Does NJ Gov. Christie Think You're "Elite"?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Let me get this straight: Chris Christie, the governor born on third base, the guy who grew up in Livingston and lives in Mendham, the guy who sleeps beside an investment banker who makes about a half mil a year, the guy with the multimillionaire stock-broker brother who some say bought Christie the U.S. attorney’s job, the guy who could fit my entire house in his kitchen, the guy with filthy-rich friends (public and secret) who write him checks, the guy who could melt down his door knocker and feed a mission for a month — that guy called me an elitist?

Hold on a second, the mechanic is on the phone. He wants to know if I’ll spring for new brakes on my elitist ride — a dented 2005 Toyota Corolla with 99,000 miles on it. I’m thinking I’ll tell him no, because any day now the bottom is going to rust out and I’ll be able to stop the car like Fred Flintstone does. That is, if the accelerator doesn’t get stuck on the floor mat.

Recently, Christie decried “the elite on the editorial boards of newspapers.” Well, the last guy who drove the governor anywhere was rewarded with a cushy six-figure job on the Parole Board, even though he already was collecting a 90K pension. The last person who drove me anywhere was my wife — when I hurt my back and had to go to the clinic last week. She got a kiss.

The Gov who lives in a mansion says I'm an elitist. Isn't that rich? | NJ.com

Stunning piece of writing....I urge you to read the entire article.

What say you? Are you "elite"?

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Having money does not make one an "elitist". There are plenty of down to earth millionaires and lots of snobby bitches who can't pay their fucking bills. It's an attitude. Not a dollar figure.

Thanks for the article, but I do agree with Christie that many in the MSM and academia are full of themselves as well.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Having money does not make one an "elitist". There are plenty of down to earth millionaires and lots of snobby bitches who can't pay their fucking bills. It's an attitude. Not a dollar figure.

Thanks for the article, but I do agree with Christie that many in the MSM and academia are full of themselves as well.

^^^ That. Elitism is about attitude, not wealth.

Reaganomics?

Let me get this straight: Chris Christie, the governor born on third base, the guy who grew up in Livingston and lives in Mendham, the guy who sleeps beside an investment banker who makes about a half mil a year, the guy with the multimillionaire stock-broker brother who some say bought Christie the U.S. attorney’s job, the guy who could fit my entire house in his kitchen, the guy with filthy-rich friends (public and secret) who write him checks, the guy who could melt down his door knocker and feed a mission for a month — that guy called me an elitist?

Hold on a second, the mechanic is on the phone. He wants to know if I’ll spring for new brakes on my elitist ride — a dented 2005 Toyota Corolla with 99,000 miles on it. I’m thinking I’ll tell him no, because any day now the bottom is going to rust out and I’ll be able to stop the car like Fred Flintstone does. That is, if the accelerator doesn’t get stuck on the floor mat.

Recently, Christie decried “the elite on the editorial boards of newspapers.” Well, the last guy who drove the governor anywhere was rewarded with a cushy six-figure job on the Parole Board, even though he already was collecting a 90K pension. The last person who drove me anywhere was my wife — when I hurt my back and had to go to the clinic last week. She got a kiss.

the writer sounds like a prick to me

I think there are some elitists on this board, don't you? At least that is what I gleen from their ramblings at times.

An elitist believes that superior people (they decide what defines superior, of course) ought to be in charge.

THE elite are those people who are superior.

Calling somebody a member of an elite is not necessarily an insult.

And I have never understood why being an elitist is an insult, either.

Who DOESNT want truly superior people (in their fields) at the helm?

When people who are NOT superior become THE elite of society, that's when ELITISM becomes a problem.

For example, when one becomes a member of the ruling elite by dint of birth?

That is when elitism is a problem.

Last edited:
I think there are some elitists on this board, don't you? At least that is what I gleen from their ramblings at times.

O, yes. We had one member, topspin, who makes Millions without breaking a sweat -- or laying off the drugs. Another, CWN, thinks his religion will make him wealthier than Midas and claims to be on intimate terms with many Billionaries.

Ya, nods nods nods...USMBers are all "elite".

First, elitism is an attitude, not a financial state. If you do not believe that just take a look at all the blue bloods of europe who continue to look down at anyone who is beneath them despite the fact that most of them are completely broke.

Second, not everyone on every editorial board is an elitist, but I suspect very strongly that Kevin Manahan is, or he would not have spent so much time sneering at Christie just because he is wealthy.

The Star Ledger is def. a left leaning paper.

This morning, as the Star Ledger downloaded on my laptop screen I saw the bold headline “N.J. officials, N.Y. rabbis caught in federal money laundering, corruption sweep”.

I figured, “oh Lord, here we go again” another example of political corruption in one of the most politically corrupt states in the nation”.

As I read on, the story began:

“NEWARK — A New Jersey assemblyman and the mayors of Hoboken and Secaucus were among public officials arrested this morning by FBI agents in an international money laundering and corruption probe that includes rabbis in the Syrian Jewish communities of Deal and Brooklyn.

Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt (R-Ocean), Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell and Jersey City Council President Mariano Vega are among those already brought to the FBI building in Newark. Jersey City Deputy Mayor Leona Beldini has also been arrested.”

I was taken back by the fact that of the five elected officials at the focus of the account only one had his party affiliation identified, Assemblyman Dan Van Pelt. The Mayors of Hoboken and Secaucus, and the Deputy Mayor and Council President of Jersey City are all Democrats[/QUOTE]

New Jersey Star Ledger Makes It Official « Politics 24/7

Damn rights I am!

Forum List

Back