Does Israel have nuclear weapons?

I

Indofred

Serious question.
They've never claimed to have them, just strong hints and most of those came from the US.
Tales of stolen nuclear material, taken like a child stealing from a sweet shop but from a high security plant.
Stories of sales to South Africa that never actually happened and so on.

Does Israeli actually have nukes or not?

I would bet good money on them having a nuclear arsenal.

I thought this was funny:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmw0rHZlQKg]Does Israel have nuclear weapons? Answer the question: yes or no - YouTube[/ame]

Serious question.
They've never claimed to have them, just strong hints and most of those came from the US.
Tales of stolen nuclear material, taken like a child stealing from a sweet shop but from a high security plant.

Most people think yes. Estimates range from 50-100 warheads, usable either as bombs or on cruise missiles.

Yes, they are believed to have them, which makes me wonder why in the hell we give them billions in welfare. Their economy isn't doing poorly either. We need to give them not one more red cent.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
I believe they do. But according to what I've heard they're old relics compared to what the U.S., Britain and France have at their disposal.

Serious question.

The Israeli nuclear program was first revealed publicly on December 13, 1960 in a small Time article,[63] which said that a non-Communist non-NATO country had made an "atomic development". On December 16, the Daily Express revealed this country to be Israel, and on December 18, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission chairman John McCone appeared on Meet the Press to officially confirm the Israeli construction of a nuclear reactor and announce his resignation.[64] The following day The New York Times, with the help of McCone, revealed that France was assisting Israel.[65]
Although Israel first built a nuclear weapon in the late 1960s, it is not publicly confirmed.[dubious – discuss] Mordechai Vanunu, a former Israeli nuclear technician, revealed details of the program to the British press in 1986.[citation needed]
Nuclear weapons and Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think they'd still be extant if they didn't have them?

I believe they do. But according to what I've heard they're old relics compared to what the U.S., Britain and France have at their disposal.

Considering they dont have to worry about what the major superpowers have (including China and Russia) some old relics are probably good enough.

Besides, thier planned use would be as a final retaliation if WMD's managed to wipe out a significant portion of Israel's population.

Considering they dont have to worry about what the major superpowers have (including China and Russia) some old relics are probably good enough.

Besides, thier planned use would be as a final retaliation if WMD's managed to wipe out a significant portion of Israel's population.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm no friend of Israel, but as far as I'm aware they've never threatened to use them. And even I can see that if Iran developed a nuclear warhead and viable delivery system they'd slam the threat of its use on the discussion table like a gunslinger would with his six-gun whenever they don't get their way.

Last edited:

I'm inclined to agree. I'm no friend of Israel, but as far as I'm aware they've never threatened to use them. And even I can see that if Iran developed a nuclear warhead and viable delivery system they'd slam the threat of its use on the discussion table like a gunslinger would with his six-gun whenever they don't get their way.

The issue with Iran or any of the other Middle East countries getting a bomb is and will continue to be the strategic vulnerability of the dense Israeli population compared to its neighbors. 3-4 nukes in the right places in Israel would lead to at least a decimation (in the classical sense) of the population, while the same response to the arab countries would be damaging, but not fatal. THIS is the logic that scares the crap out of Israel, the thought that one of thier enemies could think that they could out-survive a retaliatory strike.

Something else to consider.

Nuclear Bunker Buster
animation

This animation depicts a proposed weapon with a one megaton yield. The funding for this weapon was cut in 2005 defense appropriations. However, the United States still has a B61-11 nuclear 'bunker buster' in its arsenal which has a 400 kiloton yield, which could still cause hundreds of thousands of deaths and spread radiation to other countries.

The Nuclear Bunker Buster
Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator
Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator (RNEP): Nuclear Bunker Buster Animation (2005) | Union of Concerned Scientists

Yes they have older ones from America and France..now they build their own intercontinental missiles though..

Serious question.

