Does Possible Political Misuse of Intel Tools Deserve Greater Scrutiny?

iceberg

Diamond Member
May 15, 2017
  • Investigations into admitted violations seem lackluster to date.
  • Nobody has been publicly held responsible for breaches acknowledged last October.
  • Is the intel community withholding information on “unmaskings”?
Does Possible Political Misuse of Intel Tools Deserve Greater Scrutiny? | Sharyl Attkisson

highlights:
The very idea that U.S. intel would monitor phone calls and emails of civilians who aren’t suspected of any wrongdoing, and without a court warrant, should shake the sensibilities of all of us. These actions were secretly deemed necessary for national security after the Sept. 11, 2001 Islamic extremist terrorist attacks. But any such collection should be done sparingly, under strict supervision, and with the highest regard for the privacy protections afforded to all of us under the U.S. Constitution.
-----
(me) as well it should. if your side is doing it now to punish the other side you may think GREAT YOU DESERVE IT but flip situations - you'd be livid when done to you. ALL GOV needs to be checked in and held accountable. PERIOD.
-----
Everyone knows about Nixonian abuses. Another illustrative example occurred under the Obama administration. The Inspector General found the IRS did what was once unthinkable: used its authority over the tax system to target political opponents in the conservative Tea Party.

There are many other reasons for concern.

Thanks to reporting by Circa, we know that during 2015 alone, the NSA released the identities or “unmasked” the names of 2,232 Americans. That’s a stunning number.

We know that foreign surveillance conducted by the U.S. sweeps up American lawmakers and their staffers so routinely now, that Congress is told as often as once a month that its employees are involved in intercepted conversations and have been unmasked, and that their identities shared with intelligence or law enforcement agencies. Again: (to me) stunning.

-----
(me again) everyone wants to think watergate was about firing people or investigations and sure. but what were they investigating? using political clout against your opponents. what obama did w/the IRS smokes anything nixon THOUGHT of doing. yet, nothing.

we must impeach for rumors made up by a man who's now seeing his own defenses fall. letting M13 gang bangers in knowingly, FISA validates spying - and from here, 2232 americans were "unmasked"

the gov IS out of control and people need to be held accountable. all of them regardless of party.

later in the article:

Obama administration searches of NSA database for Americans & their communications
  • 2013: 9,500 searches involving 198 Americans
  • 2016: 30,355 searches involving 5,288 Americans

The simple answer is yes.
one would think so, sure. i don't find that idea partisan at all and if that idea scares you, then i sure want to know which side you're on cause it ain't mine or any side related to the constitution.

2232 in just one year. What about the other 6-7 years? Probably much higher, as they may have scaled back due to being closer scrutinized, after certain other events. Oops. Just read 2016 was even higher.
  • Investigations into admitted violations seem lackluster to date.
  • Nobody has been publicly held responsible for breaches acknowledged last October.
  • Is the intel community withholding information on “unmaskings”?
Does Possible Political Misuse of Intel Tools Deserve Greater Scrutiny? | Sharyl Attkisson

highlights:
The very idea that U.S. intel would monitor phone calls and emails of civilians who aren’t suspected of any wrongdoing, and without a court warrant, should shake the sensibilities of all of us. These actions were secretly deemed necessary for national security after the Sept. 11, 2001 Islamic extremist terrorist attacks. But any such collection should be done sparingly, under strict supervision, and with the highest regard for the privacy protections afforded to all of us under the U.S. Constitution.
-----
(me) as well it should. if your side is doing it now to punish the other side you may think GREAT YOU DESERVE IT but flip situations - you'd be livid when done to you. ALL GOV needs to be checked in and held accountable. PERIOD.
-----
Everyone knows about Nixonian abuses. Another illustrative example occurred under the Obama administration. The Inspector General found the IRS did what was once unthinkable: used its authority over the tax system to target political opponents in the conservative Tea Party.

There are many other reasons for concern.

Thanks to reporting by Circa, we know that during 2015 alone, the NSA released the identities or “unmasked” the names of 2,232 Americans. That’s a stunning number.

We know that foreign surveillance conducted by the U.S. sweeps up American lawmakers and their staffers so routinely now, that Congress is told as often as once a month that its employees are involved in intercepted conversations and have been unmasked, and that their identities shared with intelligence or law enforcement agencies. Again: (to me) stunning.

-----
(me again) everyone wants to think watergate was about firing people or investigations and sure. but what were they investigating? using political clout against your opponents. what obama did w/the IRS smokes anything nixon THOUGHT of doing. yet, nothing.

we must impeach for rumors made up by a man who's now seeing his own defenses fall. letting M13 gang bangers in knowingly, FISA validates spying - and from here, 2232 americans were "unmasked"

the gov IS out of control and people need to be held accountable. all of them regardless of party.

Forum List

Back