Does Christianity Allow Nationalism?

Not sure about nationalism, but in Romans, Christians are told to be loyal to their civil autorities.
Romans 13:

1: Let every person be loyally subject to the governing (civil) authorities. For their is no authority except from God [by His permission, His sanction], and those that exist do so by God's appointment. [Prov. 8:15.]

2: Therefore he who resists and sets himself up agains the authorities resists what God has appointed and arranged [in divine order]. And those who resist will bring down judgment upon themselves [receiving the penalty of due them].

I guess, in a way, this is an endorsement of Nationalism in the Bible.....

The Bible encourages us to be respectful of any authority that does not contradict God's teachings, and, in fact, there's many forms of nationalism throughout the Bible. Mainly, it's people of the Jewish nation standing up against their oppressors or uniting for a common cause, but there're a few others. For example, Paul often flaunted his Roman citizenship in order to avoid persecution by local governors, since Roman citizens could, if their life, liberty, or well being were at stake, demand the trial be relocated to Rome, where the courts favored Romans over non-Romans.

I, personally, have a very strong sense of nationalism towards to United States, and would die, surrounded by the bodies of my enemies, defending her. I would also die overthrowing an oppressive government that tried to ruin the heart and soul of America. At the Naval Academy, I swore to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foriegn and domestic. When I left, the government released me from that oath, but I did not.

I can't link to hate sites from work, so I'm not going to try and read the article. But the Bible is clear that while we are to respect civil authorities, our citizenship is in heaven. Therefore, while there is nothing wrong with loving our country or having allegiance to our government, our ultimate allegiance should always be to Christ and His kingdom.

Forum List

Back