Does Political Speech Have Consequences That Warrant More Than Moral Outrage?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Does Political Speech Have Consequences That Warrant More Than Moral Outrage?

What would you do to Americans who have used inflammatory speech in public when discussing opponents...Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Sharpton, Farrakhan, Sharron Angle, Thomas Jefferson, et al?

Free speech in the political sphere can have deadly consequences for innocents not involved, but is that any reason to attempt enacting laws to regulate political speech?

Now I am not comparing political speech to hate speech, speech meant to incite riots or violence. I think those lines are blurry though not well established in law, but I believe most reasonable people agree the lines exist.

Since the days of the signing of the US Constitution, starting with Thomas Jefferson, we have had public figures who are almost always on the wrong side of history using inflammatory and hateful speech to describe political opponents.

It is an observation that most, not all but most, Americans who were/are on the correct and decent side of history have not engaged in this type of behavior.

---

:cool:
dD

note: Jefferson and his states rights pals lost almost every single battle over what the US Constitution says and doesn't say, what the meanings contained are, and what the role of the US Constitution is and isn't.

Last edited:
What would you do to Americans who have used inflammatory speech in public when discussing opponents...Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Sharpton, Farrakhan, Sharron Angle, Thomas Jefferson, et al?

the same thing I always do with dumbasses, ignore them. Or perhaps exercise my free speech and ridicule them.

the same thing I always do with dumbasses, ignore them. Or perhaps exercise my free speech and ridicule them.
:clap2:

Forum List

Back