Does Obama Face a 2012 Challenge In His Own Party?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Leading liberals are already thinking the unthinkable: Challenging President Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2012.

According to a report on the left-leaning Huffington Post website, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann and Eugene Robinson, an African-American national columnist for The Washington Post, discussed just such a possibility Thursday night. Robinson said Obama needs to be careful how he handles the health care reform issue and the continuing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Olbermann said the president has “compromised on everything so far and as self-defeating as it may be, the progressive caucus and progressives would abandon him if necessary, if this was to be the policy of this administration into 2012. If it’s necessary to find somebody to run against him, I think they’d do it, no matter how destructive that may seem.”

But just over a month ago, before the president signaled a willingness to give up on the so-called public option element of his health care reform plan, voters were evenly divided over whether Hillary Rodham Clinton would challenge Obama for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2012. Clinton, after all, was a very close second for the party’s nomination last year.

Does Obama Face a 2012 Challenge In His Own Party? - Rasmussen Reports™

Watching obama crumble before our eyes is definitely becoming fun to watch. I'm less concerned about him now than I was before. Soon he will be relegated to the "complete joke of a President" category, and his remaining time in his one and only term will be nothing more than a token presence in the White House.

I saw it coming... :eusa_whistle:

Watching obama crumble before our eyes is definitely becoming fun to watch. I'm less concerned about him now than I was before. Soon he will be relegated to the "complete joke of a President" category, and his remaining time in his one and only term will be nothing more than a token presence in the White House.

Just keep telling yourself that..
Obama will be easy to beat in 2012. The economy will be in shambles, people will hate their heathcare, the country will be in a civil war.
republicans don't have to do anything to improve their chances to be elected. America will be begging them to come back.....just keep telling yourself that

Obama will be easy to beat in 2012. The economy will be in shambles, people will hate their heathcare, the country will be in a civil war.
republicans don't have to do anything to improve their chances to be elected. America will be begging them to come back.....just keep telling yourself that

I don't have to tell myself that... THAT'S WHATS HAPPENING... or don't you get the news on whatever it is planet you live one?

Leading liberals are already thinking the unthinkable: Challenging President Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2012.

According to a report on the left-leaning Huffington Post website, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann and Eugene Robinson, an African-American national columnist for The Washington Post, discussed just such a possibility Thursday night. Robinson said Obama needs to be careful how he handles the health care reform issue and the continuing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Olbermann said the president has “compromised on everything so far and as self-defeating as it may be, the progressive caucus and progressives would abandon him if necessary, if this was to be the policy of this administration into 2012. If it’s necessary to find somebody to run against him, I think they’d do it, no matter how destructive that may seem.”

But just over a month ago, before the president signaled a willingness to give up on the so-called public option element of his health care reform plan, voters were evenly divided over whether Hillary Rodham Clinton would challenge Obama for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2012. Clinton, after all, was a very close second for the party’s nomination last year.

Obviously there will be SOME Democrat who will challenge him. There almost always is a party challenger to an incumbent president. George W. Bush was the exception, not the rule. But I think it's more apt to be someone like Evan Bayh than Hillary Clinton.

Who would Republicans run who would be winnable anyway? Romney is their only hope, and he's far too sane for the majority radicals to accept.

Olbermann is right on this one. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the 2010 election.

Y'all just loved that general election between Rudy and Hillary, didn't you?
2012 is practically an eternity away in political terms. The only prediction I'd make at this point is people making predictions will most likely end up eating their hats. ;)

Who would Republicans run who would be winnable anyway? Romney is their only hope, and he's far too sane for the majority radicals to accept.

Sanity isn't the issue. Mormonism is.

2012 is practically an eternity away in political terms. The only prediction I'd make at this point is people making predictions will most likely end up eating their hats. ;)

Well said.

