Does everyone realize....

So, basically, you're jealous because your boss took risks, worked hard and is reaping the benefits whereas you have taken no risk, did the job you're paid to do and no more, and you can't afford a corvette. You actually don't KNOW what hours your boss works, you know only what you see. Just like you did with me, you make assumptions based on your own petty prejudices.

That's what this thread boils down to. Petty jealousy.

Wish I could explain it to you, but somethings can't be said online. Some of us must eat the shit we are served for the sakes of our families.

You were the one who started this thread. And you started it as a bitch about 'bosses' more than anything else. I would respect that - if you bitched about real issues with your boss but you don't. You claim that all small business owners are lazy asses who reap the rewards of other people's work. That is simply bullshit.

No, that is you simplifing what I said and then paraphrasing it into what you thought I said. I defy you to find where I used the word "lazy" or anything like it.

I wish I could provide stats at this point, but I don't have the time to look right now. This is why I said, "it is not true of everyone". I can only say that I work 50-60 hours a week at multiple jobs. Where the two employers I work for don't appear to do so. The friends that I have also work multiple jobs and put in comparable hours, and they tell the same stories of their employers. There are stats and facts, and they tend to be given as an average. Stats and facts don't change the unique situation I and others like me find ourselves. We work longer and harder and take on more and more responsibilities for multiple owners, and still go backwards. My employer comes to work in his new corvette and I parked my vehicle in favor of my bicycle because of costs. That is the reality and all the stats and facts don't change that. My second job, the employer has us wash and wax his forty foot house boat every year before he goes on Easter vacation, all the while pulling time cards checking to make sure no one works over forty hours. Complaining that the three of us don't work as fast as the five of us did last year. That is reality.
It took me less time to find this than it took you to type that:

Moonlighting: Strategies for Managing Working Multiple Jobs

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, about 7 to 8 million of us -- about 5+ percent of all workers -- work multiple jobs (which is often referred to as moonlighting and dual or multiple jobholding).​

If you don't like your situation, change it. Make yourself more valuable to your employers.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that anyone owes you anything.

One day I'll have a newer computer instead of the six year old modle I have now. Oh the frustration:eek:
Thanks for finding that.

Why am I not surprised that it's not your fault that you couldn't find a link? It's the computer's fault.... it's your boss's fault... there's always someone to blame for your failures... and it's never you.

Wake up and smell the coffee, you get out what you put in. You have choices in life. You really want more money, go and get it. Go ask your boss how you can be a better employee, what does he want from you in order for you to get promotion or that next raise.

Not so long ago, I helped a homeless guy who was trying to get back on his feet. We went through interview skills and worked on his computer skills, and I helped him improve his spelling and gammar.... basic shit but vital for a job. A while ago he got a job.... a few weeks ago he got promotion.... why? Because when everyone else was heading out the door as soon as the clock hit the end of their shift, he'd be the one staying behind to tidy up.... and extra 5 minutes a day.... nothing... but when they needed a supervisor, he got the job over people who'd been there a lot longer.... because he was committed to doing the job to the best of his ability and going the extra mile.

Wish I could explain it to you, but somethings can't be said online. Some of us must eat the shit we are served for the sakes of our families.

You were the one who started this thread. And you started it as a bitch about 'bosses' more than anything else. I would respect that - if you bitched about real issues with your boss but you don't. You claim that all small business owners are lazy asses who reap the rewards of other people's work. That is simply bullshit.

No, that is you simplifing what I said and then paraphrasing it into what you thought I said. I defy you to find where I used the word "lazy" or anything like it.

You claimed that business owners don't work as hard as their employees. That is simply not true.

