Does liberty matter anymore?

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Well, does it?

I'm noticing a trend mocking the concept. Are we 'post-freedom'?

Well, does it?

Have you been incarcerated yet for no reason?
Then freedom probably matters.

I spent a weekend in jail for driving without insurance.
Was that a valid imprisonment?

I certainly don't think so. There was no victim. Other than the insurance companies.
But the Penal Code applied to you in this circumstance?

Give me Liberty or give me DEATH!!!

I'm 110% in agreement.

Greg

Well, does it?

I spent a weekend in jail for driving without insurance.
Was that a valid imprisonment?

I certainly don't think so. There was no victim. Other than the insurance companies.

I was done for a similar offense; no registration or insurance. I simply forgot to pay when they were due and the reminder notice was sent to a previous address. No jail time but a fine equivalent to the payment I missed. Magistrate was very kind that day.

Greg

"Does liberty matter anymore?"

Of course it does.

Last year gay Americans finally realized their comprehensive liberties after years of fighting for their rights; transgender Americans are currently fighting for those same comprehensive protected liberties.

And for millions of other Americans subject to discriminatory measures – or potential discriminatory measures, such as Muslim Americans – liberty indeed very much matters.

Of course it does.

Last year gay Americans finally realized their comprehensive liberties after years of fighting for their rights; transgender Americans are currently fighting for those same comprehensive protected liberties.

And for millions of other Americans subject to discriminatory measures – or potential discriminatory measures, such as Muslim Americans – liberty indeed very much matters.

What are you smoking? Liberties that are 'protected' do not have to be fought for, and neither would they be under constant attack as they are by the US crookocratic gubmint.

Well, does it?

Reaganomics! Oops...Oct 17,1987!

What's this all about?
A date signaling the complete failure of Reaganomics.
Senior Bush continues Reagan's Supply Side Economics and it resulted in off-shored funds being sucked into a vast black hole.
Look it up; otherwise known as Black Friday.
With the exception of the DOT COM Bubble, which wasn't actually a Bubble, the US economy never recovered from Reaganomics.

Well, does it?

What's this all about?
Senior Bush continues Reagan's Supply Side Economics and it resulted in off-shored funds being sucked into a vast black hole.
With the exception of the DOT COM Bubble, which wasn't actually a Bubble, the US economy never recovered from Reaganomics.

Why do you feel that date signaled anything?

Bush wasn't President in 1987.

Black Friday was October 25th, 1929. Durr.

Well, does it?

What's this all about?

You are correct, it was Reagan.
I worked on Wall Street and witnessed the economic devastation that occurred.
I place it on Oct 17, 1987 because that's when it actually happened.
The "Kings of Finance" worked feverishly to try to fix things over the weekend to avail.

The DOT COM should have succeeded but too many people were too paranoid to use their Credit Cards over the Internet.
The Housing Bubble accompanied by more Supply Side drove us into the 2008 Crash.

Black Monday (1987) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, does it?

What's this all about?

The "Kings of Finance" worked feverishly to try to fix things over the weekend to avail.

The DOT COM should have succeeded but too many people were too paranoid to use their Credit Cards over the Internet.
The Housing Bubble accompanied by more Supply Side drove us into the 2008 Crash.

What devastation occurred because the stock market crashed in 1987?

The crash happened on Saturday October 17, 1987?
That's weird, most people who worked in the business remember the actual date.

Which "Kings of Finance" worked to try to fix what things over the weekend?
Any specifics?

What's this all about?

Any specifics?

NYC was devastated.
Almost 80% of the stores in downtown Manhattan went under and most new businesses couldn't stay open for more than 6 months.

I worked for Banker's Trust and we already knew Friday evening what had happened but some major Market Makers were going to try to boost some confidence in the Market for Monday morning.
I was told on Monday morning that by Saturday no major Firms were going to bail out any other firms.

I was in IT so I didn't know any big shots personally, but everything in the work place changed after that Saturday.
Especially being made to be at work 16 hours a day even if there was no work to be done.

By the way, Market crashes and Bubbles are insider information which is why the multi-millionaires and billionaires are usually unscathed by crashes and do VERY well in Bubbles.

What's this all about?

Any specifics?

NYC was devastated.
Almost 80% of the stores in downtown Manhattan went under and most new businesses couldn't stay open for more than 6 months.

I worked for Banker's Trust and we already knew Friday evening what had happened but some major Market Makers were going to try to boost some confidence in the Market for Monday morning.
I was told on Monday morning that by Saturday no major Firms were going to bail out any other firms.

I was in IT so I didn't know any big shots personally, but everything in the work place changed after that Saturday.
Especially being made to be at work 16 hours a day even if there was no work to be done.

By the way, Market crashes and Bubbles are insider information which is why the multi-millionaires and billionaires are usually unscathed by crashes and do VERY well in Bubbles.

NYC was devastated.

By the crash in 1987?

I worked for Banker's Trust and we already knew Friday evening what had happened

What happened on Friday?

Which firms needed a bail out?

but everything in the work place changed after that Saturday.

On the Saturday that the market crashed?

Any specifics?

NYC was devastated.

NYC was devastated.

By the crash in 1987?

I worked for Banker's Trust and we already knew Friday evening what had happened

What happened on Friday?

Which firms needed a bail out?

but everything in the work place changed after that Saturday.

On the Saturday that the market crashed?

NYC was devastated by the crash in 1987.
On Friday, the Dealers involved in non-US investments were already aware their money was invested in Toxic Instruments.
Almost every Banking Institution had invested in the emerging Global Economy.
Many banks, in fact, collapsed and were merged into the Big 6 or so of today.
Prior to the 1987 crash there were way more banks than Citibank and Chase Manhattan that you could spit out in a sound bite without thinking twice.
The same for the Top 8 Accounting Firms that almost overnight became the Top 4 Accounting Firms.
On Monday morning following the crash virtually all of Manhattan started working way past 9-5.
People were terrified of being laid off due to taking a lunch break.
Fast Food Restaurants, Fine Dining, electronics stores, hardware stores, record stores...all vanished within 3 months.
Manhattan became a ghost town.

Forum List

Back