I explain it by saying death is a part of this world. It still is today. That doesn't mean He destroyed our spirit which is what animates us.

this was not just death, this was the destruction of everything alive above water

Sodom & Gomorrah were also destroyed by God, I just can't wrap my head around your argument here, baw

God, by and large does not interfere in our lives. Jump from a tall building and you will prove the theory of gravity.

Tornados don't always skip over churches.

The natural law dictates that we will be born, live and then die. The body will be destroyed. The energy dissipated, the soul, will be judged.

The atoms are still there. When a tree sheds its leaves, the leaves go into the ground where the tree, or other plants, then take those nutrients and reuse them.

The same when animals die, they either get eaten or they go into the ground and become food for something or other.

Do things get destroyed, yes and no, the atoms don't get destroyed, they can change and become something else. This is life.

No need to make up a God to explain this.
I'm not making up God to explain it. The laws of nature existed before space and time were created. Those same laws led to beings that know and create. Their potential existed before space and time. It is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence.

“In my life as scientist I have come upon two major problems which, though rooted in science, though they would occur in this form only to a scientist, project beyond science, and are I think ultimately insoluble as science. That is hardly to be wondered at, since one involves consciousness and the other, cosmology. The consciousness problem was hardly avoidable by one who has spent most of his life studying mechanisms of vision. We have learned a lot, we hope to learn much more; but none of it touches or even points, however tentatively, in the direction of what it means to see. Our observations in human eyes and nervous systems and in those of frogs are basically much alike. I know that I see; but does a frog see? It reacts to light; so do cameras, garage doors, any number of photoelectric devices. But does it see? Is it aware that it is reacting? There is nothing I can do as a scientist to answer that question, no way that I can identify either the presence or absence of consciousness. I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception. Consciousness seems to me to be wholly impervious to science. The second problem involves the special properties of our universe. Life seems increasingly to be part of the order of nature. We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds life? It has occurred to me lately - I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities - that both questions might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that Mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality - that the stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is Mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life, and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create.” George Wald, 1984, “Life and Mind in the Universe”, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology Symposium 11, 1984: 1-15.

I explain it by saying death is a part of this world. It still is today. That doesn't mean He destroyed our spirit which is what animates us.

this was not just death, this was the destruction of everything alive above water

Sodom & Gomorrah were also destroyed by God, I just can't wrap my head around your argument here, baw
So you think it was more than death? What exactly was it then?

God, by and large does not interfere in our lives. Jump from a tall building and you will prove the theory of gravity.

The natural law dictates that we will be born, live and then die. The body will be destroyed. The energy dissipated, the soul, will be judged.

The atoms are still there. When a tree sheds its leaves, the leaves go into the ground where the tree, or other plants, then take those nutrients and reuse them.

The same when animals die, they either get eaten or they go into the ground and become food for something or other.

Do things get destroyed, yes and no, the atoms don't get destroyed, they can change and become something else. This is life.

I

It is called Grand Design, which implies a designer. Enter God

I know. However no one has ever been able to answer my question.

If the world is so complex that it must have been created by a god, then the god must be complex, and if the god is so complex, then god must have been created by someone. Who created god?

I do not consider intelligence to be either energy or matter. I do consider intelligence good, though it can become evil through free will. God is the sum of all knowledge/intelligence. Which is why we are made in His image. Knowledge is everywhere and does not die. There is also love which functions much the same.

I

If the world is so complex that it must have been created by a god, then the god must be complex, and if the god is so complex, then god must have been created by someone. Who created god?
The only solution to the first cause is something which is eternal and unchanging. The best explanation for this is consciousness itself. Scientists are discovering that the universe behaves like a brain. Don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself. It is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence.

um - destruction, baw

it was destruction

the actual verse has already been linked (Genesis 6; 7:

And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

um - destruction, baw

it was destruction

the actual verse has already been linked (Genesis 6; 7:

And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
I see. So will you be destroyed when you die?

God gave you free will to do what you want, to follow or not to follow..

Although the old testament shows a very vengeful god!

I believe he was vengeful until Jesus died the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, which opened a bridge to God . I do not see anger in the New testament.
The Jews did not see God as angry. They found meaning in suffering.