I wish I could provide stats at this point, but I don't have the time to look right now. This is why I said, "it is not true of everyone". I can only say that I work 50-60 hours a week at multiple jobs. Where the two employers I work for don't appear to do so. The friends that I have also work multiple jobs and put in comparable hours, and they tell the same stories of their employers. There are stats and facts, and they tend to be given as an average. Stats and facts don't change the unique situation I and others like me find ourselves. We work longer and harder and take on more and more responsibilities for multiple owners, and still go backwards. My employer comes to work in his new corvette and I parked my vehicle in favor of my bicycle because of costs. That is the reality and all the stats and facts don't change that. My second job, the employer has us wash and wax his forty foot house boat every year before he goes on Easter vacation, all the while pulling time cards checking to make sure no one works over forty hours. Complaining that the three of us don't work as fast as the five of us did last year. That is reality.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, about 7 to 8 million of us -- about 5+ percent of all workers -- work multiple jobs (which is often referred to as moonlighting and dual or multiple jobholding).​

If you don't like your situation, change it. Make yourself more valuable to your employers.

One day I'll have a newer computer instead of the six year old modle I have now. Oh the frustration:eek:
Thanks for finding that.

It's got nothing to do with your computer. It's got everything to do with your attitude.

You claimed that business owners don't work as hard as their employees. That is simply not true.

I just re-read the original post and wow...I can't believe that I let you take this as far off topic as it has gotten. I thought I said some far out shit in the original OP, listening to how you have paraphrased my words. However, I was right I said no such things. Did you get the part where I said no one begrudges the owners making a profit? No. Did you read the part where I said they should make more and benefit more from their hard work? No. Did you read the part about if he isn't making money than we don't have a job? No. What part of the OP did you read? This OP was about the business owner bitching and whining about how he can't make it work because of the government and the workers, and how he needs more from both in order to survive. It is about telling the owner to suck it up and drive on just like he tells his employees. It is about treating people fairly, again we expect him to make and benefit more but the divide shouldn't be that wide and he shouldn't be complaining about the fact that how someone who is barely making it by working two jobs is holding him back from his third vacation of the year in Las Vegas.

Thanks for finding that.

It's got nothing to do with your computer. It's got everything to do with your attitude.

The blue screen of death does not seem to respond to positive attitude.

I just re-read the original post and wow...I can't believe that I let you take this as far off topic as it has gotten. I thought I said some far out shit in the original OP, listening to how you have paraphrased my words. However, I was right I said no such things. Did you get the part where I said no one begrudges the owners making a profit? No. Did you read the part where I said they should make more and benefit more from their hard work? No. Did you read the part about if he isn't making money than we don't have a job? No. What part of the OP did you read? This OP was about the business owner bitching and whining about how he can't make it work because of the government and the workers, and how he needs more from both in order to survive. It is about telling the owner to suck it up and drive on just like he tells his employees. It is about treating people fairly, again we expect him to make and benefit more but the divide shouldn't be that wide and he shouldn't be complaining about the fact that how someone who is barely making it by working two jobs is holding him back from his third vacation of the year in Las Vegas.

So you only reference what you said in your OP? Interesting. Because you also commented on his corvette and that you have to use your bike. And now you bitch because he's taking a third vacation. Well, he took the risk of starting up that business, of employing other people, he put in the hard work to build his business, he sacrificed, his family probably sacrificed too. So what? It's his business.

Life is not fair. It never has been and it never will be. All anyone can do is to be responsible for themselves and work hard to get what they want. He did. You clearly do not. That was your choice, no one made it for you.

Thanks for finding that.

And yet, oddly, it seemed to work fine when you typed that long post where you said you didn't have the time to look for stats.

So you only reference what you said in your OP? Interesting. Because you also commented on his corvette and that you have to use your bike. And now you bitch because he's taking a third vacation. Well, he took the risk of starting up that business, of employing other people, he put in the hard work to build his business, he sacrificed, his family probably sacrificed too. So what? It's his business.

Life is not fair. It never has been and it never will be. All anyone can do is to be responsible for themselves and work hard to get what they want. He did. You clearly do not. That was your choice, no one made it for you.

Your right life is not fair, it never has and it never will be. He needs to quit bitching about his taxes, and the government regulations, and how the minimum wage and health insurances are making things tight for him. Maybe he should get a second job like the rest of us.

Everything is always someone elses fault and why can't my boss just give me a million dollar a year salary. Is that the theme of this thread?

Your right life is not fair, it never has and it never will be. He needs to quit bitching about his taxes, and the government regulations, and how the minimum wage and health insurances are making things tight for him. Maybe he should get a second job like the rest of us.
And if the government interference in his business forces him to shut down, are you going to blame him or the government?

