Does Nature have a preference for life to exist?

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
You hear all the time that people believe in a higher power but that he is an impersonal God who doesn't care what happens to us.

But is that really what the data would suggest?

So my question is... Does Nature have a preference for life to exist?

I say, yes. Yes, Nature has a preference for us to exist.

Are you saying Nature is an intelligence then? Preference implies intelligence of some sort.
Yes, preference does imply intent and intent implies intelligence.

I am saying that there is intelligence behind the Laws of Nature because there is a preference and an intent to create intelligence.

Are you asking about being born with a genetic code that determines how long we live?

Last edited:
D4D3870D-2540-418A-9180-A00348075454.gif

Are you asking about being born with a genetic code that determines how long we live?
Not at all. I am talking about the laws of nature which predestined beings that know and create to eventually arise given enough time and the right conditions.

And all of the other biological laws that are required for intelligence to evolve.

Are you saying Nature is an intelligence then? Preference implies intelligence of some sort.

I am saying that there is intelligence behind the Laws of Nature because there is a preference and an intent to create intelligence.

What makes you say nature has a preference for life to exist? So far the existence of life appears to be a rarity; only 1 planet we know of contains it. Admittedly, humanity has an extremely limited amount of data to draw conclusions from, but what we do have indicates that the universe is largely inimical to life.

Not at all. I am talking about the laws of nature which predestined beings that know and create to eventually arise given enough time and the right conditions.

And all of the other biological laws that are required for intelligence to evolve.

Are those laws required for intelligence to evolve, or are they only required for intelligence as we know it?

What biological laws are you talking about?

The will to survive for one. Nature has programmed into us the will to survive. Why?

What makes you say nature has a preference for life to exist? So far the existence of life appears to be a rarity; only 1 planet we know of contains it. Admittedly, humanity has an extremely limited amount of data to draw conclusions from, but what we do have indicates that the universe is largely inimical to life.
SETI searches for intelligence because they have an expectation that intelligence exists somewhere else in the universe. Why is that? Because they believe we live in a universe where the laws of nature are such that given enough time and the right conditions that intelligence will eventually arise.

Are those laws required for intelligence to evolve, or are they only required for intelligence as we know it?
There are certain minimum requirements for intelligence to evolve. Survival is one of the foremost. Life is programmed to survive.

Out of the billions of planets in our universe, the probability of another planet to have intelligent life is astronomical. There are probably millions, but since we are still fledgling in years, those beings, look at some of US and think "nope, not going to go there, no hope for that world.

You hear all the time that people believe in a higher power but that he is an impersonal God who doesn't care what happens to us.

But is that really what the data would suggest?

So my question is... Does Nature have a preference for life to exist?

I say, yes. Yes, Nature has a preference for us to exist.

Yes, nature (God) does. Otherwise, in the beginning and in the face of massive, monolithic super-predators, we would have been chicken (human) nugget chomped out of existence during the time it took our instinct think to kick in to save our asses gear.

The will to survive for one. Nature has programmed into us the will to survive. Why?
Please forgive me for thinking you’re more than a little crazy.
I could be wrong.

Please forgive me for thinking you’re more than a little crazy.
I could be wrong.
You are forgiven.

Any particular reason for thinking that?

SETI searches for intelligence because they have an expectation that intelligence exists somewhere else in the universe. Why is that? Because they believe we live in a universe where the laws of nature are such that given enough time and the right conditions that intelligence will eventually arise.

And life may well exist elsewhere in the universe. That does not mean nature has a preference for it. The universe is, as far as humanity can tell, vast almost beyond comprehension. The idea that life will arise elsewhere in such a huge amount of space, and over extremely long amounts of time, does not indicate any sort of preference for life. Considering what we know of the universe indicates that the majority of it may be deadly to life, that also doesn't indicate a preference for life.

There are certain minimum requirements for intelligence to evolve. Survival is one of the foremost. Life is programmed to survive.

Again, you are speaking of requirements for intelligence as we know it to evolve. What humanity does not know far, far outweighs what it does know.

Forum List

Back