Does it concern you, that the U. S. Military is monitoring web sites such as USMB?

Stainmaster

Rookie
Apr 15, 2010
Southern California
Military Plans to Control Internet Revealed

"From influencing public opinion through new media to designing 'computer network attack' weapons, the US military is learning to fight an electronic war. 'Strategy should be based on the premise that the Department [of Defense] will 'fight the net' as it would an enemy weapons system.' The document recommends that the United States should seek the ability to 'provide maximum control of the entire electromagnetic spectrum'. US forces should be able to 'disrupt or destroy the full spectrum of globally emerging communications systems, sensors, and weapons systems'."
-- BBC article describing U.S. military plans to fight the Internet, 1/27/06

http://units.sla.org/division/dmil/mlw97/ramkey/index.htm

Internet: U.S. Military Plans to Control Internet

Last edited:
Why would it be of any concern that the US Military is learning and practicing to interrupt all forms of our enemies Communications?

If the US Military was not prepared to interrupt or even take over enemy communications to include internet, then I would be concerned.

Warfare is constantly changing, communications changes as fast if not faster. In the signal corps we had a saying, They can talk about us but they can't talk without us. You cannot win a war if you cannot effectively communicate.

the just like checking out EZ's avitars and Lolcat pictures.

devine.png

yourfate.jpg

idfb7.jpg

Last edited:
It's not the military who'd be monitoring anything.

It'd be the NSA.

There are all kinds of stories about ECHELON. I doubt most of them are true, but some might be. The technology exists.

The internet is more powerful than the military

Only people who should be scared are those who are providing material assistance to terrorists and our enemies. And those people I want scared.

Where does it say they are monitoring this site?

Please read the question of this thread again. It does NOT say the military is monitoring this site. Check the two links for details. The military has been monitoring the Internet, and they acknowledged it in 2006. It is not new news, it has just been on the down low.

I find it concerning and comforting at the same time.

I guess my position would be "If you're not doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about."

I have been concerned since the Patriot Act about the issues of privacy and security. The Patriot Act allowed the Government to obtain a list of library books an individual checked out. I can see both sides of the issue right to privacy and security.

If terrorists use web sites on the Internet to communicate, and the Government accidently finds out that you own a lot of hand guns should they have the ability to pursue it? If an individual expresses radical, even threatening views on the Internet, this could open an investigation into that individual that could violate the First Amendment.

There are just a lot of questions about the Government and new technology.

tsa_millimeter_wave_scan.jpg

Last edited:
it bothers me a whole lot more to know that every keystroke and every mouse click i make online is being monitored by commercial entities without my consent, ostensibly for market research. it's a warrantless search and seizure and insult to the fourth amendment if you ask me.

as for the government watching, i've got nothing to hide and if anything, at least i know that my opinion is being crunched by somebody to help somebody else make legislative or strategic decisions.

my peeve along this line is that i'm reasonably certain that some of the people who are real troublemakers online are getting paid by some agency covertly using tax dollars to sow dissent among the people.

it bothers me a whole lot more to know that every keystroke and every mouse click i make online is being monitored by commercial entities without my consent, ostensibly for market research. it's a warrantless search and seizure and insult to the fourth amendment if you ask me.

as for the government watching, i've got nothing to hide and if anything, at least i know that my opinion is being crunched by somebody to help somebody else make legislative or strategic decisions.

my peeve along this line is that i'm reasonably certain that some of the people who are real troublemakers online are getting paid by some agency covertly using tax dollars to sow dissent among the people.

You mean the paid political shills we get on here?

Military Plans to Control Internet Revealed

"From influencing public opinion through new media to designing 'computer network attack' weapons, the US military is learning to fight an electronic war. 'Strategy should be based on the premise that the Department [of Defense] will 'fight the net' as it would an enemy weapons system.' The document recommends that the United States should seek the ability to 'provide maximum control of the entire electromagnetic spectrum'. US forces should be able to 'disrupt or destroy the full spectrum of globally emerging communications systems, sensors, and weapons systems'."
-- BBC article describing U.S. military plans to fight the Internet, 1/27/06

U.S. Military Internet Sites

Internet: U.S. Military Plans to Control Internet

And why especially after the Patriot Act would anyone think that the military was not monitoring the web?

You mean the paid political shills we get on here?

we used to call them agent provocateurs back in the pre-internet dark ages that i call the "fun years" between 1965 and 1975.

but yeah, them. it's hard to accept that people would actually hold such absurd positions without being paid to do it.

Forum List

Back