I think I know, but I'd like to hear your answer.

I own a small business and haven't had a week off in 4 years.

Shit I even give my part time people vacations. And I'll tell you something else:

I never buy new cars but last year 3 of my employees bought brand new cars. I've had the same cell phone for 4 years but most of my employees have a new one every 6 months it seems not to mention new i pads (I have a 4 year old lap top that works just fine)

Seems to me if they were half as good with their money as I am that they would all be doing much better financially.

And yet, oddly, it seemed to work fine when you typed that long post where you said you didn't have the time to look for stats.

I've learned some neat tricks over time. Like the copy and paste. first you write it on word perfect and then you copy it to past here. That saves alot of time, because you never know when that special moment will arrive. You lose enough stuff, copy is your friend. Stay in one place, when you start moving from site to site your screwed, it seems to enhance the chances of the blue screen. Learn to type fast is the last thing, honestly I do spell better than this.

Wow...I can see you know almost nothing about owning a small business.
Nothing.

small business did just fine under the tax rates as they existed when clinton became president. the bush tax cuts have NOTHING to do with "small" business. business expensies are automatically deducted from income when filing taxes. you hire more people, you don't pay taxes on that money. it only taxes INCOME.

ultimately it doesn't matter. we can't afford them. business will do just fine with an extra couple of percent.

Are you a small business owner or a worker?

The Bush tax cuts did nothing to help or hinder small business. The extra couple percentage points they pay in taxes is negligable and doesn't effect the bottom line. Hmmm interesting. Thank you.

She's right.

And if the government interference in his business forces him to shut down, are you going to blame him or the government?

I think I know, but I'd like to hear your answer.

Sorry to say but my employer is not like "Skull Pilot" below. I would have to blame him.

Wow...I can see you know almost nothing about owning a small business.
Nothing.

Wow, how about filling me in then? Why are you a business owner instead of a worker? I told you this is from a workers point of view. Whats your point of view? Small little comments like that won't help workers see your point. It just re-enforces the belief that you think you are above us because we just don't get it.

I have a feeling that you will never see the "other side" - because you obviously have a "us vs. them" mentality.

But maybe I like to waste my time so I will try anyhow...

It is basic human psychology.
Everything you do, from picking your nose to picking out a spouse to deciding whether you want lemonade or tea - EVERYTHING you do is a balance between two things - hopes of gaining a positive incentive or avoiding a negative incentive. If there is one sentence that could explain why people do - what they do - it is simply weighing the two and coming to a decision.

So - between being a worker or an owner this basic human rule applies perfectly.
OWNING A BUSINESS....or WORKER.
(I) = incentive..(D) = disincentive.

(I) - being your own boss - (D) far greater responsibility
(I) - higher wages - (D) much longer hours
(I) - satisfaction of owning something - (D) Risk of owning something
(I) - higher income - (D) High personal risk
(I) nicer home etc. - (D) very little free time, spending late hours in home office and weekends at the office.
(I) vacations in nicer places - (D) working while you are on vacations.

The list goes on and on.
being an owner or a worker comes down to who accepts the high personal risk, long hours and in many cases extraordinary long hours - to achieve something that you yourself accomplished.

entrepreneur --Another name for people who usually so suck at taking direction, that they elect to work for themselves mostly because they really have no choice.

Small businesses, (I mean REAL small businesses, not the horse-hokey definition the SBA calls "small") like much like most of the working class, are taking it on the neck while BIG CAPITAL gobbles up most of the American-dream pie.

Most small businesses rise and fall with the economy.

When their customers are broke, so are they.

Some of you folks need to stop pissing on our shoes and calling it rain, know what I mean?

....My question for the business owner is...In your opinion what does the government and the worker have to give up to you in order for you to feel that you are successful? How far above the rest of us do you need to be before you feel comfortable?