"From the eighth to the sixth centuries B. C., during which Israel and Judah tottered before the aggressive power of Syria, Assyria, Egypt, and Babylon, the prophets found meaning in their predicament by seeing it as God's way of underscoring the demand for righteousness. God was using Israel's enemies against her. The experience of defeat and exile was teaching the Jews the true worth of freedom. Another lesson was that those who remain faithful in adversity will be vindicated. Stated abstractly, the deepest meaning the Jews found in their Exile was the meaning of vicarious suffering: meaning that enters lives that are willing to endure pain that others might be spared it. "the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.""

07 Judaism

Actually you just proved my point!

I look at this a bit differently. A church burning down might be good if a community rallies around that church for a greater good.
I don't think we disagree. Blaming the church burning on God is wrong, when in reality it was an electrical short. But how people react is how we will be judged.

I believe he was vengeful until Jesus died the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, which opened a bridge to God . I do not see anger in the New testament.

"From the eighth to the sixth centuries B. C., during which Israel and Judah tottered before the aggressive power of Syria, Assyria, Egypt, and Babylon, the prophets found meaning in their predicament by seeing it as God's way of underscoring the demand for righteousness. God was using Israel's enemies against her. The experience of defeat and exile was teaching the Jews the true worth of freedom. Another lesson was that those who remain faithful in adversity will be vindicated. Stated abstractly, the deepest meaning the Jews found in their Exile was the meaning of vicarious suffering: meaning that enters lives that are willing to endure pain that others might be spared it. "the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.""

07 Judaism

How so?

I look at this a bit differently. A church burning down might be good if a community rallies around that church for a greater good.
I don't think we disagree. Blaming the church burning on God is wrong, when in reality it was an electrical short. But how people react is how we will be judged.
He uses it all for the good of those who love Him. He is a Master Craftsman.

07 Judaism

How so?

That God was vengeful!

07 Judaism

Are you Jewish?

I can agree with that...Before Christ they did regular rituals to offer sacrifice ..After Jesus gave His life, as he said it is finished.

God is the master potter, while going through trials and tribulations we are molded in the Kiln... painful but when you walk through adversity it changes your life and the vessel becomes stronger..

I cannot imagine not having that understanding of God, and faith while going through difficult times..

07 Judaism

Are you Jewish?

I can agree with that...Before Christ they did regular rituals to offer sacrifice ..After Jesus gave His life, as he said it is finished.

God is the master potter, while going through trials and tribulations we are molded in the Kiln... painful but when you walk through adversity it changes your life and the vessel becomes stronger..

I cannot imagine not having that understanding of God, and faith while going through difficult times..
No. I'm not Jewish. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Of course, He IS Jewish.

God does not destroy what He creates. How do I know? Well... first of all He has given us a Natural Law which tells us He does not destroy what He creates; The First Law of Thermodynamics which states that matter and energy cannot be destroyed or created. Since time and space were created matter and energy have only changed form. Secondly, He tell us in Genesis what He created is good. He does not destroy what is good. It is not in His Nature to do so.

Wrong! See: Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 6 - King James Version
Now this is where some study is required to show the errors in a carnally minded human's thinking process (precepts are off I used to wonder about these things too).

The tools on the left hand side of each verse will help to understand the words a little better. Daughters 'bath' for example can mean a place, a person-child or an area. Men is generally speaking about the heavenly hosts planted into the earth. A human is red earth biblically speaking. Of the earth= adamah 'a human-adam made to till the soil (person living in flesh), lusty red earth, etc.' The tools upon study may help if you are looking for understanding to the meanings of this chapter. Genesis Chapter 6 (KJV) Giants, the Nephilim, nᵉphîyl, nef-eel'; or נְפִל nᵉphil; from H5307; properly, a feller, i.e. a bully or tyrant:—giant.

In the beginning God planted all of the heavenly and earthly hosts (sixth day). It is on the seventh day a human is given breath and adam 'the red earth human' becomes a living soul.

I

I do not consider intelligence to be either energy or matter. I do consider intelligence good, though it can become evil through free will. God is the sum of all knowledge/intelligence. Which is why we are made in His image. Knowledge is everywhere and does not die. There is also love which functions much the same.

As I said, no one can answer my question.

07 Judaism

Are you Jewish?

No. I'm not Jewish. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Of course, He IS Jewish.

Orthodox Jews believe in the vengeful god and that Jesus was just a man, but not the son of God.

Torah - Wikipedia

I see. So will you be destroyed when you die?

at this point, you are being obtuse
I don't believe I am. I am making the distinction that death is not destruction of our souls. Everyone will die. None of us will be destroyed. The only question remaining is will we be separated from God when we do die.

I

As I said, no one can answer my question.
I answered it in post #22.

Forum List

Back