Does honesty exist?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Do people do things out of sheer kindness, or is there always an alterior motive? Is the purpose of charity groups to really help those in need, or is it something else? When governments contribute money in disaster relief (Katrina, Tsunami, etc.), is it honest desire to help, or is it something else? Can people be trusted? Can you be trusted?

Semper Fi said:
Do people do things out of sheer kindness, or is there always an alterior motive? Is the purpose of charity groups to really help those in need, or is it something else? When governments contribute money in disaster relief (Katrina, Tsunami, etc.), is it honest desire to help, or is it something else? Can people be trusted? Can you be trusted?

Yes---I'm convinced selfless acts of kindness exist !

But people help others because "it feels good" to help; so it can't be totally selfless. Again it depends on a person's motive.

Joz said:
But people help others because "it feels good" to help; so it can't be totally selfless. Again it depends on a person's motive.

Not always----people help people sometimes simply because its what they are here for. It's just "what they do".

dilloduck said:
Not always----people help people sometimes simply because its what they are here for. It's just "what they do".
But why do you suppose they do that?

dilloduck said:
Hell if I know--I'm sure not gonna try to soil the reputation of "saints" by ascribing some selfish motive to them tho.
Why not? ;)

Take Mother Theresa for exacmple. You think she enjoyed helping, made her feel good? Think she was arrogant enough to think she could make a difference? Think maybe she sought approval? Maybe something lacked in her own life?

Joz said:
Why not? ;)

Take Mother Theresa for exacmple. You think she enjoyed helping, made her feel good? Think she was arrogant enough to think she could make a difference? Think maybe she sought approval? Maybe something lacked in her own life?

I'm sure thats it----she was secretly a selfish old witch with psychological problems.

Semper Fi said:

Dude, aren't you 16? If you're this cynical now, fast forward to where you'll be in 30 years. Time to recalibrate.

Nuc said:
Dude, aren't you 16? If you're this cynical now, fast forward to where you'll be in 30 years. Time to recalibrate.

Haha, yeah I'm 16. That's why I asked you that, to see if my view of the world was completely mislead or not. Mislead in that I believe there are selfless acts of kindness, but people around me think differently.

Semper Fi said:
Haha, yeah I'm 16. That's why I asked you that, to see if my view of the world was completely mislead or not. Mislead in that I believe there are selfless acts of kindness, but people around me think differently.

The world may be dominated by selfish acts of assholism. But there are still plenty of selfless acts of kindness around. And you can contribute by choosing to do the latter rather than the former. Now get off the computer and do it.

Nuc said:
The world may be dominated by selfish acts of assholism. But there are still plenty of selfless acts of kindness around. And you can contribute by choosing to do the latter rather than the former. Now get off the computer and do it.

Yeah I try to. But can I do it tomorrow? :poke:

There are genuinely good people and genuine assholes in the world. It's been my experience that the assholes get more attention, because that's what they need.

But, yes, to a degree, I agree with Joz: I do think most people have their own motives for the things they do, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Do I think the government has disaster relief because they're a group of genuinely concerned people? Hell, no. Do I think they do it to cover their own asses? Hell, yeah!

USViking said:
Yes, there are selfless acts of kindness, and of course
being kind should make one feel good.

Being kind is not supposed to feel bad, is it?

That's what they're saying, feeling good is an alterior motive. I should have phrased the question as "negative alterior motives."

Semper Fi said:
That's what they're saying, feeling good is an alterior motive. I should have phrased the question as "negative alterior motives."
"Ulterior" motive.

Such people hate human beings, no matter what.
I'll go with the people who recognize that human behavior
can be pure in the best sence of the word.

Self interest is a great motivator. And it is not an entirely bad thing.

Forum List

Back