I'm never sure what a small business is? If you check figures in the link below you'll see there are lots of businesses with 1-4 or 4-9 employees, but if you compare their empolyee numbers with businesses over 500 employees, they are not the big employer we are lead to believe. In HS I worked in a small business and today I know a few well enough to see a bit of the true light. These few I know are under ten employees with seasonal changes to maybe twenty. And the only thing that bothers these businesses is business, government is not relevant when everyone is doing well and buying. The canard that government kills business is BS. What kills business is a lack of customers, what kills customers is outsourcing jobs to India, to companies like Nike making nothing here but money, and in money investing in a global economy where the goal is money and more money can be made somewhere other than here. Seems simple to me, buy American and complain when it isn't made in America. All this talk about creating jobs means nada when nothing is made here and cheap made there is the only purchase most make. Just today I heard one of my whiny republican friends bought a Korean car. Does this whiner have the right to whine I ask. Statistics about Small Business from the Census Bureau

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/128477-did-obama-save-gm-3.html

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Ohh about halfway.

Many seem to think that the market is our economy.

Other than IPO's and such the stiock market is like trading baseball cards.
With the exception of some dividends.
While a great deal of money exchanges hands in the market, it's really only an indicator of the health of the economy. If the business who produce good and services are doing well, the market does well.

Yes an indicator of the global economy Which does not only include the US economy.
The US economy can be dropping and the market going up.

Wow, how about filling me in then? Why are you a business owner instead of a worker? I told you this is from a workers point of view. Whats your point of view? Small little comments like that won't help workers see your point. It just re-enforces the belief that you think you are above us because we just don't get it.

I have a feeling that you will never see the "other side" - because you obviously have a "us vs. them" mentality.

But maybe I like to waste my time so I will try anyhow...

It is basic human psychology.
Everything you do, from picking your nose to picking out a spouse to deciding whether you want lemonade or tea - EVERYTHING you do is a balance between two things - hopes of gaining a positive incentive or avoiding a negative incentive. If there is one sentence that could explain why people do - what they do - it is simply weighing the two and coming to a decision.

So - between being a worker or an owner this basic human rule applies perfectly.
OWNING A BUSINESS....or WORKER.
(I) = incentive..(D) = disincentive.

(I) - being your own boss - (D) far greater responsibility
(I) - higher wages - (D) much longer hours
(I) - satisfaction of owning something - (D) Risk of owning something
(I) - higher income - (D) High personal risk
(I) nicer home etc. - (D) very little free time, spending late hours in home office and weekends at the office.
(I) vacations in nicer places - (D) working while you are on vacations.

The list goes on and on.
being an owner or a worker comes down to who accepts the high personal risk, long hours and in many cases extraordinary long hours - to achieve something that you yourself accomplished.

entrepreneur --Another name for people who usually so suck at taking direction, that they elect to work for themselves mostly because they really have no choice.

Small businesses, (I mean REAL small businesses, not the horse-hokey definition the SBA calls "small") like much like most of the working class, are taking it on the neck while BIG CAPITAL gobbles up most of the American-dream pie.

Most small businesses rise and fall with the economy.

When their customers are broke, so are they.

Some of you folks need to stop pissing on our shoes and calling it rain, know what I mean?

There is some truth to your definition but there are many positives along with your negative connotations.

I hate being told what to do; always have. The line , "There's no good reason for it, it's simply our policy" which seems to be easy for sheep to swallow never sat well with me. I butted heads with most of my past bosses not because I didn't do the job and do it well but because I didn't do it the way they told me to. It didn't matter to them that I got better results only that i didn't follow their piss poor direction.

But then again, because i hate being told what to do, I have achieved far more than I would have if i was simply a good drone. I ran into an old boss of mine a while back and he's still slaving away at the same company for someone else and I make twice as much as him now.

Last edited:
In addition to my full time work as an employee, I also start up small businesses and sell them from whatever idea I think may benefit people. I have built up two and sold both and now am working on my third. I take care of my employees and pay them x percent above market rate for whatever position they may take. I buy from American vendors approx 90 percent of the time. I'd much rather give them my money than some other foreign country and be able to talk to them over the phone or in person.

Both companies had 3 -5 employees and the conditions were:

1. They knew, going in, that the end goal was to sell the company, and
2. They would be guaranteed a good severance package when company was sold.

I work about 80-100 hours a week and love it.

Forum List

Back