Does One Ever Really 'Leave' Where Raised?

Yet all you 'leavers' posted here. Say you are 'gone', but not giving any comments as in why and why final.

Had no choice. Was 13 and was transplanted.

So where is home? Where you were transplanted or before? Do you remember before?

Originally from Baltimore and, yes, I remember it. Some very nice memories as it happens -- just saying, it looks entirely different through my eyes now. Transplated to northern NJ -- metro NY. At the age of 13, I was practically kickin' and screamin' about it, and it took quite a while to "settle in". Now, you'd probably have to drag my dead body outta here 'cause I'm not going anywhere where there isn't life after dark, and, as you know, this city never sleeps.

Had no choice. Was 13 and was transplanted.

So where is home? Where you were transplanted or before? Do you remember before?

Originally from Baltimore and, yes, I remember it. Some very nice memories as it happens -- just saying, it looks entirely different through my eyes now. Transplated to northern NJ -- metro NY. At the age of 13, I was practically kickin' and screamin' about it, and it took quite a while to "settle in". Now, you'd probably have to drag my dead body outta here 'cause I'm not going anywhere where there isn't life after dark, and, as you know, this city never sleeps.
Oh, I understand as well as I can. You are totally assimilated in 'big city', yet can relate to the less than big city-you didn't move far.

Same as myself, I can see myself living in some semi-rural place, happily. That won't take the 'city' out of me, or the desire to go back and visit. Hell I live there, if I could afford it.

Oh, I understand as well as I can. You are totally assimilated in 'big city', yet can relate to the less than big city-you didn't move far.

Same as myself, I can see myself living in some semi-rural place, happily. That won't take the 'city' out of me, or the desire to go back and visit. Hell I live there, if I could afford it.

Well, don't know how well I'm relating to the "less than big city", being in the George Washington Bridge connecting town. It's more like an extension of.... The 6th borough :lol:

Women need to live right near their Mom.

I come from a family of 8 - 6 kids.
I live about 90 miles south of New Holland, PA where I was raised.
4 of my brothers & sisters live near New Holland.
1 sister lives in Cleveland, Tenn.

My Mom died in 1981.
My 1 brother lives near his Mother-In-Law about 1 miles.
My other brother currently lives with his Mother-In-Law
(well he plans to marry the gal)
before that his previous Mother-In-Law lived in New Holland, PA.

I believe that about 90% of all women
need to live near their mother.

I believe 75% of everyone lives near where they were raised.
It's 75% in my family.

Baltimore Bob

I've lived in Japan, Korea, Okinawa, Missouri, Maryland and now Pennsylvania. The east coast is nice, lots of trees, beautiful autumn weather.
But the only downer is winter. I can handle 9 degrees in the winter and the snow just fine but winter is just too long here.
Winter is four months in California and six months here. My wife and I are definitely going back to the southwest when I retire in seven years.

I grew up outside of Kansas City, Missouri, on a farm. I left when I was 22 and haven't lived there in over 20 years. I'd be more likely to move back to Salt Lake City, where I lived for 10 years, than to move back to the midwest. My parents now live in Florida, and my grandparents are dead.

All of us seem to have relocated to Florida in the past 10 years. My brother now lives 3 miles from me. I guess we've transplanted home to here.

I grew up outside of Kansas City, Missouri, on a farm. I left when I was 22 and haven't lived there in over 20 years. I'd be more likely to move back to Salt Lake City, where I lived for 10 years, than to move back to the midwest. My parents now live in Florida, and my grandparents are dead.

All of us seem to have relocated to Florida in the past 10 years. My brother now lives 3 miles from me. I guess we've transplanted home to here.

Florida would be one of the two other places I could stand to live. I lived in Tampa for four years and wasn't bored once. There's just too much to do and see in Florida, and the temp is always pretty balmy. I plan on spending time there in the winter. Wisconsin really really sucks when it gets cold.

I will tell you what is cool about staying in the same town you live in. There is always somebody who knows you, or somebody in your family. And when push comes to shove, those people will help you out without blinking an eye, just because that's what you do.

I went back to my old neighborhood in Brooklyn to meet up with my long lost mother. Nothing had changed.

I spoke to some former neighbors and out came Louie Pastillio with a bare chest drinking a quart of milk on his front porch. He's done that all his life, I remember him doing it when he was a boy.

No, I don't think Brooklyn is ever going to be separated from me, although I lived longer in Oregon than anywhere else and I'm very 'Oregon identified too'.

Florida would be one of the two other places I could stand to live. I lived in Tampa for four years and wasn't bored once. There's just too much to do and see in Florida, and the temp is always pretty balmy. I plan on spending time there in the winter. Wisconsin really really sucks when it gets cold.

I can't stand Florida.

I was raised in Suffolk, Virginia. I joined the Navy when i was 18 and began to see more of the world. I was stationed in Norfolk for quite a bit of my Navy career but later in the game I was in other places. I now live in Illinois - 100 miles due west of Annie. I haven't lived in my hometown in over 40 years. I miss it at times but I can't see ever going back there to live. Passed through it about 20 years ago and it had changed so much I hardly recognized it anymore!

Forum List

Back