Does anyone know the answer

muckraker

Rookie
May 28, 2012
I went to the Whitehouse OMB site and downloaded the historical budget table. It says the public debt is 10 trillion. As I remember that was the debt at the end of the Bush admin. The US debt clock says we owe 15 trillion. Does anyone know which is correct and why they are different?

I went to the Whitehouse OMB site and downloaded the historical budget table. It says the public debt is 10 trillion. As I remember that was the debt at the end of the Bush admin. The US debt clock says we owe 15 trillion. Does anyone know which is correct and why they are different?

Dial 9-1-1 and ask for Obama.
He's on the golf course, more than likely, and will have to be paged.
So please be patient.

Public debt offerings vs. intra-governmental borrowings.. aka.. robbing SS and other funds.

Ask Clinton.... it's what he used to fraudulently claim he was balancing the budget.

Last edited:

You actually think you should believe something coming from the White House? What the fuck is WRONG with you, son?

The figures probably do not include the interest on the debt. Obama has not increased the debt we suffer from it's all from Bush and his legislation than hands welfare to the 1% with taxpayer funds.

The figures probably do not include the interest on the debt. Obama has not increased the debt we suffer from it's all from Bush and his legislation than hands welfare to the 1% with taxpayer funds.

:lol:

:lol:

He IS joking, right?

Granny knows the answer, she says "Dem politicians got us drownin' in debt an' we need to vote the whole cussed bunch outta office...
:eek:
Debt Up $1.59T Under GOP House—More in 15 Months Than First 97 Congresses Combined
June 1, 2012 - The Republican-controlled House of Representatives, which took office in January 2011, has enacted federal spending bills under which the national debt has increased more in less than one term of Congress than in the first 97 Congresses combined.
In the fifteen months that the Republican-controlled House of Representatives--led by Speaker John Boehner--has effectively enjoyed a constitutional veto over federal spending, the federal government’s debt has increased by about $1.59 trillion. Article 1, Section 9, Clause 7 of the Constitution says: “No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law.” A law appropriating money cannot be enacted unless it is approved by the House.

The approximately $1.59 trillion in new debt accumulated since the Republican-controlled House gained a veto over federal spending legislation is more than the total increase in the federal debt between 1789, when the first Congress convened, and October 1984, when the 98th Congress was nearing the end of its second session. Rep. Frederick Muhlenberg of Pennsylvania served as speaker in the first Congress. Rep. Tip O’Neill of Massachusetts served his third term as speaker in the 98th Congress.

When Boehner became speaker on Jan. 5, 2011, the federal government was operating under a continuing resolution that had been passed on Dec. 21, 2010 by a lame-duck Congress. That CR expired on March 4, 2011. On March 1, 2011, Boehner agreed to a new short-term spending deal with President Barack Obama and Democratic congressional leaders to keep the government running past the March 4, 2011 expiration of the old CR. Since March 4, 2011, federal expenditures have been carried out under a series of CRs approved by both the Republican-controlled House and the Democrat-controlled Senate and signed into law by President Obama.

At the close of business on March 4, 2011, the total federal debt was $14,182,627,184,881.03, according to the Treasury Department's Bureau of the Public Debt. At the close of business on May 31, 2012, it was 15,770,685,085,364.14. That is an increase of $1,588,057,900,483.11—in just 15 months. All of the debt accumulated by the federal government throughout the history of the country did not exceed $1.588 trillion until October 1984. Under the Republican-controlled House, the federal debt has been increasing at an average pace of about $105.9 billion per month.

MORE

Public debt offerings vs. intra-governmental borrowings..

Exactly.

The rest of the responses in this topic have been from people with STUPID stamped on their foreheads. Don't bother listening to them, muckraker.

It's a election year and the debt is 15 trillion and counting.

This is sarcasm right? Cause it sure ain't reality.

Public debt offerings vs. intra-governmental borrowings.. aka.. robbing SS and other funds.

Ask Clinton.... it's what he used to fraudulently claim he was balancing the budget.

Damn this rep system time out BS.

Granny knows the answer, she says "Dem politicians got us drownin' in debt an' we need to vote the whole cussed bunch outta office...
:eek:
Debt Up $1.59T Under GOP House—More in 15 Months Than First 97 Congresses Combined
June 1, 2012 - The Republican-controlled House of Representatives, which took office in January 2011, has enacted federal spending bills under which the national debt has increased more in less than one term of Congress than in the first 97 Congresses combined.
In the fifteen months that the Republican-controlled House of Representatives--led by Speaker John Boehner--has effectively enjoyed a constitutional veto over federal spending, the federal government’s debt has increased by about $1.59 trillion. Article 1, Section 9, Clause 7 of the Constitution says: “No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law.” A law appropriating money cannot be enacted unless it is approved by the House.

The approximately $1.59 trillion in new debt accumulated since the Republican-controlled House gained a veto over federal spending legislation is more than the total increase in the federal debt between 1789, when the first Congress convened, and October 1984, when the 98th Congress was nearing the end of its second session. Rep. Frederick Muhlenberg of Pennsylvania served as speaker in the first Congress. Rep. Tip O’Neill of Massachusetts served his third term as speaker in the 98th Congress.

When Boehner became speaker on Jan. 5, 2011, the federal government was operating under a continuing resolution that had been passed on Dec. 21, 2010 by a lame-duck Congress. That CR expired on March 4, 2011. On March 1, 2011, Boehner agreed to a new short-term spending deal with President Barack Obama and Democratic congressional leaders to keep the government running past the March 4, 2011 expiration of the old CR. Since March 4, 2011, federal expenditures have been carried out under a series of CRs approved by both the Republican-controlled House and the Democrat-controlled Senate and signed into law by President Obama.

At the close of business on March 4, 2011, the total federal debt was $14,182,627,184,881.03, according to the Treasury Department's Bureau of the Public Debt. At the close of business on May 31, 2012, it was 15,770,685,085,364.14. That is an increase of $1,588,057,900,483.11—in just 15 months. All of the debt accumulated by the federal government throughout the history of the country did not exceed $1.588 trillion until October 1984. Under the Republican-controlled House, the federal debt has been increasing at an average pace of about $105.9 billion per month.

MORE

Boehner spends like Christie eats it appears. :lol:

You're joking? Please tell me you aren't being serious

This is sarcasm right? Cause it sure ain't reality.

I hope he doesn't believe that shit.

To expand in what Soggy in NOLA was saying, the difference appears to come from whether one counts gross government debt or net government debt (United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The $10T figure does not include money that is owed to federal entities such as the Social Security Trust Fund. To my mind that is a somewhat more meaningful number (since borrowing from or lending to one's self should not change how indebted one is) but the gross debt (i.e., the $15T) is the conventionally cited figure.

Table 7.1

16.3 T

To expand in what Soggy in NOLA was saying, the difference appears to come from whether one counts gross government debt or net government debt (United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The $10T figure does not include money that is owed to federal entities such as the Social Security Trust Fund. To my mind that is a somewhat more meaningful number (since borrowing from or lending to one's self should not change how indebted one is) but the gross debt (i.e., the $15T) is the conventionally cited figure.

The bills came due. Iraq is at LEAST 1.5 trillion by now, Cheney made sure those family held stock options soared. And those tax cuts meant higher state, local, and district taxes, which cost more to collect & disburse. We collect less, and the debt rises; since the income tax cuts were across the board, Bush made his Saudi friend happy. They got a windfall; we took a competitor OFF the world market.

Bush "saved' about 250 million by cutting the SELA project, but then Katrina hit, and the cost of that was at least 500 billion, losses include man hours lost, etc. 9/11 was another big loss, and so here we are. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back