Does Fracking Cause Earthquakes? No. Windmills Do.

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0045/00454076.pdf

Measurements at distances of 25, 50 and 100 m from the St Breock’s Down wind farm, Cornwall, found discrete seismic vibrations could be detected at 0.5 Hz and multiples of 0.5 Hz, specifically 3.0, 4.5, 6.0 and 7.5 Hz (Legerton, et al. 1996, Snow and Styles 1997). Using turbine shut down sequences it was shown that the discrete vibrations were produced by the wind turbines and it was inferred that 0.5 Hz multiples were related to multiples of the blade pass frequency. It was also shown that the amplitude of seismic vibration increased with wind speed. Seismic measurements near the Stateline wind farm, Washington, USA found seismic signals that could be attributed to the wind farm up to 18 km from the closest wind turbine (Schofield 2001). The geology of the survey site is dominated by the Touchet bed of the Walla Walla Valley consisting of gravel, fine sediment and rhythmites which are up to 100 m thick (Baker 1978) which have slow ground wave propagation velocities of ~ 500 ms-1 (Schofield 2001). Schofield (2001) deployed seismometers at 10 sites ranging from 24 m to 18,270 m from the wind farm and found discrete signals at 1.47, 2.95, 4.34, 5.88 and 7.35 Hz that were attributed to multiples of the frequency at which the blade passes the turbine tower, the blade pass frequency. Stable peaks with respect to time and wind speed were found and interpreted as being due to the resonance of the tower topped by the nacelle and rotor. Schofield (2001) found that amplitude of seismic vibation reduced with the inverse of distance (1/r) and postulated that this indicated that seismic path propogated partly through air as infrasound, before being coupled with the earth to form seismic waves.

I think most of the noise it produces comes from the combustion of its fuel. I have an extremely sensitive acoustic system sitting about 200 yards from a 1 MW wind turbine built on ancient coral limestone (a relatively rigid substrate). My system's lower, 3dB rolloff point is below 10 Hz. We hear NOTHING from the wind turbine.

:bsflag:

You listening to the GROUND? Where is the sensor? And how broad band is "your system"?

The LEVELS of seismic signals at the input to their receivers is EXTREMELY low. Can respond to noise in a stadium about 100 miles away.

And the acoustic energy of a 1MW turbine can be over 50 or 60 dbA at a couple hundred yards..

The University of Wyoming is doing a ground study on sub 1 hz ground waves and what they do to various types of land mass.. Wind turbines in groups create these propagating waves. They can be tracked hundreds of miles away. Its the group, in unison and the surface wind pressure waves. There is actually a kinetic potential in the waves..

I don't know the ramifications of larger groups of turbines, and other mitigating items but it struck me as kind of odd but plausible this morning.. Going to be reading up on this the next few days..

At most -- it's an ANNOYANCE to folks living within 20 miles or so. As it couples thru the foundation and may RESONATE with various structures in the house.

At WORST -- it screws with the ability of seismic stations to measure and locate epicenters of REAL quakes.

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0045/00454076.pdf

Measurements at distances of 25, 50 and 100 m from the St Breock’s Down wind farm, Cornwall, found discrete seismic vibrations could be detected at 0.5 Hz and multiples of 0.5 Hz, specifically 3.0, 4.5, 6.0 and 7.5 Hz (Legerton, et al. 1996, Snow and Styles 1997). Using turbine shut down sequences it was shown that the discrete vibrations were produced by the wind turbines and it was inferred that 0.5 Hz multiples were related to multiples of the blade pass frequency. It was also shown that the amplitude of seismic vibration increased with wind speed. Seismic measurements near the Stateline wind farm, Washington, USA found seismic signals that could be attributed to the wind farm up to 18 km from the closest wind turbine (Schofield 2001). The geology of the survey site is dominated by the Touchet bed of the Walla Walla Valley consisting of gravel, fine sediment and rhythmites which are up to 100 m thick (Baker 1978) which have slow ground wave propagation velocities of ~ 500 ms-1 (Schofield 2001). Schofield (2001) deployed seismometers at 10 sites ranging from 24 m to 18,270 m from the wind farm and found discrete signals at 1.47, 2.95, 4.34, 5.88 and 7.35 Hz that were attributed to multiples of the frequency at which the blade passes the turbine tower, the blade pass frequency. Stable peaks with respect to time and wind speed were found and interpreted as being due to the resonance of the tower topped by the nacelle and rotor. Schofield (2001) found that amplitude of seismic vibation reduced with the inverse of distance (1/r) and postulated that this indicated that seismic path propogated partly through air as infrasound, before being coupled with the earth to form seismic waves.

