Does Justice Stevens care about justice or politics?

Poor Stevens is in a bind. He wanted to retire but had to hold on until a marxist was elected president.

Now he doesn't know when he should because no one can tell when WooWoo Ginsburg is going to croak.

Poor Stevens is in a bind. He wanted to retire but had to hold on until a marxist was elected president.

Now he doesn't know when he should because no one can tell when WooWoo Ginsburg is going to croak.

Yes, those political hack presidents who appoint justices to the Supreme Court who mirror their views and the views of their party.

By the way, how are Justices Alito and Roberts doing these days?

He will have to wait even longer, since we haven't had a marxist president elected yet.

Last edited:
Was Yurt similarly upset when Sandra Day O'Connor pitched a fit on election night in 2000 because she was considering retirement and would have to delay it if Gore won?

So your questioning why an 89 year old man believes he would "surely" retire in the next year or two?

not what i said and not what stevens said...try reading what actually said

"I will surely do it while he's still president,"

what does it matter who is president?

So your questioning why an 89 year old man believes he would "surely" retire in the next year or two?

I dont know if it matters who is president. I think though that his comment more or less meant that he was retiring soon, which happens to coincide with Obamas term as president. Whos to say that he wouldnt have said the same had McCain been elected?

I think you are really stretching here to try and make a point.

I dont know if it matters who is president. I think though that his comment more or less meant that he was retiring soon, which happens to coincide with Obamas term as president. Whos to say that he wouldnt have said the same had McCain been elected?

He's not. Stevens had made it clear in the past that he was waiting for a Democrat to be elected before he'd retire. And my response to that is "So what?". Does anyone think O'Connor would have retired with Gore or Kerry in the White House?

Justice Stevens says he'll retire in Obama's term

"I will surely do it while he's still president," Stevens told The Washington Post.

Justice Stevens says he'll retire in Obama's term - Yahoo! News

why does it matter if it "surely" must be cone while he is still president?

every justice does that.

same as sandy day retired during bush's term and souter waited til bush was out of office.

think scalia or thomas would retire right now?

he explicitly said: while [obama] is president...you have to stretch to read anything else into what he said.

Justice Stevens says he'll retire in Obama's term

"I will surely do it while he's still president," Stevens told The Washington Post.

Justice Stevens says he'll retire in Obama's term - Yahoo! News

why does it matter if it "surely" must be cone while he is still president?

every justice does that.

same as sandy day retired during bush's term and souter waited til bush was out of office.

think scalia or thomas would retire right now?

i have no doubt, i don't recall any other justice being so blatent about it though...

i have no doubt, i don't recall any other justice being so blatent about it though...

they're all blatant about it, imo.

so they have all said it as explicitly as stevens? do you have a link?

also, i don't know if sandra would have cared who was president. she did not always vote conservative and she left primarily because of her husband.

also, i don't know if sandra would have cared who was president. she did not always vote conservative and she left primarily because of her husband.

Pick up Jeffrey Toobin's book Too Close to Call about the 2000 election. There is a sizable section where he talks about O'Connor's anger on election night that she'd have to stay on the bench for another four years if Gore won.

Pick up Jeffrey Toobin's book Too Close to Call about the 2000 election. There is a sizable section where he talks about O'Connor's anger on election night that she'd have to stay on the bench for another four years if Gore won.

if that is true and she said that.....that is unfortunate. i know the high court is full of politics. it is not supposed to be. would you agree?

New Topics

Forum List

Back