Estimates I've seen based on the amount of fissionable material they can get from their Dimona reactor, they might have a little over 100 bombs/warheads, most probably of about 20 kiloton yield. They probably have the technology by now to build a much larger thermonuclear bomb, but I haven't seen any reports that claim they have.

Yes they have older ones from America and France..now they build their own intercontinental missiles though..

They have no nuclear weapons from France or the US. France helped Israel build its nuclear reactor and obtain heavy water from Norway, but balked at helping them develop nuclear weapons. All of this took place when Eisenhower's Atoms for Peace program was in full swing, so the US had no objections to Israel having a heavy water reactor as long as America could inspect it periodically to be sure no nuclear weapons research was going on. State Department officials suspected Israel was trying to build a bomb, but the Israelis denied it and the US couldn't prove it was true. Stories I've read claim the Israelis built removable false walls within the reactor to hide their weapons research. When the American inspectors arrived, the walls went up and no weapons research could be found. When the inspectors left, the walls came down and the Israeli engineers were hard at work trying to build a bomb.

Serious question.

They have never officially admitted to having them. However they have on several Occasions eluded to it. It is believed by the US and many that they have around 80 Nuclear Weapons, it is also Speculated that they either stole the Designs from the US, or the US gave them to them willingly, perhaps with the Stolen story simply to make it look like we didn't.

However as I said they have never admitted to having them officially, so nobody can give you a 100% solid answer to your Question.

I have no doubt that Israel has Nukes. how many, and what their capabilities are for delivering them I haven't the foggiest. But no doubt, they've got em............

Serious question.

The Israeli nuclear program was first revealed publicly on December 13, 1960 in a small Time article,[63] which said that a non-Communist non-NATO country had made an "atomic development". On December 16, the Daily Express revealed this country to be Israel, and on December 18, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission chairman John McCone appeared on Meet the Press to officially confirm the Israeli construction of a nuclear reactor and announce his resignation.[64] The following day The New York Times, with the help of McCone, revealed that France was assisting Israel.[65]
Although Israel first built a nuclear weapon in the late 1960s, it is not publicly confirmed.[dubious – discuss] Mordechai Vanunu, a former Israeli nuclear technician, revealed details of the program to the British press in 1986.[citation needed]
Nuclear weapons and Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think they'd still be extant if they didn't have them?

That, whist being a C+P from wiki, was quite interesting.
An un-named small country develops nukes and a British newspaper names it.
Hardly proof.

Then to McCone.
Hardly reliable. He was involved a mass of dodgy and corrupt projects for years, finally resigning when he was nabbed for suppressing reporters.
Not a man I'd be inclined to believe.

Mordechai Vanunu, supposedly, ratted out Israel.
Israeli, a nation with a serious history of murdering people who fuck about with it, kidnapped him from Germany, held a secret trial and now keep him under house arrest.
It's not what I'd expect.
A bullet through the brain would be more in keeping with Israeli policy.
Does anyone actually have any accounts of this man in prison, any eye witness accounts of anything or any actual evidence?
I've search every pro and anti Israeli site I can find - nothing at all.
Perhaps he was sipping iced drinks on a Brazilian beach.

I hope so.
That's probably the only reason we are able to find them on the map today.

Unless everyone thought they had such weapons.
Could this be the biggest con trick in history?

I hope so.
That's probably the only reason we are able to find them on the map today.

Unless everyone thought they had such weapons.
Could this be the biggest con trick in history?

Quite possible but I doubt it. It is NOT in Israel’s best interest to not be nuclear armed. They are surrounded by extremely hostile nations to their very existence.

On that note, if I were them and had failed to produce a viable weapon, I sure as hell would make it look like I had one too. The nuclear deterrent does not actually require the position of such weapons as the deploying of a nuclear weapon is at the point of no hope anyway.

Yes I am claiming that France did give them nuclear warheads...don't ask me how I know...and America did too...I know people who were involved....why do you think Israel had weopons ready and aimed at Arab states and threatened them with nukes? Im not going to say anymore

Forum List

Back