Does anyone make their own dog/cat food for your pet?

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
I got a recipe to make calming dog bones. You use lavender and chamomile and other ingredients. One of my dogs is a foodie and will eat anyscrap and any dog food. But the other dog hates most of the dog food brands on the market. So I am thinking of making him home made dog food recipes. Just wondered if anyone else does that. Can you make a batch for the week or do you have to make it fresh everyday.

My wife started making her own dog treats for our pup but we still bought commercial dog food.

That's really neat. My one dog is very snobby, he also enjoys being fed from a fork. He acts like he needs a home made fresh prepared meal, while the other dog will eat a mcdonalds shitty dog version of canned food. :lol:

I used to. At the time, I had chickens and would cook veggies, legumes, etc for the dogs and would add an egg. Dogs are omnivores so its easy to keep them very healthy on a homemade diet. I had a dog with really severe skin issues and I was able to get it under control with a high quality, vegetarian diet. You might also look in to a (fad?) of making and feeding only raw food.

I also made their treats. They loved them but I finally got to the point where I didn't have the time to devote to it.

Cats are true carnivores so cannot be fed a vegan diet. Even vegetarian can be hard to get right. They require taurine, which is available only from animal sources. Taurine is available in eggs so I did think about it but I just didn't like the science behind it. There are also supplements available.

Most commercial dog and cat food really isn't all that healthy. I'm not crazy about any commercial dog and cat foods but we buy Blue Buffalo and Science Diet.

I'm always open to other ideas ...

I got a recipe to make calming dog bones. You use lavender and chamomile and other ingredients. One of my dogs is a foodie and will eat anyscrap and any dog food. But the other dog hates most of the dog food brands on the market. So I am thinking of making him home made dog food recipes. Just wondered if anyone else does that. Can you make a batch for the week or do you have to make it fresh everyday.
I cook up enough for three or four days and keep it in the fridge in the summer. In the winter I dry the meat for them and make them cookies or feed them cereal to supplement their meat. Unless you have the ability to dry the food and use preservatives home made food will spoil quickly.

My wife started making her own dog treats for our pup but we still bought commercial dog food.

That's really neat. My one dog is very snobby, he also enjoys being fed from a fork. He acts like he needs a home made fresh prepared meal, while the other dog will eat a mcdonalds shitty dog version of canned food. :lol:

I'm sure that "mom" spoils her pups with whatever they want!

I used to. At the time, I had chickens and would cook veggies, legumes, etc for the dogs and would add an egg. Dogs are omnivores so its easy to keep them very healthy on a homemade diet. I had a dog with really severe skin issues and I was able to get it under control with a high quality, vegetarian diet. You might also look in to a (fad?) of making and feeding only raw food.

I also made their treats. They loved them but I finally got to the point where I didn't have the time to devote to it.

Cats are true carnivores so cannot be fed a vegan diet. Even vegetarian can be hard to get right. They require taurine, which is available only from animal sources. Taurine is available in eggs so I did think about it but I just didn't like the science behind it. There are also supplements available.

Most commercial dog and cat food really isn't all that healthy. I'm not crazy about any commercial dog and cat foods but we buy Blue Buffalo and Science Diet.

Thanks. I have taurine as a supplement I take myself. When you used to make your dog homemade food, did you prepare it for weekly meals or have to make it every day fresh? Also, my understanding is dogs can have sweet potato, rice, carrot and peas, eggs and process it with no problems. I can get chicken rotisseries from Wal-mart after 8 pm for like $2.00.

I cook up enough for three or four days and keep it in the fridge in the summer. In the winter I dry the meat for them and make them cookies or feed them cereal to supplement their meat. Unless you have the ability to dry the food and use preservatives home made food will spoil quickly.

I have a food dehydrator but haven't ever used it. What kind of cereal?

Thanks. I have taurine as a supplement I take myself. When you used to make your dog homemade food, did you prepare it for weekly meals or have to make it every day fresh? Also, my understanding is dogs can have sweet potato, rice, carrot and peas, eggs and process it with no problems. I can get chicken rotisseries from Wal-mart after 8 pm for like $2.00.
My two-hundred pound pyre had skin issues. He ate one pound of meat, 16oz carrots, three cups of oatmeal and 16oz of green beans every day plus whatever other goodies i could give him (people food). He lived seven years longer than any of his litter mates.

The one dog that is snobby about dog food, he gets sick on certain name brands. So this is why I need to figure what he likes to eat that sits well with him.

My two-hundred pound pyre had skin issues. He ate one pound of meat, 16oz carrots, three cups of oatmeal and 16oz of green beans every day plus whatever other goodies i could give him (people food). He lived seven years longer than any of his litter mates.

I would post a picture but my other laptop just broke and I don't have their pictures on this one. They are 11 months old Great Dane/Newfoundland Mixes. So they are quite big even though still puppies.

I buy whatever is reasonable without a lot of sugar when I can find it on sale. Mine like them all, large dogs eat a lot. When I get liver I add grains, flour, diatomaceous earth and dried bulk from veggies I have juiced too if I have them. <they love the cookies.

I buy whatever is reasonable without a lot of sugar when I can find it on sale. Mine like them all, large dogs eat a lot. When I get liver I add grains, flour, diatomaceous earth and dried bulk from veggies I have juiced too if I have them. <they love the cookies.

