Does One Laugh or Cry????

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair after she fails to make school squad.

A Nebraska girl born with no arms and legs has blamed unfair scoring after she failed to make her school's cheerleading squad three years in a row.

Julia Sullivan, 16, has complained to the school board after she said she was given 'no accommodation for her disability' during try-outs.

The wheelchair user did not make the team after she received a low score in the jumps/kicks category of the trials.

She had worked out ways that she could cheer from her wheelchair, including spinning around.

They complained that the school had broken the Americans with Disabilities Act and other discrimination laws.

Read more: Girl with no arms and legs says Nebraska school cheerleading try-out is unfair | Mail Online

Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair after she fails to make school squad.

A Nebraska girl born with no arms and legs has blamed unfair scoring after she failed to make her school's cheerleading squad three years in a row.

Julia Sullivan, 16, has complained to the school board after she said she was given 'no accommodation for her disability' during try-outs.

The wheelchair user did not make the team after she received a low score in the jumps/kicks category of the trials.

She had worked out ways that she could cheer from her wheelchair, including spinning around.

They complained that the school had broken the Americans with Disabilities Act and other discrimination laws.

Read more: Girl with no arms and legs says Nebraska school cheerleading try-out is unfair | Mail Online

Not that I would expect a callous conservative to understand, let alone try to have some empathy, but I believe allowing someone with the guts this person demonstrates to try out should be applauded and a smart principle, school board, team adviser would provide this brave young women a uniform, develop a routine or two providing her to be the center of attenton.

Who or what would be hurt? Is kindness something you oppose? You may now offer a slippery slope rebutal.

PS. I apolgize. I inferred, hopefully incorrectly, that you felt the school board and their lawyers were correct. Reading over the thread I see the title suggets you do have empathy and might even agree with my assessment that the school board acted wrongly.

Last edited:
Well I suppose anyone who weighs in on the side of the school board here is going to be viewed as unsympathetic to this young woman. Having said that..on the one hand folks with disabilities want to be treated like able bodied folks, have the same opportunities, but in doing so if there must be 'accommodations' made in order to allow that, then it's really not treating them the same as able bodied folks, is it? The other young ladies had to demonstrate skills in jumps/kicking, a fundamental part of cheering, so it's not really fair to them to waive/alter that requirement. I think also providing her a uniform and developing routines especially designed for this young lady is a bit condescending to her, and also makes it more about her and less about the cheerleading squad as a whole. Cheering is a team sport, not an individual one. While I applaud this young woman and her accomplishments, throughout life, even able bodied folks find it necessary to recognize their limitations and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Well I suppose anyone who weighs in on the side of the school board here is going to be viewed as unsympathetic to this young woman. Having said that..on the one hand folks with disabilities want to be treated like able bodied folks, have the same opportunities, but in doing so if there must be 'accommodations' made in order to allow that, then it's really not treating the same as able bodied folks, is it? The other young ladies had to demonstrate skills in jumps/kicking, a fundamental part of cheering, so it's not really fair to them to waive/alter that requirement. I think also providing her a uniform and developing routines especially designed for this youg lady is a bit condescending to her, and also makes it more about her and less about the cheerleading squad as a whole. Cheering is a team sport, not an indiviudal one. While I applaud this young woman and her accomplishments, throughout life, even able bodied folks find it necessary to recognize their limitations and adjust accordingly.

Well said.

I don't think she has a leg to stand on.

Forum List

Back