I accept this. But the idea that the amplitude of those signals is sufficient to trigger an earthquake is ludicrous.

I think most of the noise it produces comes from the combustion of its fuel. I have an extremely sensitive acoustic system sitting about 200 yards from a 1 MW wind turbine built on ancient coral limestone (a relatively rigid substrate). My system's lower, 3dB rolloff point is below 10 Hz. We hear NOTHING from the wind turbine.

:bsflag:

You listening to the GROUND? Where is the sensor? And how broad band is "your system"?

The LEVELS of seismic signals at the input to their receivers is EXTREMELY low. Can respond to noise in a stadium about 100 miles away.

And the acoustic energy of a 1MW turbine can be over 50 or 60 dbA at a couple hundred yards..

The University of Wyoming is doing a ground study on sub 1 hz ground waves and what they do to various types of land mass.. Wind turbines in groups create these propagating waves. They can be tracked hundreds of miles away. Its the group, in unison and the surface wind pressure waves. There is actually a kinetic potential in the waves..

I don't know the ramifications of larger groups of turbines, and other mitigating items but it struck me as kind of odd but plausible this morning.. Going to be reading up on this the next few days..
Link, Silly Billy, link!

Does fracking cause earthquakes? No. Windmills do.

Now this is an interesting read. I don't buy the hover craft explanation but what I do buy is the transference of stress from the wind to the earth. When you block wind and drive that pressure into the earth you can most certainly create stress where very little used to exist. Create over 6000 points of stress on a section of the plate and at a oblique angle to fault lines and you have the makings of earth quakes. Now we add the low frequency vibrations that are known to emanate from wind turbines and we have stress complicated by low frequency harmonic vibrations. When you include the water tables you get liquefaction and the potential for slip strike faults moving increases significantly..

The construction of windmill farms in Oklahoma correlates much better to the sudden upward trend of earthquakes. Remember the key year is 2009. That was long after fracking had already achieved widespread implementation. But it was just on the cusp of a massive uptick in windmill farm construction.

The windmill boom began in Oklahoma in 2003 with the construction of Oklahoma Wind Energy Center in Harper County, with a rated capacity of 102 Megawatts. According toinformation published by the Kansas Energy Information, between 2003 and 2008, Oklahoma allowed construction of 6 more bird-killing machines that together have a rated capacity of 706 MW. I say “rated” because who’s kidding who, windmills don’t produce energy like their proponents promise.

His corollary evidence at least needs to be looked into.. It makes a whole lot more sense than injection wells, which we have been doing for decades, just recently causing it.

Food for thought..
are you fucking insane ?

fracking breaks rocks, at a depth of more the 2 miles of course that produces earthquakes, any moron can see that

windmills are on the survice of earth, how the fuck could they produce earthquakes. ??????

your an obviouse insane moron

in oklahoma city they are now forbidding any injection, because of the earthquakes the oil industrie produced

i think its too^late

a investor does not need to care about people, does not care about the world, an investor just cares about money and his profit

if you belive in the free market, you belive in the death of earth, thats profitable

a merchant can make profit of killing every human being on earth

merchants made a lot of profit of slavery

it needs
gouvernement to prevent slavery

Last edited:
Given the moon causes tide in the solid ground as well as the ocean, of course those tidal stresses can act as the trigger on a fault that is ready to go. But how on earth does that change the fact that the injection of waste fluids from fracking into faults can lubricate those faults, and also trigger earthquakes?

Forum List

Back