We have diatomaceous earth, I wonder if I give that it will help with his sensitive stomach, also I have tried putting a little colloidal silver in the water. I live in the country and I think he nibbles on foxtails but his brother does the same and doesn't seem to be as sensitive.

I'm sure that "mom" spoils her pups with whatever they want!

This is the recipe I have and it helps dogs calm down if they are anxious or excitable like noises from 4th of july. Maybe your wife would like this.

HOMEMADE LAVENDER DOG TREATS FOR CALM DOGS

I would post a picture but my other laptop just broke and I don't have their pictures on this one. They are 11 months old Great Dane/Newfoundland Mixes. So they are quite big even though still puppies.
The younger one we have loves almost all fruits (except citrus) and vegetables, banana and avocado are favorites if we have them they will eat those too. i caught mommy dog in the grocery sack one day stealing avocados so when I get home with stuff like that it gets put away right away.

We have diatomaceous earth, I wonder if I give that it will help with his sensitive stomach, also I have tried putting a little colloidal silver in the water. I live in the country and I think he nibbles on foxtails but his brother does the same and doesn't seem to be as sensitive.
Dogs can get the same stomach parasites people get and people can get the same that dogs get. I'm sure the chems and gmo affect them the same as it does us.

The younger one we have loves almost all fruits (except citrus) and vegetables, banana and avocado are favorites if we have them they will eat those too. i caught mommy dog in the grocery sack one day stealing avocados so when I get home with stuff like that it gets put away right away.

Dogs can get the same stomach parasites people get and people can get the same that dogs get. I'm sure the chems and gmo affect them the same as it does us.

Thanks for all your feedback. I will update in this thread after I've switche hm for a week.

I'd make a fairly large amount for the coming week and store it in the refrigerator.

If you're going to feed chicken, I wouldn't get the rotisserie chicken for anything. Seriously, it's old, yuk. And the meat in the grocery case for human consumption is already very old.You'll save a bunch by making your own food (even if you get only organic) so go for better quality on the meat.

I have used beef tongue when I've run low on mice. No fat, very dense protein and other nutrients. Its fresher because who the heck would eat beef tongue? You may have to ask your butcher to save it for you.

If someone says organic meat, don't "bite". There's no such thing because there's no such thing as organic feed. Its loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones and now the regulations for inspections of meat have ended or will shortly. Not a good time to be a meat eater. Or, for that matter, an air breather or water drinker!

Have you checked web sites about home made critter food?

This link is a few years old, but gives an idea of nutrition in most dog foods by ingredients.
Dog Food Reviews

Here is one link (of many) on raw food diet for dogs.....
Raw Diet For Dogs: The Basics

We have a Jack that eats anything and a Shepard/Lab/Pit mix that will eat anything BUT dog food unless he's really hungry and nothing else available. I have tried to make their food on purpose just for them, but it does get to be time consuming and not always practical. Even though they have dry dog food (best I can afford at the time) available at all times, they eat more from what we eat....as in I prepare meals large enough they eat from it as well. I make sure to include protein, fruits/veggies, grains, fats & oils.

Dogs can also eat freezer burnt foods as well, so next time you clean out your freezer....don't toss it. Unless it's really really bad, then it might make them sick, but I have done this too and they are fine with it.
Mine also love it when I'm cleaning a leftover chicken carcass from dinner the night before.....they get all the skin, fat, gristle and cartilage. Just no bones

Just be sure to not feed things like grapes, raisins, chocolate, onions, mushrooms, macadamia nuts, garlic etc..........although my dogs have eaten most of these things, they've never gotten sick. I've even treated them for worms using garlic & cayenne pepper in their food. It worked and no problems from it.

I'd make a fairly large amount for the coming week and store it in the refrigerator.

If you're going to feed chicken, I wouldn't get the rotisserie chicken for anything. Seriously, it's old, yuk. And the meat in the grocery case for human consumption is already very old.You'll save a bunch by making your own food (even if you get only organic) so go for better quality on the meat.

I have used beef tongue when I've run low on mice. No fat, very dense protein and other nutrients. Its fresher because who the heck would eat beef tongue? You may have to ask your butcher to save it for you.

If someone says organic meat, don't "bite". There's no such thing because there's no such thing as organic feed. Its loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones and now the regulations for inspections of meat have ended or will shortly. Not a good time to be a meat eater. Or, for that matter, an air breather or water drinker!

I heard if you boil raw store bought chicken it gets out the antibiotics and crap put in it. There's a foam that rises to the top of the water.

Yes, I've read some websites looking for recipes for homemade dog food. That's where I learned they can have sweet potato. But I wasn;t sure how much amount to do for my dogs great dane/newfoundland mix.

I heard if you boil raw store bought chicken it gets out the antibiotics and crap put in it. There's a foam that rises to the top of the water.

Yes, I've read some websites looking for recipes for homemade dog food. That's where I learned they can have sweet potato. But I wasn;t sure how much amount to do for my dogs great dane/newfoundland mix.

I wouldn't give them more than a third of the total make up of the dog food. (1/3 meat, 1/3 fruit/veggie, 1/3 starch/grain) and that is just to illustrate my comment and is NOT an actual breakdown amount on what foods would make up their total daily diet.
Dogs 'food pyramid' is completely different than humans, and I'm sure you can find actual amounts of types of food to include for their nutritional needs . Your dogs are puppies??? Their needs are even more different, but HOLY COW they are or will be HUGE dogs and will need lots of food

Forum List

Back