Does big government equal social justice???

Its crazy how many of these right wing fools HATE the government our founders left us

The founders probably wouldn't recognize the government as it is today.

90% of thier responses to current federal programs would be "why aren't the states handling this?"

Yeah like George Washington..the same cat who crushed the Whiskey Rebellion..

Oh wait..:eusa_eh:

:lol:
Sooo bad decisions of the past means we must do dumb things in the future?

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Why not go to an all volunteer tax system??? That way no one is in the drivers seat of control over others, & the class envy that plagues the big government crowd would then be gone... so would polarization.

So many misconceptions. So much stupid spin.

Social justice is the way to ensure everyone gets an even break. Since the vast majority of the wealth is held by the slimmest of minorities, the essential failing of Capitalism is glaringly apparent. Once that wealth has disappeared from the grasp of each working American, the very American dream is endangered.

Many so called pundits on the right (and that 'right is getting more and more extreme) cite social justice as some Communist cabal. It figures. The right has a playbook for political success. And that playbook calls for playing the 'Communist" card whenever their political policies have failed. They started playing that commie card way back in 1919 and every thirty years or so, they dust it off and play it again.

How much justice can there be in a system that permits, even encourages by legislation that wealth can be consolidated among the very few? Reagan introduced "Supply Side" economics (Trickle Down or Voodoo Economics) and completely ignored the demand side! Coddle the rich with tax cuts, rewrite legislation to prevent monopolies and trusts that are "too big to fail" and bail the bastards out once they have committed enough common sense infractions and run the whole system into a ditch.

The basic problem with ignoring the demand side is it cuts the strength out from under the consumer base in our system of economics. Forget the consumer and who's left to buy the goods and services provided by the Supply Side?

And here's the real kicker: the very people most adversely effected by the consolidation of wealth (the American middle class consumer) are the folks hoodwinked by the pundits. How many people face foreclosure, and increase in tax rates (see "Flat Tax") and a vanishing industrial base. Do you suppose those modern American "Conservatives" have actually thought out how their compliance with Supply Side economic policies have screwed them blue? I doubt it! There's enough of a side show with the 'pundits' to keep them distracted from the wreck happening in their own lives. The pundits distract with social issues that foment hate and division. It gives those non-thinking American Conservatives enough red meat (hating immigrants, gays, minorities and the political opposition) and prevents real analysis of destructive policies like "Free Trade" and "Flat Taxes".

And so, we get the Social Justice movement. The pundits immediately play the Communist Card and voilà! The danger is apparent to the modern Conservative and any hope of understanding the means and ends of the movement are veneered by the old Red Scare!
Remember, on ever 1040 form, there is a line that says, "how much extra would you like to pay in tax?"

Why every liberal hasn't filled this out to be the remainder of their evil profit they earned by wages or economic activity is a total mystery to me.

After all, they demand it of OTHER people.

Right wingers sure love their "magic words". Oh the threat of "big government". And yet, it's them that want to create enormous "big government" to trample the rights of American citizens and go to war against any country that they imagine is a "threat".

Right wingers sure love their "magic words". Oh the threat of "big government". And yet, it's them that want to create enormous "big government" to trample the rights of American citizens and go to war against any country that they imagine is a "threat".
Explain again how desiring to end all federal social spending and it's connected bureaucracy is INCREASING the size of government?

I'd love to see that math.

Explain again how desiring to end all federal social spending and it's connected bureaucracy is INCREASING the size of government?

I'm truly worried about DeanyBaby. That post was uncharacteristically weak.. I think maybe he should rotate back to DailyKos for some R&R and a reload..

Dean would do the math for you, but he only has 12 fingers and 12 toes.

Social justice is a term, generally applied by the left, to describe a society with a greater degree of economic egalitarianism through progressive taxation, income redistribution, or even property redistribution, policies aimed toward achieving that which developmental economists refer to as equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

Social justice is described in much of John Rawls' writing. It is a part of Catholic social teaching and is one of the Four Pillars of the Green Party upheld by the worldwide green parties. Some tenets of social justice have been adopted by those on the left or center-left of the political spectrum. Social justice is also a concept that some use to describe the movement towards a socially just world. In this context, social justice is based on the concepts of human rights and equality.

Social justice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noticed that a lot of foundations and groups connected to BO admin
are rabid promoters of SJ.

=================

Social justice on the agenda at Climate Change Treaty meeting
October 05, 2009

A draft of the Copenhagen Climate Change Treaty dated September 15th is currently available for inspection here. (H/T Watts Up With That). Some of the draft language is best described as a communist manifesto dressed up in UN leotards. Some notable quotes:

---

The economic incentives have the potential to be so high that the truth matters little. We have seen this in the United States when Dow Corning was sued into bankruptcy over silicone breast implants. The entire document sets up a framework that would reward charlatans and pseudo science and create a huge economic incentive to suppress dissenting opinions on Anthropogenic Global Warming Theory (AGW). It creates a give away to African despots eager to blame their own failure son anyone else but themselves. Why is the US wasting it's time, money, and resources even entertaining this rubbish?

Archived Blog: Social justice on the agenda at Climate Change Treaty meeting

Social Justice Organizations

Last edited:
Looks to me like big gov't is mostly about giving huge tax breaks, loopholes, exemptions, and subsidies to the big corps. Both sides of the aisle do it, let's not kid ourselves. Not much social justice there.

Yeah, when we had small government we had slavery, and only a few Americans could vote, and those Americans could only vote for one half of one third of the government. As the government grew in size it seems we added a lot more more social justice. Can we now have a cause of social justice, big government?

Yeah, when we had small government we had slavery, and only a few Americans could vote, and those Americans could only vote for one half of one third of the government. As the government grew in size it seems we added a lot more more social justice. Can we now have a cause of social justice, big government?
Well no kkidding -- once a significant portion of the people figured out they could get government handouts - all paid for by the rich - if they voted for the right ptoplt. those handouts began to flow.

This is no accident - iti's how the Democratic party retains its voter base.

It appears to me that many of the constituency seem to view big government as the 'cure all' regarding social inequality. Both taxes & wealth redistribution seem to be the preferred avenues that the social equality crowd navigates to arrive at their expectations. I must ask though, IF big government does indeed bring forth true social equality how does the social equality crowd explain Former senator Ted Kennedy & senator John McCain??? I mean both senators mentioned were/are wealthy far beyond their government pay allotment by all assessments.
I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest here, just curious how the big government crowd goes about rationalizing their love affair with big government.

a helluva lot better than big business does

Your knowledge of American history is abysmally inaccurate. And also irrelevant. Big gov't hasn't done much for social justice over the past 30-40 years, has it? You guys have been bitching like crazy about income inequality since then, right? Can't wait to hear the rationalization for this one.

Forum List

Back