True. Clinton's health care program went down in flames, and he returned to actually have an over 60% approval rating by the time he left office, in spite of the sex scandal. Obama really does want to lead more like Clinton, with at least a modicum of bipartisanship. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will be possible until the Republican Party gets its act together. It's counterproductive for him to continue to try to reach out to Republicans when they are currently being run by radicals, their leadership kowtowing to the loudest voices.

St.+God%27s+Memorial+Hospital.jpg

You having a hard time focusing? Get help.

True. Clinton's health care program went down in flames, and he returned to actually have an over 60% approval rating by the time he left office, in spite of the sex scandal. Obama really does want to lead more like Clinton, with at least a modicum of bipartisanship. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will be possible until the Republican Party gets its act together. It's counterproductive for him to continue to try to reach out to Republicans when they are currently being run by radicals, their leadership kowtowing to the loudest voices.

Modicum?

You would do well to learn your own history.

Clinton veered back to the middle big time - his approval by voters happened in spite of anger within the liberal wing of his own party who thought him conceding to the demands of the Republican Congress.

Go back and study up on the transformative welfare reform battle. Clinton sounded like a small government republican -and his approval numbers went up because of it. In effect, he told the liberals to stuff it, as well as outmatched Newt in the PR battle during the budget face off.

Clinton was a far superior elected politician than anything Obama has shown to date. Perhaps Obama will figure this out and veer to the middle just as Clinton did, and not be taken down by the liberals - who most of America disagrees with.

Modicum?

Clinton veered back to the middle big time - his approval by voters happened in spite of anger within the liberal wing of his own party who thought him conceding to the demands of the Republican Congress.

Go back and study up on the transformative welfare reform battle. Clinton sounded like a small government republican -and his approval numbers went up because of it. In effect, he told the liberals to stuff it, as well as outmatched Newt in the PR battle during the budget face off.

Clinton was a far superior elected politician than anything Obama has shown to date. Perhaps Obama will figure this out and veer to the middle just as Clinton did, and not be taken down by the liberals - who most of America disagrees with.

Clinton also had a rocky start, as you'll recall. Clinton, elected by a mere plurality, took his early lumps and rebounded - as you point out, by tacking to the center. That is not to say Obama will take Clinton's path, but I'm sure he's well aware of it. Only time will tell.

Too early to call...try making that call after the holiday season of 2010, which is when that stuff usually gets started.

Modicum?

Clinton also had a rocky start, as you'll recall. Clinton, elected by a mere plurality, took his early lumps and rebounded - as you point out, by tacking to the center. That is not to say Obama will take Clinton's path, but I'm sure he's well aware of it. Only time will tell.

Correct- Clinton had a rocky start to be sure, but he was also more intelligent and capable than Obama - far quicker on his feet and able to alter course - much to the chagrin of Republicans who wanted him defeated.

Yes - I said Clinton was more intelligent and capable than Obama. Obama, minus teleprompter, has yet to prove himself intelligent, and certainly during his first 8 months, has proven a terribly incapable leader.

We shall see if he can remedy these shortcomings...

As a Democrat, Hillary Clinton does have the potential to challenge Obama in 2012

Thankfully, no republican has that potential

Modicum?

Correct- Clinton had a rocky start to be sure, but he was also more intelligent and capable than Obama - far quicker on his feet and able to alter course - much to the chagrin of Republicans who wanted him defeated.

Yes - I said Clinton was more intelligent and capable than Obama. Obama, minus teleprompter, has yet to prove himself intelligent, and certainly during his first 8 months, has proven a terribly incapable leader.

We shall see if he can remedy these shortcomings...

I'm not sure about the intelligence factor, but without knowing Obama personally the indicators are that they are probably about even. The question is whether Obama is more of a damn the torpedoes risk taker than Clinton, or whether his early losses will make him more willing to work on incremental change as Clinton did. IMO it's a question of temperament, not intellect. Not much in his record to draw from, so how he will react to a few major defeats is the mystery. Stay tuned, it's going to be an interesting 3 1/2 years. ;)

Forum List

Back