That's not to say that I'm anti-church, however; Churches of many religions provide invaluable charitable services to their communities. Could these services be provided by non religious charities? Of course, but these are the institutions that we already have in place, and they have a strong voice in modern political discourse...for good or ill.

The fact remains that as our understanding of Science increases our reliance of religion decreases. In every issue where dogma and science clash, EVENTUALLY, it's the dogma that must admit it's errors. Thank the FSM for the scientific method.

Does science make belief in God obsolete?

The market makes belief in God viable.

Science has nothing to do with it.

Scientist are alway trying to tell people that God Does not exist.I feel many Scientist
don't belieive in God. They try to explain away religion in many of their theories.
Many beleive in their crazy theory of evolution,which is nothing but an unproven theory.

To many missing links for me to accept their haire brained theories.
I still beleive that God is the ultimate Scientist. He created everything we see in the Universe.Men will always be skeptical.

I assume you are one of those who believes that a religion is only to help a human deal with death ?

No, But I think it does give comfort. And when a child dies, a son or a daughter, it is hard not to hope.

Forum List

Back