Does Islam encourage Terrorism?

I

Ike

Nearly all moderate Muslims are quick to insist the brand of Islam Osama Bin Ladin preaches is nothing like the one they practice. If so, why so much confusion? Its not just Osama Bin Ladin who is confused...there are literally hundreds of Islamic terrorist organizations, many more than existed during the similar struggles in Ireland with the Anglicans. Furthermore, its not just organizations that seem to view Islam in a violent light. There is not a single Muslim country that respects human rights (at least to the same degree as they are respected in Christian countries) and not a single Muslim country that gives women equal status.

Are these Muslim moderates not just kidding themselves when they insist theres nothing fundamentally wrong with Islam?

What do you think?

I don't think that Islam per se encoursges terrorism. It is fundamentalism that does.

The analogy of Ireland has been raised. To try and simplify a complex issue, religion eas used as a focal point for independance and the Nationalism. It is quite possible for catholics and protestants to live side by side. It has happened in many countries for many years. But if race cannot be used as an issue on which to base divisive policies, the religion is a good bet.

It seems to me that this is happening with Islam. Passages from the Koran are being interpreted in such a way as to deride the Infidel and this is being preached by political opportunists.

Islam has it's own rules of War and engagment of the enemy. What little I know of them contradict the Fundementalists view. I dont think the Islamic rules are as "humanitarian" as those of the Geneva Convention but they certainly dont include terrorism, far from it I would say.

As for the issue that Ike raise's regarding womens rights, this is the graetest tragedy in the muslim world. Women must be given equal rights and oppertunitys and IMHO strict orthodox muslims (note I am not using the term fundementalist but orthodox) and orthodox muslim nations will NEVER do this.

Finaly the issue of Human rights, again the treatment of women is the major problem, followed by the rights of none muslims who would have a lesser status even if citizens of the country.

In summation, I do not believe that a country following Sharia (Orthodox) Law to the letter can EVER deliver on equality in the sense which would be acceptable to us in the West, it just aint possible. However, how many muslim countries follow Sharia law? only Saudi Arabia as far as I know (could be more, dont know)... All the others could be flexible if the regimes chose to be.

Some good points Sabir.

I don't think one should say never when considering the development of womens rights. If you consider that 100 years ago women in the UK had no rights, not even the vote; it was still legal for a husband to beat his wife for example.

Obviously things have changed considerably but we still have a way to go before women achieve total social as well legal equality.

The orthodox Muslim nations clearly are a long way behind the west but many are changing their stance. I have the impression that even Saudi Arabia is starting to develop a change in their attitude. With so many of their professional nationals leaving the country to work in the west, largely due to the repressive nature of strict Islamic law, coupled with the fact that fewer westerners are prepared to work there now, this could act as a catalyst to start social change within, not only Saudi, but other countries as well.

I agree with you Leader, things will improve, my point is that Strict Sharia Law if followed to the letter simply does not allow equality of the sexes or between muslims and non-muslims by its very nature... so any indivdual or nation who follows this code can not deliver on equal rights because they just dont believe in them.

I do accept that most muslim nations including Saudi will eventualy become moderate and thus improve on the rights issue... but in that case they will no longer be following Sharia Law to the letter. Sooner the better.

Sabir,

You are quite right and I do not disagree with anything you say. I have worked and travelled in Saudi and many other Middle Eastern countries and have seen, and been a victim of, Sharia law in action.

One can only hope that Sharia Law will develop, as have Christian teachings, to embrace a modern society. I do think that we tend to lose sight of the fact that, at the time when religious codes were formulated social conditions were very different. That applies to all major religions, Christian, Islam, Judaism, Hindu etc etc. The main difference is that whilst the majority have at least gone partway to accommodate the 21st Century, Sharia Law is still firmly entrenched in the Middle Ages.

It would be nice to think that Sharia law will modify its principles to bring it in line with other religions but I guess that, as many of the worlds poorest nations embrace Islam, the social conditions are such that it may take longer than we would like.

BTW Sabir, I live in the UK as well.

Originally posted by 5.10 leader
I don't think that Islam per se encoursges terrorism. It is fundamentalism that does.

The analogy of Ireland has been raised. To try and simplify a complex issue, religion eas used as a focal point for independance and the Nationalism. It is quite possible for catholics and protestants to live side by side. It has happened in many countries for many years. But if race cannot be used as an issue on which to base divisive policies, the religion is a good bet.

It seems to me that this is happening with Islam. Passages from the Koran are being interpreted in such a way as to deride the Infidel and this is being preached by political opportunists.

Great analysis!

I can believe that there are a multitude of middle easterners, though not necessarily palestinians, who are like moderate westerners. I don't think the Americas are capable of an outright holy war.

But in all seriousness, the theocratic governments of Islam and all the politically ambitious muslim clerics are in need of a good old can of schism, and perhaps a bread riot or two.

I think that the countries that make up what is still known as 'Western Civilization' need an ass kicking. It's the US, Britain, a few Eastern Euro countries, along with a few 'off the record' Middle Eastern countries fighting this war alone. I'm not referring to Iraq, but the extreme Islamic war. They've declared it and the West for the most part hides in denial.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/ap/20040119/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_elections

Iranian Crisis Deepens As Elections Near
1 hour, 47 minutes ago

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's hard-line Guardian Council on Sunday defended its disqualification of prospective candidates for next month's parliamentary elections, further deepening a political crisis.

The Guardian Council, an unelected body controlled by hard-liners, has disqualified more than a third of the 8,200 people who applied to run in the Feb. 20 elections.

Reformists believe the move was an attempt to skew the elections in favor of conservatives.

"The Guardian Council won't back down at all," Guardian Council spokesman Ebrahim Azizi told a press conference. "Lawmakers whose speech or behavior suggest that they have had no loyalty to Islam or the constitution will remain disqualified."

The comments dashed hopes of a breakthrough after Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei ordered the Guardian Council on Wednesday to reconsider the disqualifications and laid down criteria that appeared to be easier to meet.

On Saturday, reformist Deputy Interior Minister Morteza Moballegh, who is Iran's chief of elections, warned he would not allow next month's legislative elections to proceed unless hard-liners backed down.

About 80 reformist lawmakers have been holding sit-in demonstrations for a week. They took their protest a step further Saturday by starting dawn-to-dusk fasts.

President Mohammad Khatami (news - web sites) condemned the disqualifications and warned he might resign if they were not reversed. And the European Union (news - web sites) and the United States said the elections would lose credibility unless the Guardian Council's decision was overturned.

Iran's 27 provincial governors have vowed to resign by Monday unless the disqualifications are reversed.

Forum List

Back