Does Religious People Have A Right to Participate in Politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adam's Apple, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Hating the "Religious Right"
    By Hugh Hewitt for The Weekly Standard
    March 31, 2005

THE TERRI SCHIAVO TRAGEDY has been seized on by long-time critics of the "religious right" to launch attack after attack on the legitimacy of political action on the basis of religious belief. This attack has ignored the inconvenient participation in the debate--on the side of resuming water and nutrition for Terri Schiavo--of the spectacularly not-the-religious-rightness of Tom Harkin, Nat Hentoff, Jesse Jackson, and a coalition of disability advocacy groups.

The attack has also been hysterical. After Congress acted--ineffectively, it turned out--Maureen Dowd proclaimed that "theocracy" had arrived in the land. Paul Krugman warned that assassination of liberals by extremists was not far off. And the Internet frenzy on the left was even more extreme.

Into the fray came former Missouri Republican Senator John Danforth, an ordained priest, and much admired man of integrity. In yesterday's New York Times, Senator Danforth blasted the control that he asserts is now held over the Republican party by religious conservatives. Danforth specifically criticized the congressional action on behalf of Schiavo, a proposed Missouri bill that would halt stem cell research, and concerns over gay marriage.

All of these charges--from the most incoherent to the most measured--arrive without definition as to what "the religious right" is, and without argument as to why the agenda of this ill-defined group is less legitimate than the pro-gay marriage, pro-cloning, pro-partial-birth abortion, pro-euthanasia agenda of other political actors.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/419dpncw.asp

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

Shhhhh the ACLU is trying to stay low key before they are in full control.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Religious people not only have the right, they have the duty. Our founding fathers must be turning in their graves that such a question could even be asked. They believed that people should not be allowed to participate in government unless they were professing Christians. Oh how the times have changed!

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Duty ??? Who is encouraging them to take up this duty?? So far all I've seen is the extreme right wing Christians acting like kooks.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I guess this raises the question then: should religious people be banned from voting? Dangerous ground to tread on methinks.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think the ACLU feels as long as they are divided and don't vote as a blatant bloc there's no problem. The ACLU will just snipe em one by one.

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    You are probably correct. If it ever gets to the point where we decided who can vote based on their religion (or lack thereof) this country will be beyond help.

8. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

I've got to go with that. When the canary in the coal mine dies, you KNOW you're in the wrong place!

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

MM---"canaries" are dropping like flies all over America.

10. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

So true. And, if you're the Monty Python fan I am, you'll know what I mean by this: The enemies of freedom are like Terry Gillam telling John Cleese, "That bird's not dead - he's pinin' for the fjords!"