Does God Want Us to Eat Meat?

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
So I'm reading a passage of the bible today for my Western Literature class. Specifically, Genesis 1 and the story of creation. As I'm reading through it, something caught my eye that I never noticed before.

Genesis 1 - PassageLookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

Nowhere do you see that livestock or any animal are suppose to be eaten. Correct me if I am mistaken, but the bible doesn't even mention anyone eating animals until after the great flood. So what gives?

What are your thoughts on this USMB?

So I'm reading a passage of the bible today for my Western Literature class. Specifically, Genesis 1 and the story of creation. As I'm reading through it, something caught my eye that I never noticed before.

And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

Nowhere do you see that livestock or any animal are suppose to be eaten. Correct me if I am mistaken, but the bible doesn't even mention anyone eating animals until after the great flood. So what gives?

Shut up and go make me a steak. :eusa_shhh:

I think you will soon see this thread over run by pics of hot juicy steaks and blood thirsty comments from salivating meat lovers.

As to what God wants, you can make the Bible say anything you want it to. I don't even know if the Bible says God wants people to eat plants. He was kind of possesive about that apple.

How you get that from that passage is interesting.

Well God in the OT was quite direct about what he wanted. Such as not eating from the forbidden knowledge tree of good and evil. And he never came out and said "You should eat animals."

And it's not only this passage, but the fact that as far as I can tell, people in the bible never ate meat until after the great flood.

I just thought it was interesting. And before you ask, no I'm not a vegan or whatever they are.

I think you will soon see this thread over run by pics of hot juicy steaks and blood thirsty comments from salivating meat lovers.

As to what God wants, you can make the Bible say anything you want it to. I don't even know if the Bible says God wants people to eat plants. He was kind of possesive about that apple.

it says plants are for food later in the passage......

the word livestock is used.....what other purpose would livestock have....

How you get that from that passage is interesting.

Well God in the OT was quite direct about what he wanted. Such as not eating from the forbidden knowledge tree of good and evil. And he never came out and said "You should eat animals."

And it's not only this passage, but the fact that as far as I can tell, people in the bible never ate meat until after the great flood.

I just thought it was interesting. And before you ask, no I'm not a vegan or whatever they are.

If He didn't want us to eat them He would have specified that we shouldn't, rather than specify that we should.

You are correct. The Bible says that before the Flood, all of God's creatures were vegetarian. (That would explain why the animals didn't eat each other in the Ark.) Nobody knows why this changed.

One possible explanation is that man started over after the flood, but without the innocence of Adam and Eve because of sin and wickedness. For man to survive, God allowed man to eat meat.

That's not a very good explanation, but it sounded good in Sunday School.

Now pass me the A-1 Steak Sauce!

If He didn't want us to eat them He would have specified that we shouldn't, rather than specify that we should.

Not necessary true. He didn't tell Cain to not murder Abel, doesn't mean Cain had a right to do it. I just find it interesting.

And again, this thread goes beyond just that passage. How come nobody in the bible ate meat until after the great flood? :confused:

Not necessary true. He didn't tell Cain to not murder Abel, doesn't mean Cain had a right to do it. I just find it interesting.

And again, this thread goes beyond just that passage. How come nobody in the bible ate meat until after the great flood? :confused:

tired of only eating fish?

You are correct. The Bible says that before the Flood, all of God's creatures were vegetarian. (That would explain why the animals didn't eat each other in the Ark.) Nobody knows why this changed.

One possible explanation is that man started over after the flood, but without the innocence of Adam and Eve because of sin and wickedness. For man to survive, God allowed man to eat meat.

That's not a very good explanation, but it sounded good in Sunday School.

Now pass me the A-1 Steak Sauce!

:lol: Medium rare steak?

And I thought about that too, must of been awfully hungry on that ark. :lol:

And it could be a possibility, it just seems odd. I mean technically after the great flood there should of been no land meat left. So in reality, they probably ate some species out of existence and would of made more sense to eat plants. :eusa_think:

Last edited:
If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us eyes that point forward like all carnivores instead of to the side......like plant-eaters or herbivores.

Except we weren't always carnivores and neither were other animals.

Later in Genesis 1:

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

Nothing about grabbing the nearest pig and going Hannibal Lecter on it. :lol:

Forum List

Back