Does IQ Fluctuate Over Time?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
I swear I used to be smarter than I am now. Is it possible that a person's IQ could change with time, absent any disease? What would make that happen, if true?

Could it be I'm just as smart as ever, but I feel less sharp because my brain is overloaded or something? I just don't seem able to focus like I once could.

I don't know if your iq score fluctuates with time; I was under the impression that IQ testing is no longer de rigeur for determining real intelligence.

But our brains certainly lose elasticity (the ability to learn) over time. Hopefully by the time that happens, you've crammed so much in that even if you do lose some, you still have enough...

I'm smarter in some ways...but don't ask me what the hell I did over Christmas because for the life of me I can't remember. Nor can I keep my multiple Megans, Brittneys, Heidis and Ambers distinct from each other. I have multiples on my case load, and I do mix them up in my head. And I have no idea what I determined on the tanf case I did two days ago. It channels directly from the person, through me, onto the computer...and that's where I leave it.

I swear I used to be smarter than I am now. Is it possible that a person's IQ could change with time, absent any disease? What would make that happen, if true?

Could it be I'm just as smart as ever, but I feel less sharp because my brain is overloaded or something? I just don't seem able to focus like I once could.

Our brains just get full and clogged with garbage as we get older.
Too many reruns of Gilligans Island and such.

• Banned
I don't know if your iq score fluctuates with time; I was under the impression that IQ testing is no longer de rigeur for determining real intelligence.

But our brains certainly lose elasticity (the ability to learn) over time. Hopefully by the time that happens, you've crammed so much in that even if you do lose some, you still have enough...

I'm smarter in some ways...but don't ask me what the hell I did over Christmas because for the life of me I can't remember. Nor can I keep my multiple Megans, Brittneys, Heidis and Ambers distinct from each other. I have multiples on my case load, and I do mix them up in my head. And I have no idea what I determined on the tanf case I did two days ago. It channels directly from the person, through me, onto the computer...and that's where I leave it.

Forgetting is an art, and without it we could not survive.

I used to be able to get "in the zone"; spend time with a book etc. and cram all that data into my little pea brain. I haven't felt that sensation in a very long time now....I am willing to believe my brain is different than it was at 30.

• Banned
Every closed system faces the Law of Entropy. So, not the IQ, but the synapses, etc. etc. all degenerate at a time commensurate with that enclosed system. Each system has it's own degradation path.

I believe that it's not the IQ that changes. It is the ability for the mind to make use of the IQ's potentiality.

Do people stop making new synapses at some point? I did not know this.

I thought the brain continued to grow all throughout life.

Every closed system faces the Law of Entropy. So, not the IQ, but the synapses, etc. etc. all degenerate at a time commensurate with that enclosed system. Each system has it's own degradation path.

I believe that it's not the IQ that changes. It is the ability for the mind to make use of the IQ's potentiality.

There is a practice of mind refreshment that helps. Practice that allows one to pull up incidents that seem to be losing contact in the short term.

I thought the brain continued to grow all throughout life.

The electric effects degenerate Madeline. Sometimes the spark does not make it through the door because of degraded points of contact. The synapses are points of reference (doorways if you will).

It's the retrieval that is at issue in a non damaged system. You store the information fine, but the retrieval (at a later time) degrades.

So, you can help alleviate this by utilizing your minds elasticity in the process of retrieval of earlier stored data.

Someone gives you the name of someplace some person, etc. You want to keep this information. Write it down. Say it out loud. Every hour, see if you can remember it. If not, pull out the notepad/recorder, etc.

In time you will find that you need less refreshment (as it were). :lol:

There is a practice of mind refreshment that helps. Practice that allows one to pull up incidents that seem to be losing contact in the short term.
they have an app for that

:lol:

Hahahahaha.

A Madeline app?

What does it do, Divey? Argue with ya?

Hahahahaha.

A Madeline app?

What does it do, Divey? Argue with ya?
no, that was a joke
but isnt there a game thing for Nintendo DS call brain train or something like that?

I'd rather use the method I have learned. This one seems more to sharpen the response time of the brain.

That's useful as well.

But the method I was taught by my Rabbi works in the short term memory and this is where I lose information. My mental agility is fine, but my short term retrieval (of things I want to remember) is starting to lessen.

There was a time I just remembered. Now I have to massage it a bit. :lol:

I'd rather use the method I have learned. This one seems more to sharpen the response time of the brain.

That's useful as well.

But the method I was taught by my Rabbi works in the short term memory and this is where I lose information. My mental agility is fine, but my short term retrieval (of things I want to remember) is starting to lessen.

There was a time I just remembered. Now I have to massage it a bit. :lol:
i know that feeling
:redface:
open a search window, get distracted and forget what i was gonna search for

Forum List

Back