Does God Want Us to Eat Meat?

So I'm reading a passage of the bible today for my Western Literature class. Specifically, Genesis 1 and the story of creation. As I'm reading through it, something caught my eye that I never noticed before.

Genesis 1 - PassageLookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

Nowhere do you see that livestock or any animal are suppose to be eaten. Correct me if I am mistaken, but the bible doesn't even mention anyone eating animals until after the great flood. So what gives?

What are your thoughts on this USMB?
I think you will soon see this thread over run by pics of hot juicy steaks and blood thirsty comments from salivating meat lovers.

As to what God wants, you can make the Bible say anything you want it to. I don't even know if the Bible says God wants people to eat plants. He was kind of possesive about that apple.

it says plants are for food later in the passage......

the word livestock is used.....what other purpose would livestock have....
transportation, milk, wool, eggs

"I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be food for you. And to the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food. And it was so" (Genesis 1:29-30).

Genesis 9:1-3 says: "Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all of the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, now I give you everything."

"Because man chose to sin, he lost his proper position of authority over God's creation; he lost it in the Garden of Eden, and then it appears that he lost even more when God decided to flood the world because of man's wickedness. When man lost his original position on the earth, it caused all of creation to lose its proper position as well. And now, everything has been tainted with the perverted character of the Wicked One."

"In the millenium, when Jesus comes to restore this earth back to His original plan, we will then be able to enjoy the original plans and purposes for this earth. The animals will once again eat grass and not each other. Man will also enjoy the original foods God made for him and since the devil will no longer be present in this earth, all creation will be free from the curse of sin. The wild animals will no longer attack men. The lamb and the lion will lie down together. Man will have no desire to hunt or kill anything. All the earth groans and awaits for that day to come when the devil no longer roams this earth but is chained and cast into hell along with all of his followers."
Bible.com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back