Does Congress Have the Authority to Tax Americans At Different Rates?

Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
By Gary DeMar
1-2-13

The 16th Amendment gave the Federal Government the authority and power to tax every citizen. Here’s the wording of the Amendment:

“The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.”

Please note that there is no provision in this amendment that Congress is given the right to unequally apply this power. In looking over all the Constitution’s amendments, I don’t see an unequal distribution of either a freedom or limitation.

Equality under the law requires that as each of us stands before the courts or the Constitution, no one should be treated in an unequal way. The law applies to every citizen equally, except, it seems, when it comes to apply the 16th Amendment.

(Excerpt)

Read more at:

Dey do if dey want to...

... just like dey exempty demselves from labor laws if dey want to...

... `cause dey take-a the gold...

... an' make-a the rules.
:eusa_eh:

By Gary DeMar
1-2-13

The 16th Amendment gave the Federal Government the authority and power to tax every citizen. Here’s the wording of the Amendment:

“The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.”

Please note that there is no provision in this amendment that Congress is given the right to unequally apply this power. In looking over all the Constitution’s amendments, I don’t see an unequal distribution of either a freedom or limitation.

Equality under the law requires that as each of us stands before the courts or the Constitution, no one should be treated in an unequal way. The law applies to every citizen equally, except, it seems, when it comes to apply the 16th Amendment.

(Excerpt)

Read more at:

There are very few things unequal in a progressive tax system. I'm sure you can probably find a few, but in it's simplest form, everyone is taxed the same. You just don't get taxed higher rates if you don't earn enough income to get you to that bracket. Remember that those who make enough to be taxed at higher rates only pay those rates on income above a certain level. They don't pay that rate on all of their income; therefore your argument doesn't hold water.

By Gary DeMar
1-2-13

(Excerpt)

Read more at:
Please note that there is no provision in this amendment that Congress is given the right to equally apply this power. It simply leaves the issue up Congress.

By Gary DeMar
1-2-13

(Excerpt)

Read more at:

You might have had a point if those people who earn a whole lot of cash didn't have different rules for their taxes than those who actually worked for a living.

I've got news for you, in order to take advantage of the biggest breaks on taxes, you've got to have a lot of money.

I promise you.......................no enlisted military person would ever be able to take advantage of what Donald the Chump does. They don't make enough money.

And..................I should know...................I was a PN in the U.S. Navy for 20 years.

Gary DeMar, noted Constitutional Scholar.........and extremist blogger........dishes on taxes.

Everyone is treated equally if everyone who earns a certain income is taxed at the same rate. Not any income.....but a certain income.

Thread fail.

Property has no rights

Every American is taxed the same..........every dollar is not

LOL

Half of Americans don't have any of their property taken by the Fed at all.

Equal my ass.

Your first $10,000 and Bill Gates first $10,000 are taxed at the same rate

Is this a great country or what?

Different levels of confiscation are the violation of equal protection.

They take half my stuff, they should take half of your stuff. All $78 of it.

Your $10K 'level' is arbitrary and as such it is a violation of equal protection.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back