Does anyone think Spanish and English will merge, much like the Normans...

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
In the year of 1066, the Normans infused French into the Old Enlgish dialect. Having been studying Old English (and Frisian) and Middle English (after the Norman conquest), I am beginning to wonder if a modern parallel is about to occur.

At my first job I learned to speak Spanish with near fluency, enough to where one of my girlfriends spoke Spanish only ( :)). I love the Spanish language, and I can often hear the relation between English words [of French origin] and Spanish, as they both share Latin roots.

With both Modern English and Spanish being of Latin descent, I would very much imagine that within two or three hundred years we'll have entered a new era in the English language. Latin America will continue to speak Spanish as it is spoken today, and the UK/Australia will continue to speak English as it is today, but the United States will be speaking a new hybrid tongue!

In fact, I believe the assumption to be so logical, that it would be an extraordinary claim for this to NOT be possible.

Exactly. And I wish those folks 300 years from now that I don't care about the best of luck with their spanglish endeavors.

English is not of Latin descent despite French and Latin influences (and many other influences for that matter). English is a Germanic language.

In the year of 1066, the Normans infused French into the Old Enlgish dialect. Having been studying Old English (and Frisian) and Middle English (after the Norman conquest), I am beginning to wonder if a modern parallel is about to occur.

At my first job I learned to speak Spanish with near fluency, enough to where one of my girlfriends spoke Spanish only ( :)). I love the Spanish language, and I can often hear the relation between English words [of French origin] and Spanish, as they both share Latin roots.

With both Modern English and Spanish being of Latin descent, I would very much imagine that within two or three hundred years we'll have entered a new era in the English language. Latin America will continue to speak Spanish as it is spoken today, and the UK/Australia will continue to speak English as it is today, but the United States will be speaking a new hybrid tongue!

In fact, I believe the assumption to be so logical, that it would be an extraordinary claim for this to NOT be possible.

Yeah I would NOT be surprised if SPANGLISH didn't become a language in the American South West in the next couple hundred years or so.

Quien knows, eh, amigo?:eusa_whistle:

In the year of 1066, the Normans infused French into the Old Enlgish dialect. Having been studying Old English (and Frisian) and Middle English (after the Norman conquest), I am beginning to wonder if a modern parallel is about to occur...

It's not.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... come back inna couple hundred years...

... an' dey won't be no white people left...

... an' ever'body gonna be speakin' Spanglish.
:eek:

Last edited:
Languages change as the world changes.

Language belongs to the living, not to the dead.

English will evolve just as it has been doing for the last 1000 years or so.

I think all languages evolve. With instant internet access around the globe it is more likely to share phrases and words.

It appears English is becoming the dominant language around the globe and may someday become the global language

A nation-state purposelly, voluntarily erasing its own racial and cultural heritage, the very same thing the rest of the world fights tooth and nail to preserve...

We don't need your granny telling us America is batshit crazy, waltky... just a couple of functioning neurons is more than enough. :razz:

José;7102346 said:

A nation-state purposelly, voluntarily erasing its own racial and cultural heritage, the very same thing the rest of the world fights tooth and nail to preserve...

We don't need your granny telling us America is batshit crazy, waltky... just a couple of functioning neurons is more than enough. :razz:

Nations seldom have the authority to change or repress a language.

Oh they've tried many times to do but they usually fail unless they commit genocide, and even then they usually fail.

The Germans tried to repress the Czech language for nearly 400 years, but the language survived, as but on example.

Language is the uncontrollable, unstoppable, and unkillable evidence of the collective consciousness.

All living languages (and not all are) change over time in varying ways and to varying degrees, but that does not mean that there is any inevitable track to how languages, and the cultures represented by them, will change in the future. If you think of all the circumstances and influences over a very long period of time that have resulted in modern American English as we know it today, it is difficult to take away any predictive elements beyond the most general.

While I do not have the credentials of the poster, I do have background in both German and Spanish, having once been quite fluent in German and speaking Spanish on a daily basis at home.

The majority of the English Language comes from Norse/German/French/Latin sources. That means many English words with Latin backgrounds are already closely related to Spanish words.

Spanglish already exists and is quite common in areas with large Hispanic areas.

At the same time, Lefties are doing their best to REDUCE the importance of English by making many government documents bi-lingual - to include ballots and instructions for applying for government benefits.

One other point - ENGLISH is the most spoken language in the world! [Other than Chinese in that country; but with several different important dialects.] It is used in almost every technological field and each country has it's own form of XXXXlish.

English is the most commonly spoken foreign or second language in the world. Mandarin has the greatest number of native speakers.

'
Long before English and Spanish have time to creolize, the way French and English did, they both will be inundated and submerged by Globish. Already, in most of the major cities of the world, people communicate more and more in a pidgin of various languages. Eventually, these pidgins will evolve into creoles, with recognizable grammar. Of course, for a very long time, nothing of complexity and subtlety will be able to be communicated in the coming Globish creole -- but that is unimportant, since brainwashing by entertainment and government is already robbing people of the ability to think with any coherence.

My view is that there is only one natural language which is worthy of becoming a world language -- that possesses the depth and beauty and precision to serve as the basis of a true World Civilisation, and that language is Ancient Greek.

If I were dictator of the world I would force all people to learn ancient Greek, under pain of severe penalties if they failed to do so. Only then might there be some hope that society could avoid hurtling into the abyss of the coming Idiocracy.

Ye know ek that in form of speech is chaungë
Within a thusand yeer, and wordës tho
That hadden prys, now wonder nyce and straungë
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And sped as well in love as men now do;
Ek for to wynnen love in sondry agës
In sondry londës sondry ben usagës.

---Geoffrey Chaucer, Troilus and Criseyde, II, iv -- English circa 1400 A.D.

"You know also that in form of speech is change
Within a thousand years, and words then
Which had value [price], now wondrously foolish [nice] and strange
It seems them to us, and yet they spoke them so,
And sped as well in love as men do now;
Also, in order to win love in various [sundry] ages,
In various lands, various have been the ways of proceeding [usages]."

English is not of Latin descent despite French and Latin influences (and many other influences for that matter). English is a Germanic language.

Sort of Germanic. It has a lot of Germanic vocabulary, but the syntax is Celtic and there's the Norse influence, too, and all the words adopted from other languages. It's really a mutt language which, like the hybrid vigor of mongrel dogs, is its greatest strength.

Yeah I would NOT be surprised if SPANGLISH didn't become a language in the American South West in the next couple hundred years or so.

Quien knows, eh, amigo?:eusa_whistle:

I savvy.

Forum List

Back