Does Anyone Think This Is A Good Idea?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I understand and respect those that differ with GW on Iraq. What I do not understand is that since we are now committed, that something like this is a good idea. If a Democrat should win in 2008, which is a likely scenario, I not only think the nonsense will stop, but they will in all likelihood increase the involvement, (note the last part of the quote regarding the Senate).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070322/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq

Dems labor for sure majority on pullout

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent1 hour, 7 minutes ago

On the eve of a critical vote, House Democrats labored Thursday to lock down a majority behind a Sept. 1, 2008, date for the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops from Iraq, the sternest test yet for a determined new majority eager to challenge President Bush.

"If it comes off it's a superb accomplishment," said Rep. Barney Frank (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass., as the party's leaders cajoled liberals who want an even faster timetable and moderates fearful of tying the hands of the commander in chief and generals in the field.

Democratic aides expressed growing confidence of success when the vote is called, which could be as early as Friday. As evidence, they pointed to support from several longtime opponents of the war.

"I want this war ended today. If I thought it would help this war ending sooner by voting against the bill, I would vote against it in a heartbeat," said Rep. Jim McGovern of Massachusetts, who sponsored legislation for a troop withdrawal in 2005.

"But I don't believe that to be the case," he added of the measure, which combines funding for the war, the troop withdrawal deadline and billions of dollars in funding for politically popular programs at home ranging from farm aid to relief for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The legislation marks Congress' most direct challenge to date of Bush's policy in a war that has claimed the lives of nearly 3,200 U.S. troops.

As debate began in the House, Republicans criticized it vociferously. "The bill is a sham," said Rep. Harold Rogers (news, bio, voting record) of Kentucky, adding it would "provide fodder for our enemies abroad."

Bush has threatened to veto the bill, opposing both the troop withdrawal provision and billions of dollars in spending that Democrats added.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said any delay in approving the funds could "have a genuinely adverse affect on the readiness of the Army and the quality of life for soldiers and their families."

White House press secretary Tony Snow sharpened the message. "There's a very real chance that money for the troops will run out while members of Congress are on vacation," he said. "Is that the message you want to send to men and women who are putting their lives on the line?"

Across the Capitol, a Senate committee launched legislation taking a slightly different approach — setting a date for the beginning of a withdrawal but only a nonbinding goal of March 31, 2008, for the final exit of combat forces.

The Dems are behaving in a very shortsighted fashion, even for their own political power accretion agenda. I doubt they would want a future Dem president's executive power to be so curtailed by a future GOP controlled Congress, which is what they are staging with this vote.

Forum List

Back